2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
runningmanz
runningmanz

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Wouter wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 16:52
mwillems wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 16:46
SmallSoldier wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 16:40

Absolutely… It just didn’t work out.

He seems genuinely sad to leave the team:

He looks gutted, like when the partner you have strong feelings for doesn't actually want to be around you.

He looked emotional, bless him. I hope he has a tremendous end to his Mclaren career.
"So the team decided to make a change." So it wasn't his wish to leave the team. :-(
Looks like the chance to sign Piastri was too good for McLaren to pass up and they jumped on it with some help from Webber and co. Tough to watch that Twitter video though. He looks gutted. Handled it like a professional though. Not a bad word to say then if at all in his time at McLaren.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Sorry to say but ‘screw you Mclaren’. I hope your gamble on Piastri backfires and Daniel does amazing wherever he is next.

McLaren have been through a lot in recent times, losing Dennis, Eric, Honda to Renault, Renault to Mercedes. Alonso/Sainz, Sainz/Ricciardo. Too much swapping and changes in my eyes. Hope Dan blows Lando out the water (I’m a fan of Lando’s too though) and really makes McLaren regret this decision.

billamend
billamend

KeiKo403 wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 17:09
Hope Dan blows Lando out the water (I’m a fan of Lando’s too though) and really makes McLaren regret this decision.
He has had 2y to do it, we’re all still waiting for that.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Hey?

Dan hasn't blown Lando out tge water and doesn't look like he will in tge mclaren.

I'm unsure how the most blinkered of blinkered DR fans can't see this as tge correct choice

ort895
ort895

KeiKo403 wrote:
Sorry to say but ‘screw you Mclaren’. I hope your gamble on Piastri backfires and Daniel does amazing wherever he is next.

McLaren have been through a lot in recent times, losing Dennis, Eric, Honda to Renault, Renault to Mercedes. Alonso/Sainz, Sainz/Ricciardo. Too much swapping and changes in my eyes. Hope Dan blows Lando out the water (I’m a fan of Lando’s too though) and really makes McLaren regret this decision.
This is a strangely toxic view lol

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Surely only my first part though yeah? I get the screw you mclaren part, that was just my initial reaction/outburst. I’ll own that.

As for the Piastri backfire, I do stand by that and I’ll eat my words next year if Piastri is amazing. But replacing Daniel with a rookie is just straight up strange. I get that his performances this year are extremely lacking but it’s a bit of a slap in the face to replace him for a rookie, especially given his contract position.

organic

KeiKo403 wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 18:10
Surely only my first part though yeah? I get the screw you mclaren part, that was just my initial reaction/outburst. I’ll own that.

As for the Piastri backfire, I do stand by that and I’ll eat my words next year if Piastri is amazing. But replacing Daniel with a rookie is just straight up strange. I get that his performances this year are extremely lacking but it’s a bit of a slap in the face to replace him for a rookie, especially given his contract position.
Daniel's performance has basically been what i'd expect of a rookie; underwhelming and never on the pace of the lead driver but occasional good weekends across a season.

Replacing him with a rookie who they can develop, is potentially as quick or quicker (in their car), and is significantly cheaper makes sense for McLaren at this stage

Slahinki
Slahinki

KeiKo403 wrote:
... losing Dennis, Eric, Honda...
None of the above was a loss though. Your whole post is one incredibly weird take, tbh.

McL-H
McL-H

I feel sorry for Daniel. But the decision had to be made. He costs the team a lot of money and was not repaying them with the same results his teammate was capable of. But I really like Ricciardo and I seriously wished we had a better marriage. Will never forget his Monza win though. It is one of my favourite McLaren moments ever.

politburo
politburo

KeiKo403 wrote:

Let’s not get too emotional about it. It’s best for both parties, but I can understand why Ricciardo is emotional - never nice when your employer cuts you off early as it seems like they gave up on him.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

mwillems

KeiKo403 wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 18:10

If Mclaren are expecting big (or bigger) things from the '24 season they will want a driver lineup that is bedded in and ready to go, in terms of planning, '23 is a better season to be bringing a new driver in than '24, so whilst it does seem ruthless, it also does make sense.

And if Lando is ever pinched by a top team, they will want someone take take his mantle. Imagine if Lando was poached for '24 and DR's contract ran out at the end of '23, what would we do? It's a good shout in performance and in protecting our future.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Not a surprise but even if Oscar ends up in the seat (as I expect), Zak now has a problem in America with Pato and potentially Colton and Alex Palou all wondering what they are doing at AMSP when the F1 door is now seemingly closed. Even if Lando bolts in 2025 (which I doubt), that's probably too late for all of them to make the switch.

JPower
JPower

KeiKo403 wrote:
Were you this sympathetic for Red Bull and Renault when the reverse happened?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 19:14
Not a surprise but even if Oscar ends up in the seat (as I expect), Zak now has a problem in America with Pato and potentially Colton and Alex Palou all wondering what they are doing at AMSP when the F1 door is now seemingly closed. Even if Lando bolts in 2025 (which I doubt), that's probably too late for all of them to make the switch.
Interestingly… The tweet from from McLaren welcoming Alex Palou is now deleted… Gone… Queue the intrigue!

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 19:14
Seats in AMSP are still their closest chance to get to F1 and Piastri has to still succeed so whilst it is a bitter pill, ambition should see them through it. But it has to be a blow.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.