2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 05:08
Doesn’t look like there will be a new rear wing this weekend:

https://i.imgur.com/0rf3xEm.jpg
As long as both drivers get the new spec car I'll be happy.

It'll be interesting to see how Daniel goes with it, as Lando didn't seem too thrilled with some of the changes:
Norris had warned against getting too carried away regarding how much performance he could gain from the updates on his car, but having had the chance to use them he believes the handling has actually worsened compared to how he likes his car.

“It’s a very difficult question to answer, it’s so difficult to know,” Norris responded when asked how much influence the upgrades had on his performance.

“Like I said before, it’s not like it’s a big step forward. This car is a different-handling car in a way I kind of don’t like, but it’s more of a forward-looking car rather than a car just for this weekend.
"In downforce we trust"

SmallSoldier

djos wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 05:29
SmallSoldier wrote:

It'll be interesting to see how Daniel goes with it, as Lando didn't seem too thrilled with some of the changes:
Norris had warned against getting too carried away regarding how much performance he could gain from the updates on his car, but having had the chance to use them he believes the handling has actually worsened compared to how he likes his car.

“It’s a very difficult question to answer, it’s so difficult to know,” Norris responded when asked how much influence the upgrades had on his performance.

“Like I said before, it’s not like it’s a big step forward. This car is a different-handling car in a way I kind of don’t like, but it’s more of a forward-looking car rather than a car just for this weekend.
Let’s hope it was just a mix of the track (Singapore is very particular), the conditions and the fact that they are probably still learning how get the best out of the new package.

SmallSoldier

djos wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 05:29
SmallSoldier wrote:

Confirmed that both drivers will have the newest package

djos

Outstanding!
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

Zynerji wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 04:42
diffuser wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 00:37
proteus wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 21:15
I just red that Hyundai and Ford were in talks with RedBull before Honda decided to come back and i wonder if Zak Browns connection to US could mean a possible Ford engine supply in the future, if Ford decides to join.
I wonder how serious Ford's bid is to come back in. They were never involved when big bucks were required for engines. So I'd be sceptical in teaming up with them.
Ford has a lot of ICE engineers that are about to be unneeded in their modern full-EV push.

F1 might be 200iq for them until 2035, especially if it keeps them up to date on the tech if synthetic fuels become the new standard instead of full EV.
It's possible but the FORD from the past, didn't value spending the required $$$ to build a competitive F1 PU.

Don't forget the MGU-K is gonna play a bigger part in 2026. With 50% of the PU power coming from the MGU-K, they'll be running it like a MGU-H to charge the battery when the driver doesn't need the throttle. So F1 teams are gonna be spending alot of money trying to those 450 ponys fed.

Ben1980

Pato doing this testing. Does that help with points towards a super license? Does he need a certain anything to do a fp1 young driver session.?

SmallSoldier

Ben1980 wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 18:47
Pato doing this testing. Does that help with points towards a super license? Does he need a certain anything to do a fp1 young driver session.?
Testing won’t help for a Super License, but he can do an FP1 session without one (actually, the FP sessions contribute to getting points for a Super License)… He will probably be one to do a Young Driver session, which the team has to do 2 before the end of the year, he most probably drive in FP1 of the Mexican GP

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 13:37
Zynerji wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 04:42
diffuser wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 00:37

I wonder how serious Ford's bid is to come back in. They were never involved when big bucks were required for engines. So I'd be sceptical in teaming up with them.
Ford has a lot of ICE engineers that are about to be unneeded in their modern full-EV push.

F1 might be 200iq for them until 2035, especially if it keeps them up to date on the tech if synthetic fuels become the new standard instead of full EV.
It's possible but the FORD from the past, didn't value spending the required $$$ to build a competitive F1 PU.

Don't forget the MGU-K is gonna play a bigger part in 2026. With 50% of the PU power coming from the MGU-K, they'll be running it like a MGU-H to charge the battery when the driver doesn't need the throttle. So F1 teams are gonna be spending alot of money trying to those 450 ponys fed.
I'm not sure Ford are positioned correctly in the market to make the most from F1 exposure. I'd like to see them in F1 to be fair, but I'd be surprised if they made the numbers work, even in they want to keep a toe dipped in advanced ICE technologies.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

McL-H

Very bad FP2 for McLaren suffering brake issues. I read they had also taken the floor apart for some reason. Alpine seemed to be going quite well. Hope McLaren can fix their issues and find pace tomorrow.

CjC
CjC

Brake issues? Surely not over heating?
Just a fan's point of view

MrGapes

Don’t know if they had any issues.. these types of sessions usually aren’t very telling, but overall car just looked very understeery, I recall Lando asking for something like 10+ on the front wing in fp2.

CjC
CjC

10+ seconds? =P~
Just a fan's point of view

organic

CjC wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 12:35
10+ seconds? =P~
clicks of fw angle i assume

Swed3121

McL-H wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 09:54
Very bad FP2 for McLaren suffering brake issues. I read they had also taken the floor apart for some reason. Alpine seemed to be going quite well. Hope McLaren can fix their issues and find pace tomorrow.
Really not sure where you got that info from, nobody from the Team, or any broadcast said anything about Macca suffering any issues, simply that they had completed their run plan and wanted to save any wet/inter tyres left for possible rain on Sunday.

Also, it was 15c* track temp with pouring rain, brake issues don’t sound very plausible

organic

Swed3121 wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 14:12
McL-H wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 09:54
Really not sure where you got that info from, nobody from the Team, or any broadcast said anything about Macca suffering any issues, simply that they had completed their run plan and wanted to save any wet/inter tyres left for possible rain on Sunday.

Also, it was 15c* track temp with pouring rain, brake issues don’t sound very plausible
Leclerc had brake issues which is essentially confirmed by Duchessa. It's possible