2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

djos wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 00:04
AR3-GP wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 23:13
djos wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 23:00

Mclaren still need to fix their car design philosophy tho!

So does every other backmarker-esque midfield team :lol: . It's not an excuse to be so far behind a teammate though. I would hope Piastri can be close to Norris. F1s new talent pool is looking a bit barren outside of the likes of norris, ver, lec, russ.
According to Carlos who has driven AT's, Renault's and McLaren's, the McLaren's are unique in their handling traits. So stop making excuses - even Lando seems to be sick of them not resolving this long-standing issue!
I hope I haven't confused. I certainly don't intend to make any excuses for any driver :lol: . Quite the opposite actually. I'd like to cut away at making excuses for drivers in midfield cars. Great drivers find a way to look great in mediocre cars. Russell did it. Alonso did it and I believe Piastri can do it as well and that Mclaren have already figured it out from his testing in Barcelona from which there have been no concerning noises.

djos

billamend wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 00:23
djos wrote:
According to Carlos who has driven AT's, Renault's and McLaren's, the McLaren's are unique in their handling traits. So stop making excuses - even Lando seems to be sick of them not resolving this long-standing issue!
And yet, Alonso, Carlos, and Lando were able to around those quirks 🤔 I guess they either worked harder, are better drivers, or just more adaptable
I did not bring up Daniel, I'm merely highlighting changes that Lando has pointed out that need to be made.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 00:32
djos wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 23:13

So does every other backmarker-esque midfield team :lol: . It's not an excuse to be so far behind a teammate though. I would hope Piastri can be close to Norris. F1s new talent pool is looking a bit barren outside of the likes of norris, ver, lec, russ.
I hope I haven't confused. I certainly don't intend to make any excuses for any driver :lol: . Quite the opposite actually. I'd like to cut away at making excuses for drivers in midfield cars. Great drivers find a way to look great in mediocre cars. Russell did it. Alonso did it and I believe Piastri can do it as well and that Mclaren have already figured it out from his testing in Barcelona from which there have been no concerning noises.
My comments had nothing to do with drivers adapting to cars, I'm merely highlighting changes that Lando has pointed out that need to be made. If McLaren dont sort this out, they will never be able to fight for WDC's.

“It’s just our car,” he told Sky Sports, “the characteristics of the car. The things we struggled with, the car doesn’t have enough front. For me all I need is front. I don’t need rear tyres.

“But when I have front we can be quick.

“As soon as we destroy the front tyres, we were seconds off, of half a second, or one second off. So it’s just the characteristic that the car relies on too much.

“But we know all of this. We’ve known it, it’s just been something we’ve had for years sadly and it’s our job to get rid of that for next season.
"In downforce we trust"

AR3-GP

djos wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 00:49
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 00:32
djos wrote:

My comments had nothing to do with drivers adapting to cars, I'm merely highlighting changes that Lando has pointed out that need to be made. If McLaren dont sort this out, they will never be able to fight for WDC's.

“It’s just our car,” he told Sky Sports, “the characteristics of the car. The things we struggled with, the car doesn’t have enough front. For me all I need is front. I don’t need rear tyres.

“But when I have front we can be quick.

“As soon as we destroy the front tyres, we were seconds off, of half a second, or one second off. So it’s just the characteristic that the car relies on too much.

“But we know all of this. We’ve known it, it’s just been something we’ve had for years sadly and it’s our job to get rid of that for next season.
You mentioned excuses and I wanted to clarify that I'm not making excuses for Mclaren. They've built a howler. So have Alpine, Williams, AR, Haas, AT, and everyone else who didn't come anywhere near the level of Merc/RB/Ferrari this season.

However, this should not become Piastri's excuses. Piastri should not be blamed for not being able to win in a midifiel car, but he does have to bare the responsibility of matching or beating his teammate in the same equipment. He should aim to match or beat Norris no matter how terrible the car is. If he can match or beat Norris, he has a great future ahead of him.

Oscar deserves a lot of latitude for '23 as it will be his first season in the sport in an unfamiliar car against a pseudo-veteran teammate. However, he can make a big statement, so if he is able, now is the time.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 01 Dec 2022, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.

djos

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 01:02
You mentioned excuses and I wanted to clarify that I'm not making excuses for Mclaren. They've built a howler. So have Alpine, Williams, AR, Haas, AT, and everyone else who didn't come anywhere near the level of Merc/RB/Ferrari this season.

However, this should not become Piastri's excuses. Piastri should not be blamed for not being able to win in a midifiel car, but he does have to bare the responsibility or attempting to beat his teammate in the same equipment. He should aim to match or beat Norris no matter how terrible the car is. If he can match or beat Norris, he has a great future ahead of him.
I brought up Carlos' comments to highlight that McLaren have bigger handling issues than the other teams - stop trying to whitewash McLaren's issues!
"In downforce we trust"

AR3-GP

djos wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 01:05
AR3-GP wrote:

However, this should not become Piastri's excuses. Piastri should not be blamed for not being able to win in a midifiel car, but he does have to bare the responsibility or attempting to beat his teammate in the same equipment. He should aim to match or beat Norris no matter how terrible the car is. If he can match or beat Norris, he has a great future ahead of him.
I brought up Carlos' comments to highlight that McLaren have bigger handling issues than the other teams - stop trying to whitewash McLaren's issues!
Carlos was referring to a previous generation of Mclaren. None of us have any clue what "handling issues" the Mclaren has relative to other cars in 2022 of which neither Carlos nor Lando Norris have driven. The 2022 car may have no front end, but there are 5 other teams that Mclaren beat on merit. Whatever lack of front end the Mclaren had, 5 other cars had even less downforce. The Mclaren was the 5th fastest car of 2022.

Once again, I should mention that the Mclaren is a poor car. It's miles away from the leaders. So I've not whitewashed anything. It's a mediocre attempt at the 2022 regulations however, that is not so important for Piastri in his rookie season. It's not his fault that the car is mediocre and I and no one else is blaming him for it. He can only control what is in his power which is beating his teammate and moving to a team that can give him a car to win a title, if Mclaren won't do that.

djos

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 01:07
djos wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Carlos was referring to a previous generation of Mclaren. None of us have any clue what "handling issues" the Mclaren has relative to other cars in 2022 of which neither Carlos nor Lando Norris have driven. The 2022 car may have no front end, but there are 5 other teams that Mclaren beat on merit. Whatever lack of front end the Mclaren had, 5 other cars had even less downforce. The Mclaren was the 5th fastest car of 2022.

Once again, I should mention that the Mclaren is a poor car. It's miles away from the leaders. So I've not whitewashed anything. It's a mediocre attempt at the 2022 regulations.
Do you have problems with Lando speaking in plain english? #-o
“But we know all of this. We’ve known it, it’s just been something we’ve had for years sadly and it’s our job to get rid of that for next season.”
Seriously, read the dam interview!!!

https://apple.news/AYP5PEFjOQB-kqQ5k5rVsuw
Last edited by djos on 01 Dec 2022, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

AR3-GP

djos wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 01:13
AR3-GP wrote:
djos wrote:

Once again, I should mention that the Mclaren is a poor car. It's miles away from the leaders. So I've not whitewashed anything. It's a mediocre attempt at the 2022 regulations.
“But we know all of this. We’ve known it, it’s just been something we’ve had for years sadly and it’s our job to get rid of that for next season.”
What's your point? That the Mclaren is the worst car in the paddock? It isn't. It's the 5th best car in the paddock. So no matter how poor Lando feels the front end is, there are 5 other teams who would kill to have that Mclaren and all the prize money it mopped up this season and the win Ricciardo took last season.

I'm not sure why the focus on Lando's comments. It doesn't change anything. The Mclaren was mediocre, I've said that several times, yet in spite of that, it was the 5th best car. No whitewashing, this is Mclaren's finishing position in the 2022 F1 WCC.

MrGapes

djos wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
djos wrote:

You sound like a broken record, nothing you say here will convince anyone on this thread otherwise, Daniel failed to adapt, and let’s be honest, to a certain extent… failed the team. It is what it is.. move on.

djos

MrGapes wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 01:27
djos wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

You sound like a broken record, nothing you say here will convince anyone on this thread otherwise, Daniel failed to adapt, and let’s be honest, to a certain extent… failed the team. It is what it is.. move on.
You guy's are the broken records, I didnt bring up Daniel's failures - Im talking specifically about an interview Lando gave 3 DAYS AGO!!!

You guy's need to learn to A/ read and B/ not be so defensive of McLaren!!!
"In downforce we trust"

AR3-GP

djos wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 01:34

From the post you quoted:
AR3-GP wrote:

Once again, I should mention that the Mclaren is a poor car. It's miles away from the leaders. So I've not whitewashed anything. It's a mediocre attempt at the 2022 regulations however, that is not so important for Piastri in his rookie season. It's not his fault that the car is mediocre and I and no one else is blaming him for it. He can only control what is in his power which is beating his teammate and moving to a team that can give him a car to win a title, if Mclaren won't do that.

djos

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 02:31
djos wrote:

AR3-GP wrote:

And allow me to remind you of what you said:
AR3-GP wrote:
Carlos was referring to a previous generation of Mclaren.
and clearly Lando say's it's a long standing issue - which was my point all along. The rest of you started banging on about Daniel not being able to adapt. That's ancient history, I'm talking about the future!
I want to see both Lando and Oscar competing for wins, and it's clear from Lando's comments 3 days ago, that McLaren need to solve a long-standing issue with the front ends of their cars. I couldn't care less about Alpine and the other midfield cars, McLaren need to fix this issue if they want to compete for wins.
"In downforce we trust"

AR3-GP

djos wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 02:55
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 02:31
djos wrote:

And allow me to remind you of what you said:
AR3-GP wrote:
Carlos was referring to a previous generation of Mclaren.
and clearly Lando say's it's a long standing issue - which was my point all along. The rest of you started banging on about Daniel not being able to adapt. That's ancient history, I'm talking about the future!
“But we know all of this. We’ve known it, it’s just been something we’ve had for years sadly and it’s our job to
I think you misunderstood what I meant. Carlos drove the Renault and the Ferrari, in addition to the Mclaren in the previous regulations cycle. So he can say that in the old regulations cycle, the Mclaren in specific was the worst of all them.

However, under the new regulations cycle, all cars were reported to be understeering. This was even reported by Verstappen in the beginning of the season, which allowed Perez to be closer to him. As we no longer have a driver who has driven multiple cars including the Mclaren under the 2022 regulations, then no one can say the Mclaren has the worst front end on the grid. Lando can tell us the Mclaren had no front end, but his car is the 5th fastest car out of 10 cars. There's plenty for him to be sad about, the car is mediocre....but it was still better than 5 other cars at most points of the season.

How come the Aston, the Alfa, the Haas, the Williams, and the AT, are so much better than the Mclaren, yet they never looked anywhere close to Lando? Do you think it's all Lando and the Mclaren was worse than all of them? :wtf:

djos

Lando is talented AF, that much is clear.

If previous Macca's had this front end deficiency, and the new Pirelli front tires made this worse, then logically the issue if not fully addressed, then the problem would compound. IMO, Lando's comments support my speculation, as the MCL36 was overall worse than the MCL35M (compared to the competition).
"In downforce we trust"

AR3-GP

djos wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 04:23
Lando is talented AF, that much is clear.

If previous Macca's had this front end deficiency, and the new Pirelli front tires made this worse, then logically the issue if not fully addressed, then the problem would compound. IMO, Lando's comments support my speculation, as the MCL36 was overall worse than the MCL35M (compared to the competition).
Okay. We know the car is bang average to mediocre, and we know sort of why (Lando says it has no front end), but none of this is really what I was trying to have a discussion about.

As I said previously, I only said that Piastri should aim to match or beat Lando by the 2nd year, but should try like mad to be on point from the get-go. This will give his career the most options if you ask me. None of this depends on how fast or slow the Mclaren is because he can't control that. If someone is out there doing something better than you with no front end, then there's something to do better. I suspect Piastri will be much closer to Norris than previous teammates (or at least I hope so....).