2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

trinidefender wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 02:37
The car in the shadow is an outline of an old McLaren if that counts for anything.
it's the Ferrari F14T. original photo without the silhouette effect:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Well Gulf moving to Ferrari doesn't make any sense at all.

ScottR267
ScottR267

Looks like Gulf will be going to Williams

https://racingnews365.com/williams-proc ... f1-sponsor

CjC
CjC

ScottR267 wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 15:05

Frustrating if it’s true.

Hopefully Zak has something up his sleeve
Just a fan's point of view

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

CjC wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 15:07
ScottR267 wrote:

I wouldn’t call it frustrating, to be honest. They had minimal placement on the car, which could signify the value of the deal. It’s clearly not about them looking for a better performing team. I’d say they’re keen on staying in F1 for the exposure and likely Williams is willing to do business for less, just my opinion though.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ScottR267
ScottR267

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 15:12
CjC wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:

I wouldn’t call it frustrating, to be honest. They had minimal placement on the car, which could signify the value of the deal. It’s clearly not about them looking for a better performing team. I’d say they’re keen on staying in F1 for the exposure and likely Williams is willing to do business for less, just my opinion though.
Agree with Ground effect….wouldn’t call it frustrating! I think us as fans got carried away with the Monaco livery and hyped up the Gulf deal a lot more than what it was.

It’s not like when ExxonMobil moved to Red Bull when we lost a technical partner too

CjC
CjC

Ground Effect wrote:
CjC wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:

Yea I suppose my frustration is that a deal couldn’t be agreed to continue. You are right if there is a big Gulf logo on the Williams for a similar amount of money for the Mclaren deal then I agree with you.
But what if we hear that its now Gulf Williams Racing? And they are now their title sponsor with millions of dollars exchanged?

diffuser

CjC wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 15:22
Ground Effect wrote:
CjC wrote:

Yea I suppose my frustration is that a deal couldn’t be agreed to continue. You are right if there is a big Gulf logo on the Williams for a similar amount of money for the Mclaren deal then I agree with you.
But what if we hear that its now Gulf Williams Racing? And they are now their title sponsor with millions of dollars exchanged?
Not speaking to you directly but I don't know why this is an issue at all. With the CAP, McLaren can't spend all thier earnings anyways. With the way things are today, I'm sure there are enough people throwing money at all F1 teams. Obviously Gulf didn't want to pay what McLaren were asking and got something more to their liking at Williams. Cool.

CjC
CjC

diffuser wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 15:29
CjC wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Not speaking to you directly but I don't know why this is an issue at all. With the CAP, McLaren can't spend all thier earnings anyways. With the way things are today, I'm sure there are enough people throwing money at all F1 teams. Obviously Gulf didn't want to pay what McLaren were asking and got something more to their liking at Williams. Cool.
That’s a valid point about the cap. I guess teams only need a certain amount of sponsorship to hit the cap and if Mclaren are there with or without Gulf then it doesn’t matter.
It’s clear to see this cost cap has put the teams in a very strong position

Swed3121
Swed3121

CjC wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 15:32
diffuser wrote:
CjC wrote:

That’s a valid point about the cap. I guess teams only need a certain amount of sponsorship to hit the cap and if Mclaren are there with or without Gulf then it doesn’t matter.
It’s also worth remembering that title sponsorship at Williams probably costs about the same as a minor sponsor at McLaren.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Swed3121 wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 19:54
CjC wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 15:32
diffuser wrote:

It’s also worth remembering that title sponsorship at Williams probably costs about the same as a minor sponsor at McLaren.
Are you sure about that? Neither team has been anywhere close to a championship for years.

ME4ME

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 15:16
Swed3121 wrote:
Are you sure about that? Neither team has been anywhere close to a championship for years.
I think its a fair assumption of Swed to make. Are you sure about the contrary?

Mclaren was a respectful 4th in the WCC in 2021. They are consistently fighting in the mid-field. They had the only non Ferrari, Mercedes, RBR podium in 2022. Their drivers are actually racing others, overtaking, getting overtaken. They probably get several times the TV-time that Williams gets.

diffuser

ME4ME wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 15:41
AR3-GP wrote:
Swed3121 wrote:

Mclaren was a respectful 4th in the WCC in 2021. They are consistently fighting in the mid-field. They had the only non Ferrari, Mercedes, RBR podium in 2022. Their drivers are actually racing others, overtaking, getting overtaken. They probably get several times the TV-time that Williams gets.
Agreed, where you finish in the WCC impacts car TV time and therefore impacts revenue from advertising on the car.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 16:50
ME4ME wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 15:41
AR3-GP wrote:

Agreed, where you finish in the WCC impacts car TV time and therefore impacts revenue from advertising on the car.
I wouldn't say that. I would say that leading a race, being on podium, a pitstop, or overtaking another car, impacts car TV time more than WCC position.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Mclaren has had so much TV and air time with Norris, Ricciardo and them being the best of the rest most of the time - plus the odd cheeky podium, win, etc, they probably can charge the most out of the top 3 easily for sponsorship space.
Williams have been nowhere for years and at this point they're barely a footnote in coverage unless they're getting lapped.
So yes, it wouldn't surprise me if Mclaren are charging twice what Williams are for the same sponsorship deal