2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 17:41
diffuser wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 16:50
ME4ME wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 15:41

I think its a fair assumption of Swed to make. Are you sure about the contrary?

Mclaren was a respectful 4th in the WCC in 2021. They are consistently fighting in the mid-field. They had the only non Ferrari, Mercedes, RBR podium in 2022. Their drivers are actually racing others, overtaking, getting overtaken. They probably get several times the TV-time that Williams gets.
Agreed, where you finish in the WCC impacts car TV time and therefore impacts revenue from advertising on the car.
I wouldn't say that. I would say that leading a race, being on podium, a pitstop, or overtaking another car, impacts car TV time more than WCC position.
I think over 30% of overtakes outside the top 10 go unseen. I would also say that 10% of pit stops outside that top 10 go unwitnessed. You would only notice if follow closely on f1 live.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 17:41
diffuser wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 16:50
ME4ME wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 15:41

I think its a fair assumption of Swed to make. Are you sure about the contrary?

Mclaren was a respectful 4th in the WCC in 2021. They are consistently fighting in the mid-field. They had the only non Ferrari, Mercedes, RBR podium in 2022. Their drivers are actually racing others, overtaking, getting overtaken. They probably get several times the TV-time that Williams gets.
Agreed, where you finish in the WCC impacts car TV time and therefore impacts revenue from advertising on the car.
I wouldn't say that. I would say that leading a race, being on podium, a pitstop, or overtaking another car, impacts car TV time more than WCC position.
Do you know how many battles Carlos had in 2019 that didn't get broadcast? Some great drives like his Austrian GP recovery wasn't shown till after the race. It even became a source of concern for McLaren who wanted to take it up formally with F1.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

the EDGE
the EDGE

McLaren

"[We won't be challenging in 2023], but starting in '24, I want to be knocking on the door [of podiums, wins and championships]," Brown told RacingNews365.com in an exclusive interview.

"Because of our technology infrastructure, we won't will have the full benefit in 2024 as the wind tunnel comes online in the middle of this year which means our '24 car will start development in some of our older technology and the transfer over to the new.

"So really it is 2025 [when we will be able to fight], and we've got everything we need.

https://racingnews365.com/brown-no-excu ... nvestments

MrGapes

the EDGE wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 14:43
McLaren

"[We won't be challenging in 2023], but starting in '24, I want to be knocking on the door [of podiums, wins and championships]," Brown told RacingNews365.com in an exclusive interview.

"Because of our technology infrastructure, we won't will have the full benefit in 2024 as the wind tunnel comes online in the middle of this year which means our '24 car will start development in some of our older technology and the transfer over to the new.

"So really it is 2025 [when we will be able to fight], and we've got everything we need.

Even from 2024 for wins, podiums etc. is quite ambitious in my opinion, the team have essentially a few months to really understand the new technology they have in hand... the top teams have had years to fully understand and maximize whatever equipment at their disposal. I wonder how they approach this year's development with the new wind tunnel coming online mid season, will they switch to 2024 earlier, will they even produce a late update package for the MCL37 with the new tunnel... exciting season!

onewingedangel
onewingedangel

The latest video (short?) On YouTube ends with Google noted as Primary Partner. This is the place OKX takes on the McLaren App at present - another crypto partner going by the wayside?

Does it indicate increased involvement from Google beyond Chrome and Android logos?

There's something scheduled for tomorrow at 5 on YouTube, so may be an announcement of updated sponsorship deal.

McL-H
McL-H

MrGapes wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 15:06
the EDGE wrote:
McLaren

Even from 2024 for wins, podiums etc. is quite ambitious in my opinion, the team have essentially a few months to really understand the new technology they have in hand... the top teams have had years to fully understand and maximize whatever equipment at their disposal. I wonder how they approach this year's development with the new wind tunnel coming online mid season, will they switch to 2024 earlier, will they even produce a late update package for the MCL37 with the new tunnel... exciting season!
Brown is talking about infrastructure, but perhaps he should also try and attract more top personnel, and with personnel I don’t mean a whole pack of drivers. Infrastructure alone won’t cut it.

MrGapes

McL-H wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 23:31
MrGapes wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 15:06
the EDGE wrote:
McLaren

Brown is talking about infrastructure, but perhaps he should also try and attract more top personnel, and with personnel I don’t mean a whole pack of drivers. Infrastructure alone won’t cut it.
We haven’t even given our current personnel a chance with the new infrastructure… just because the team doesn’t have big names flying around in the media doesn’t mean their not top quality.

mwillems

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/173613/p ... style.html

Piastri talking about the Mclaren characteristics with a mild comparison to the Renault. No details though.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mwillems wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 09:09

Piastri talking about the Mclaren characteristics with a mild comparison to the Renault. No details though.
I think it's the wrong approach to have all the talking heads in his ear telling him the car is "different" because it teaches him to blame the car.

You have to get in and get on with whatever you are given. It sounds like Piastri isn't letting what I feel is overblown messaging, get to him.

Big Tea

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 19:04
mwillems wrote:

I think it's the wrong approach to have all the talking heads in his ear telling him the car is "different" because it teaches him to blame the car.

You have to get in and get on with whatever you are given. It sounds like Piastri isn't letting what I feel is overblown messaging, get to him.
I agree. To be 'different' he has to be used to something and he is a fresh F1 entry.
He may have tried other cars but they have not been 'his car' that he has had to get used to
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

daren_p
daren_p

AR3-GP wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Maybe I've missed it but where in that article did it say everyone is telling him the car is "different"? From what I read, it appears he's looking at things the way he should. The car drives different but he's not sure if that is MCL specific or 22 car specific. Car isn't necessarily natural for him to drive but no car typically is & its his job to adapt. Sounds like the right approach to me.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

daren_p wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 20:51
AR3-GP wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Maybe I've missed it but where in that article did it say everyone is telling him the car is "different"? From what I read, it appears he's looking at things the way he should. The car drives different but he's not sure if that is MCL specific or 22 car specific. Car isn't necessarily natural for him to drive but no car typically is & its his job to adapt. Sounds like the right approach to me.
Might have been a small misunderstanding. I didn't mean to imply it's the article (but in some ways it is, because he was "asked" and you don't recall any other rookie driver being asked if he is worried if the car is "different" to drive :roll: ).

All of the noise surrounding Ricciardo's performance revolves around making a big deal about how the car was "so different" or "unusual". Media was even pressing Norris and Sainz (who hadn't even driven a MClaren for years) on it.

That's what I meant by talking heads. There is very much an aura built up around the Mclaren being "unusual" which I feel is mostly nonsense. Carlos crashed his Ferrari more than the Mclaren.

It's important for Oscar (as he says he will in the article), to just adapt, and get on with it, rather than have an "excuse" handed to him on a silver platter by the media, and likely Ricciardo, that he starts repeating should he not meet his own expectations.

mwillems

AR3-GP wrote:
mwillems wrote:

It doesn't mention anyone else. He's just saying that the car is different to the Renault and requires him to adapt a bit, and says that it's not suiting a more natural, or neutral, driving style.

The only thing this confirms is that the car is a bit different compared to the Renault, everything else we know.

Glad to hear he isn't concerned about it either.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mwillems wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 21:55
AR3-GP wrote:
mwillems wrote:

It doesn't mention anyone else. He's just saying that the car is different to the Renault and requires him to adapt a bit, and says that it's not suiting a more natural, or neutral, driving style.

The only thing this confirms is that the car is a but different compared to the Renault.
Well the Renault was a last generation car, and a poor one at that. One would hope it behaves differently to that car...

mwillems

Piastri had enjoyed solid running at the wheel of a 2021-spec Alpine prior to his departure from the Enstone operation, and even had seat time in the 2022 car.

That afforded him a fresh perspective on the McLaren’s nuances which flummoxed Daniel Ricciardo throughout last season – despite the latter’s career also seeing him join the Woking squad via Enstone.

“It’s difficult to say if it’s a McLaren characteristic or a 2022 characteristic,” Piastri said.

“I don’t want to put it into the ‘it’s a McLaren characteristic’ basket.

“I think there are maybe a few small things that are a bit different.”