2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GrizzleBoy

Re: Mercedes W13

F1Krof wrote:
20 May 2022, 14:46
Pace wise, so far ~7 tenths behind. Not encouraging. The car seems lazy at the front.
Could be a good thing then as the car seemed very unstable at the rear during testing.

Upgrades could have caused a balance shift with a rear aero that actually works (fingers crossed) and they may need to set up differently.

ringo

I have not seen FP1, but could be they are are just checking for correlation now before they setup the car for pace.
For Sure!!

Tvetovnato

GrizzleBoy wrote:
20 May 2022, 14:52
F1Krof wrote:
Pace wise, so far ~7 tenths behind. Not encouraging. The car seems lazy at the front.
Could be a good thing then as the car seemed very unstable at the rear during testing.

Upgrades could have caused a balance shift with a rear aero that actually works (fingers crossed) and they may need to set up differently.
Hamilton’s DRS was not working either, plus traffic, so it’s a lot closer

Spacepace

On Hamilton's hot lap on soft while his DRS was working Alonso ran Hamilton wide onto partial gravel on the exit of 11

mkay

F1Krof wrote:
Race sims were very encouraging, to be honest. Russell was within 2-4 tenths of Ferrari and RB for most of the mini-stint on worn softs.

pocketmoon

Session Data is up at https://www.f1-tempo.com/

AA_2019

Toto Wolff post-FP1 cautiously optimistic: “We were able to significantly reduce bouncing. It's a step in the right direction.”

Watching FP2, the W13 is running super low without bouncing.

Looks like we could be close to being back in business :)
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

KeiKo403

AA_2019 wrote:
20 May 2022, 17:40
Toto Wolff post-FP1 cautiously optimistic: “We were able to significantly reduce bouncing. It's a step in the right direction.”

Watching FP2, the W13 is running super low without bouncing.

Looks like we could be close to being back in business :)
Music to my ears…hopefully stays this way tomorrow and Sunday too and all the zero pod haters can eat some humble pie after saying they need to abandon this concept and return to conventional side pods.

ltitus8900

Good news boys. Rus 2nd and Hamilton 3rd. Split the Ferr. This is with heavy and low fuel runs. We are looking good thus far. =D>

amarques

Do you think this could be like Miami?
Good Friday but not so good Qualifying?
Or now we really look better?

GrizzleBoy

amarques wrote:
20 May 2022, 18:12
Rises are red
Violets are blue
Mercedes look fast
Ferrari 1-2

Is the most likely outcome imo, but there are clear improvements that have been made in both visual drivability, porpoising, ride height and of course lap times.

matteosc

amarques wrote:
I think they were actually able to understand and reduce the porpoising. In Miami there was little porpoising because of the low downforce, here the downforce is way higher, but no porpoising. I would assume that they are using a little more power than the other engines, so they may be not that close tomorrow, but I do not think they will fall off as much as they did in Miami.

VacuousFlamboyant

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Big relief in the team. Hamilton, Russel and Toto couldn't hide their smile. Hamilton said after FP2 that they could potencially deliver even better results once they get the grips with the balance of the car with the upgrades, setup-wise. I will root for Ham this weekend to continue his Barcelona streak. Records are meant to be broken!

InsaneX_Badger

matteosc wrote:
20 May 2022, 18:35
amarques wrote:
I think they were actually able to understand and reduce the porpoising. In Miami there was little porpoising because of the low downforce, here the downforce is way higher, but no porpoising. I would assume that they are using a little more power than the other engines, so they may be not that close tomorrow, but I do not think they will fall off as much as they did in Miami.
I will be excited if in FP3 they continue this form. With the season still 15 races it's still on for one of the Merc drivers

GrizzleBoy

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

VacuousFlamboyant wrote:
20 May 2022, 18:41
Big relief in the team. Hamilton, Russel and Toto couldn't hide their smile. Hamilton said after FP2 that they could potencially deliver even better results once they get the grips with the balance of the car with the upgrades, setup-wise. I will root for Ham this weekend to continue his Barcelona streak. Records are meant to be broken!
Hmmm, I'm sure I heard someone mention something like that in response to someone saying the car seemed lazy at the front after FP1.

Oh wait! It was me!
GrizzleBoy wrote:
20 May 2022, 14:52
F1Krof wrote:

I should apply for a new job as a professional analyst.

Just ignore all the stuff I said pre testing where I proclaimed the Ferrari to be overly draggy and the Mercedes vice versa.

Did I hear Russel saying that they are still porpoisijg in corners though in the sky ppost FP2 interview?

Looking at footage of the fast laps I didn't really notice any.