2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisc90

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

siskue2005 wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 00:29

Please post the video where he says that they raised the car a bit. Thanks
Your lucky day… I had a google.

Skip to 4mins 45.

Eurgh, what’s chances of that! Blocked between finding it and sharing it. 2minutes

chrisc90

Apologies it’s not the full thing, but it’s the section I was referring to in my comments

PlatinumZealot

The car is raised and they will learn to set-up with the raised height from now onward. Translation: we have a stonking hupgrade coming for Silverstone!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

siskue2005

chrisc90 wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 00:43

Apologies it’s not the full thing, but it’s the section I was referring to in my comments
thanks, that's interesting

chrisc90

I reckon in a couple races time you will see a merc with a slight bit of rake to it. I said it weeks/months ago that it could well work when the downforce is pulling it to the floor from a higher rear position.

It will/should give them a bit more suspension travel too which will probably help in the slower speed corners aswell. It’ll be a balancing act of how much rake, together with the drop gives the best performance

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:

I suspect Mercedes have finally put their stubborness aside, and had their light bulb moment with respect to ride height. They say insanity is doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting a different outcome.

zibby43
zibby43

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 02:27
chrisc90 wrote:

I suspect Mercedes have finally put their stubborness aside, and had their light bulb moment with respect to ride height. They say insanity is doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting a different outcome.
I don’t think it’s stubbornness.

I think it’s their wind tunnel/CFD falling behind the other top teams.

Toto alluded to this in the interview referenced above. Their sim tools are telling them that running the car low is the only way to get performance out of it.

When, clearly, there are real-world results that suggest you can certainly raise the ride height without becoming a backmarker.

There have been subtle hints all season that Merc’s sim tools are behind the other top teams - and maybe even teams like McLaren and AM. When you couple that with the fact that they get to use less of those tools than anyone else right now, it’s easy to see how it’s taken Merc so long to try to dig out of this hole.

ringo

I dont think it is an issue of tools.
Sounds like an issue of Aerodynamic leader having his/her way of doing things and stuck in their ways. Maybe others were suggesting rake and couldnt get that approach approved.
Rake is a good thing. I was not sure why they have never explored it in detail.
What will happen now though, is that the wing profiles will aslo need to be adjusted to account for the change in the pitch angle of the car.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

chrisc90 wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 01:00
I reckon in a couple races time you will see a merc with a slight bit of rake to it. I said it weeks/months ago that it could well work when the downforce is pulling it to the floor from a higher rear position.

It will/should give them a bit more suspension travel too which will probably help in the slower speed corners aswell. It’ll be a balancing act of how much rake, together with the drop gives the best performance
Their suspension is already at the limits of extension so more rake is not realistic without a fundamental suspension change.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Ryar

chrisc90 wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 23:58

I think they are perfectly safe. Notice there was no comments to televised media from Mercedes this race? Toto said they raised the car a bit, as looked at the Rake of the RB. Did you hear about drivers complaining in the race? Did they struggle to get out the car?
It was a good script with good performances in Baku, but overall it failed to deliver the expected results. In fact, it backfired. So there was no point repeating the same show again. Next up is Silverstone!
Hakuna Matata!

ispano6

So what was the heated exchange between Toto and Binotto? And why all of a sudden Mercedes has two stays on their floor during a weekend when a TD is mentioned regarding this very change? Seems like Mercedes has been working hard off the track to sway the regulations in their favor. Toto's comments seem a bit pitiful too, making things seem like it's the regulations fault for stiff suspensions. Hopefully Braun won't have any of it.

zibby43
zibby43

ispano6 wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 05:44
So what was the heated exchange between Toto and Binotto? And why all of a sudden Mercedes has two stays on their floor during a weekend when a TD is mentioned regarding this very change? Seems like Mercedes has been working hard off the track to sway the regulations in their favor. Toto's comments seem a bit pitiful too, making things seem like it's the regulations fault for stiff suspensions. Hopefully Braun won't have any of it.
The second stay was easy to add, and it didn't do anything anyway, so they removed it.

And of course they're trying to shape the rules in their favor. Just like RBR/Honda/and the king of pitiful comments (Horner) did when they had no viable Q3 mode that could remotely resemble what Merc were deploying back in '20. Or when Horner complained about DAS triggering a spending war. Or FRIC before that.

Or when RBR/Merc collaborated to expose Ferrari's fuel flow meter trick in '19. That's F1.

Lastly, Brawn's gone. So is Symonds.

Watto
Watto

Was good to see Lewis had a good race

As for Toto, no issue really with him trying to sway the regs in their favor, Seen Horner trying to get more in the team budget caps sew RB and Merc do it all last season , when talking to Massi or even just commenting on where your opponent was bending the rules. All teams do it when things don't suit them, would think Ferrari or RB would say the same if it was a big issue for them too.

ispano6

zibby43 wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 06:29
ispano6 wrote:
The second stay was easy to add, and it didn't do anything anyway, so they removed it.

And of course they're trying to shape the rules in their favor. Just like RBR/Honda/and the king of pitiful comments (Horner) did when they had no viable Q3 mode that could remotely resemble what Merc were deploying back in '20. Or when Horner complained about DAS triggering a spending war. Or FRIC before that.

Or when RBR/Merc collaborated to expose Ferrari's fuel flow meter trick in '19. That's F1.

Lastly, Brawn's gone. So is Symonds.
What does that have anything to do with Mercedes' suspension being too stiff? Since Toto can't find fault in his rivals then he lays fault in the regulations on safety grounds? That's real rich. They're providing the shitboxes and the drivers are choosing to get into them. It's not even clear as to what Mercedes are asking the FIA to change, they're just saying "Hey do something." Or are they insisting all teams should be forced to be handicapped by raising the ride by the same amount Mercedes has to in order to prevent their driver's pain in the ass? Or are they aiming to get a currently illegal suspension ready once they convince the FIA to make it legal? Toto and Mercedes should stop pretending to use the concern of other team's drivers as evidence to alter the rules. Still, curious to learn what made Toto lose his cool during the team principal meeting and what drama/tactics he employed.

Aesop
Aesop

zibby43 wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 06:29
ispano6 wrote:
The other version is that Mercedes pushed for this TD, and/or FIA informed Mercedes at forehand of the TD.
Since the other teams announced they would protest it, they removed it.

Isn't a former Mercedes employee now in an advisory role at FIA?

Hence the conspiracytheory.