2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Quantum

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

ispano6 wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 07:34
Toto and Mercedes should stop pretending to use the concern of other team's drivers as evidence to alter the rules. Still, curious to learn what made Toto lose his cool during the team principal meeting and what drama/tactics he employed.
So deny the evidence of your eyes and ears because....you dislike Toto? That's not much of a reason.

I saw every car even the RB have some porpoising. Yes Mercedes exhibit more than most, but that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist for others.
If some team principles want to turn the screw in on Merc, whatever, it's F1 politics. But I would absolutely hate to have my video being replayed in a court as evidence if an accident happens due to the onset of porpoising.
And while I hope and think the chances are slim, they should be zero. Non existent. And that simply is not the case for any team right now.
"Interplay of triads"

Quantum

Aesop wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 09:40

The other version is that Mercedes pushed for this TD, and/or FIA informed Mercedes at forehand of the TD.
Since the other teams announced they would protest it, they removed it.

Isn't a former Mercedes employee now in an advisory role at FIA?

Hence the conspiracytheory.
There's former RB, Renault and Ferrari employees too.
According to AMUS Merc left engineers behind at Brackley for the TD to be given on Thursday, which was then flown overnight and added to the car. A second stay is a simple addition too.

It's not like they added a totally different concept aligned to a rule change. That would've been fishy.
"Interplay of triads"

Spoutnik

Aesop

Quantum wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 09:44
Aesop wrote:

The other version is that Mercedes pushed for this TD, and/or FIA informed Mercedes at forehand of the TD.

According to AMUS Merc left engineers behind at Brackley for the TD to be given on Thursday, which was then flown overnight and added to the car. A second stay is a simple addition too.

It's not like they added a totally different concept aligned to a rule change. That would've been fishy.
And too obvious I guess. Merc wouldn't be that stupid.

Quantum

Aesop wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 10:45
Quantum wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 09:44
Aesop wrote:

And too obvious I guess. Merc wouldn't be that stupid.
I'd say the FIA too, but then they do have form of making stupendous errors.
"Interplay of triads"

Ryar

Quantum wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 09:41
And while I hope and think the chances are slim, they should be zero. Non existent. And that simply is not the case for any team right now.
FYI. Like Franz Tost said, "It's motor racing and not Rolls Royce. If a driver doesn't want to physical stress of it, then let him sit on a couch at home". There will always be dangers and that's why there is a lot of effort in ensuring safety of drivers in an accident. Accident in itself it not a major concern, it's the aftermath that is important and hence, car safety. We are 9 races into the season and there isn't one accident and not even one close to it because of Porpoising. There are other, more dangerous racing series are there in the world where a driver's body roll is a hundred times more than that of an F1 driver. That show is going on. Let's not dramatisize and exaggerate the impact of bouncing on a driver to hide the bad situation of Mercedes car. Everyone knows it and that's why there are no takers for Toto's tears. Mercedes has a bad car and using other teams' manageable problems to ask for regulation changes is stupid. More than anyone else, Toto knows it.
Hakuna Matata!

Quantum

Ryar wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 10:53
Quantum wrote:
FYI. Like Franz Tost said, "It's motor racing and not Rolls Royce. If a driver doesn't want to physical stress of it, then let him sit on a couch at home". There will always be dangers and that's why there is a lot of effort in ensuring safety of drivers in an accident. Accident in itself it not a major concern, it's the aftermath that is important and hence, car safety. We are 9 races into the season and there isn't one accident and not even one close to it because of Porpoising. There are other, more dangerous racing series are there in the world where a driver's body roll is a hundred times more than that of an F1 driver. That show is going on. Let's not dramatisize and exaggerate the impact of bouncing on a driver to hide the bad situation of Mercedes car. Everyone knows it and that's why there are no takers for Toto's tears. Mercedes has a bad car and using other teams' manageable problems to ask for regulation changes is stupid. More than anyone else, Toto knows it.
Again, you view the issue in isolation as to only affecting Mercedes.

Gasly climbed out the car in Baku in pain, maybe Tost should replace him? Drivers these days, cant handle 8G going through their spine for 60 odd laps, dont make em like they used to, eh?

And yes, Mercedes car is not as good as previous years. But suggesting it's a bad car is hyperbole. Top 5 every race this year will never be classed as bad, however much you want to spin it.
It's almost as if you see an endemic issue to F1 and because Mercedes are most affected by it, you ok with it continuing.
"Interplay of triads"

siskue2005

F1 teams set for FIA meeting over porpoising solutions
Formula 1 technical chiefs are set to meet the FIA this week to try to find solutions to the sport’s porpoising controversy before the British Grand Prix, Motorsport.com has learned.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-t ... /10325560/

Ryar

Quantum wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 11:06

Gasly climbed out the car in Baku in pain, maybe Tost should replace him? Drivers these days, cant handle 8G going through their spine for 60 odd laps, dont make em like they used to, eh?

And yes, Mercedes car is not as good as previous years. But suggesting it's a bad car is hyperbole. Top 5 every race this year will never be classed as bad, however much you want to spin it.
It's almost as if you see an endemic issue to F1 and because Mercedes are most affected by it, you ok with it continuing.
It's not like teams don't have a choice to fix the problem. The affected drivers should talk to their management to fix it, instead of asking FIA to bring a regulatory change. The TD seems to have shown them the way and if the driver health is of most concern, then the TD should help in teams adhering to maximum vertical impact. Nobody complained in Canada, which means the problem has moved in safe zone. All good.
Hakuna Matata!

zibby43

ispano6 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 06:29
ispano6 wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 05:44
So what was the heated exchange between Toto and Binotto? And why all of a sudden Mercedes has two stays on their floor during a weekend when a TD is mentioned regarding this very change? Seems like Mercedes has been working hard off the track to sway the regulations in their favor. Toto's comments seem a bit pitiful too, making things seem like it's the regulations fault for stiff suspensions. Hopefully Braun won't have any of it.
The second stay was easy to add, and it didn't do anything anyway, so they removed it.

And of course they're trying to shape the rules in their favor. Just like RBR/Honda/and the king of pitiful comments (Horner) did when they had no viable Q3 mode that could remotely resemble what Merc were deploying back in '20. Or when Horner complained about DAS triggering a spending war. Or FRIC before that.

Or when RBR/Merc collaborated to expose Ferrari's fuel flow meter trick in '19. That's F1.

Lastly, Brawn's gone. So is Symonds.
What does that have anything to do with Mercedes' suspension being too stiff? Since Toto can't find fault in his rivals then he lays fault in the regulations on safety grounds? That's real rich. They're providing the shitboxes and the drivers are choosing to get into them. It's not even clear as to what Mercedes are asking the FIA to change, they're just saying "Hey do something." Or are they insisting all teams should be forced to be handicapped by raising the ride by the same amount Mercedes has to in order to prevent their driver's pain in the ass? Or are they aiming to get a currently illegal suspension ready once they convince the FIA to make it legal? Toto and Mercedes should stop pretending to use the concern of other team's drivers as evidence to alter the rules. Still, curious to learn what made Toto lose his cool during the team principal meeting and what drama/tactics he employed.
All of your questions have been answered by coverage in recent days. Confident you can find said answers.

What’s rich is pretending after Baku that the stiffness of the cars/regs only affect Merc.

Every single driver on the grid privately supported the FIA intervening during the Baku weekend. RIC and OCO were both vocal about it. Perez said his leg was numb after the race there.

What’s richer is TPs preferring to keep their competitive advantage at the expense of the short/long-term health of their drivers.

I have no idea what you’re complaining about, TBH. Whatever happens going forward will probably help RBR the most, so you should be happy lol.

zibby43

Ryar wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 15:30
Quantum wrote:

It's not like teams don't have a choice to fix the problem. The affected drivers should talk to their management to fix it, instead of asking FIA to bring a regulatory change. The TD seems to have shown them the way and if the driver health is of most concern, then the TD should help in teams adhering to maximum vertical impact. Nobody complained in Canada, which means the problem has moved in safe zone. All good.
Bring back ICE quali modes, DAS, and FRIC.

SuperCNJ

It seems there have been a lot of strong opinions from team principals opposing the need to regulate porpoising but surely unless those team principals have driven the car for 60 or so laps in the worst affected cars and experienced the discomfort the drivers have felt up and down the field their view on the matter is subordinate in my opinion. Clearly RB have been opposing this the most but has Horner considered the back pain that Gasly and Tsunoda have experienced in their sister car?

On the other hand, Mercedes have supported the need to regulate porpoising even though they know it is likely to hamper their own performance and is unlikely to affect RB but are doing so to protect the safety of their drivers and the drivers of other teams. For me, the FIA has definitely made the right decision to address porpoising, after all no F1 fan wants to see porpoising, and least of all, to see drivers in pain.

Lewis Hamilton hopes Mercedes will do less experimenting on F1 race weekends

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... e-weekends

At the very least distribute the workload more evenly between the drivers. This wkend was particularly silly in this respect
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Watto

Quantum wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
Toto and Mercedes should stop pretending to use the concern of other team's drivers as evidence to alter the rules. Still, curious to learn what made Toto lose his cool during the team principal meeting and what drama/tactics he employed.
So deny the evidence of your eyes and ears because....you dislike Toto? That's not much of a reason.

I saw every car even the RB have some porpoising. Yes Mercedes exhibit more than most, but that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist for others.
If some team principles want to turn the screw in on Merc, whatever, it's F1 politics. But I would absolutely hate to have my video being replayed in a court as evidence if an accident happens due to the onset of porpoising.
If roles were reversed though and Merc was in RB/Ferarris place no way IMO Toto could complain alas F1 politics, I borderline tune out when I hear Toto or Horner speak because of it; I get they are probably both great for their respective teams but pretty race they either of them speak without a vested interest, perhaps too often IMO when its not realy needed.

Ryar

zibby43 wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 15:42
Ryar wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 15:30
Quantum wrote:

Bring back ICE quali modes, DAS, and FRIC.
I know arguments are good way of information exchange. But nonsense is not. But let's continue the nonsense and bring back V8s, Blown Diffusers, Flexible Floor and Wings. Is that enough or go back further in time to tyre war, V12s, Mass Dampers?
Hakuna Matata!