2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DGP123
DGP123

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Tbh, in the second half of the season, he’s been bent over by Hamilton quite convincingly, and the pressure is starting to tell. No surprise to see him rattled, and starting to be more irate and vocal towards the team, and in the media pen.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

DGP123 wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 09:38
Tbh, in the second half of the season, he’s been bent over by Hamilton quite convincingly, and the pressure is starting to tell. No surprise to see him rattled, and starting to be more irate and vocal towards the team, and in the media pen.
Indeed so. When Lewis was doing the hard yards running weird set ups on the car to help the team figure it out, George was enjoying the apparent upper hand. People were saying "George is killing Lewis, look how rubbish Lewis really is".

Then the team allowed Lewis to run properly and he's been showing everyone that he's still very much got it. Since being released, Lewis has outqualified and outraced George. I think we can say that if it had been a normal season - one where both drivers were running normally from the first race, Lewis would be ahead of George.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Cassius
Cassius

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 10:07
DGP123 wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 09:38
Indeed so. When Lewis was doing the hard yards running weird set ups on the car to help the team figure it out, George was enjoying the apparent upper hand. People were saying "George is killing Lewis, look how rubbish Lewis really is".

Then the team allowed Lewis to run properly and he's been showing everyone that he's still very much got it. Since being released, Lewis has outqualified and outraced George. I think we can say that if it had been a normal season - one where both drivers were running normally from the first race, Lewis would be ahead of George.
Agree. And it also doesn't help his mood that there is talk Lewis will continue for at least 3 more years. He will not be the clear number 1 in the team as long as Lewis is there, which also means his chances for a WDC will be much smaller.

F1NAC

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 02:23
Anyone else notice that George likes to play the blame game? I get the sense that the team are get slightly annoyed by his comments.
boyyyyyyy did we all noticed. Especially during clash with MSC... Guy cannot take any blame. Perez France, MSC in Singapore. It all goes back to incident with Bottas in Imola.

chrisc90

Agree with all the above. George just cannot accept any blame and he needs to think carefully about his comments he’s making, especially when he’s usually at blame for the incidents he’s calling out. Even stuff in free practice like nearly running into the back of people off the racing line, then claiming it’s so dangerous.

mendis
mendis

chrisc90 wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 12:11
Agree with all the above. George just cannot accept any blame and he needs to think carefully about his comments he’s making, especially when he’s usually at blame for the incidents he’s calling out. Even stuff in free practice like nearly running into the back of people off the racing line, then claiming it’s so dangerous.
While he is stupid in the way he is handling things and losing performance, he could be forgiven for his first year in the new team with a car way less than expectations. He should simply focus on what he could learn in the next few races, go back to the drawing board and figure out how he can fix some of his errors from this year and come back next with toned down expectations and do a good job.

Quantum

George is stupid at handling things? How utterly ridiculous.

GPDA director, sitting in 4th place in the standings, racing against one of the greats, multi million contract, has made some great overtakes even up to this weekend, and we have salt being thrown at him by the usual suspects.
"Interplay of triads"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Quantum wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 13:33

GPDA director, sitting in 4th place in the standings, racing against one of the greats, multi million contract, has made some great overtakes even up to this weekend, and we have salt being thrown at him by the usual suspects.
On track he's the real deal - fast and a good overtaker. Not sure anyone thinks / says otherwise, even "the usual suspects".

He does like to express his opinion as if he's a seasoned champion, however, which can be a touch annoying. Best advice to him is to keep his head down, his mouth closed more often than not, and focus on the racing and car development. Giving your new team a mouthful every race because you don't like their calls is not going to endear you to them.

AeroDynamic

chrisc90 wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 12:11
Isn't that normal with a lot of drivers?

George has been right about some things and is just making the usual reaction-grumbles when things don't go his way.
Last edited by Stu on 11 Oct 2022, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic part removed

Quantum

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 14:25
Quantum wrote:

On track he's the real deal - fast and a good overtaker. Not sure anyone thinks / says otherwise, even "the usual suspects".

He does like to express his opinion as if he's a seasoned champion, however, which can be a touch annoying. Best advice to him is to keep his head down, his mouth closed more often than not, and focus on the racing and car development. Giving your new team a mouthful every race because you don't like their calls is not going to endear you to them.
I don't see why he should be isolated from any other driver in having an opinion or telling the team what he thinks.
Leclerc, Sainz, Hamilton, Alonso, Verstappen, Vettel have all gone way over board on the radio this season.
He's also the director of the GPDA so is meant to be a mouthpiece for the drivers.

All I have seen is 2 drivers work together to get the most out the car. There's been zero animosity and don't see why there would be.
"Interplay of triads"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Quantum wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 15:11
Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 14:25
Quantum wrote:

I don't see why he should be isolated from any other driver in having an opinion or telling the team what he thinks.
Leclerc, Sainz, Hamilton, Alonso, Verstappen, Vettel have all gone way over board on the radio this season.
He's also the director of the GPDA so is meant to be a mouthpiece for the drivers.

All I have seen is 2 drivers work together to get the most out the car. There's been zero animosity and don't see why there would be.
The drivers do seem to get on, that's true.

George certainly doesn't have the experience of the likes of Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel or even Verstappen. It's OK to ask about team calls, but the way he has spoken to his engineer this year at times sounded a bit petulant.

I like George, I think he's a future champion if he can pick the right team. But he can be a bit full of his own importance at times, in my opinion. All drivers are, but he comes across like he's already got a bag full of wins and titles.

mstar
mstar

I honestly think George is getting annoyed with 2nd half of the season. Has anyone noticed when he does a overtaking move he feels the need to remind his team and public of his great overtake move? Is he feeling the need to tell all us look "I'm a elite driver look what I just did" and when things not going well he feels the need to say look this is why I'm slow /not doing well.

dans79

mstar wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 18:26
I honestly think George is getting annoyed with 2nd half of the season. Has anyone noticed when he does a overtaking move he feels the need to remind his team and public of his great overtake move? Is he feeling the need to tell all us look "I'm a elite driver look what I just did" and when things not going well he feels the need to say look this is why I'm slow /not doing well.
Thats called insecurity, and not something that's age related!
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

Could George's troubles be labelled ' younger brother syndrome?'
(or anyone who knows 80' music - 'Nigel' from the undertones song)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

zibby43
zibby43

mstar wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 18:26
My last name’s not Freud, so I don’t psychoanalyze other humans. Particularly ones I’ve never met.

One thing I will say is, I like it that we have a driver that shows personality.

I wouldn’t care if George hopped out of the car after his first win and hit us with:

In the words of Sergio, “You like my pace? You like it!”