2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Gillian

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Sad for Verstappen but luckily he did not loose that much point in the end. Curious to know what the actual problem was. He thought he had a puncture but that was not the case in the end?

chrisc90

Gillian wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:57
Sad for Verstappen but luckily he did not loose that much point in the end. Curious to know what the actual problem was. He thought he had a puncture but that was not the case in the end?
Be interesting too. Max felt pretty strongly about it given the way the car was handling. Maybe he didnt need to come in initially given he thought he had a puncture.

Only thing I can see where it happened, is where he took a lot of kerb at Copse which could have disturbed something.

Its one of those we will probably never get to know the bottom of - given it seems a mega sensitive area due to the lack of performance after.

Bad race for Max today, especially given the grid shake up again at the start being demoted back to 2nd (granted its the rules). But damage limitation to Charles in the WDC (6points) which is a bit of a godsend really, given its like finishing 1st and another 2nd.

Over the moon for Checo. Driver of the Day and a lovely drive from the back of the field given first lap damage. kept his elbows out in the final 10 lap sprint to secure 2nd. Lucky with the safety car and his extra stop, but sometimes you do end up with a lucky SC - like George has a couple times

Gillian

Yeah good result for Perez, but imo he's lucky to get no penalty. Granted so was Leclerc lucky for not getting a penalty too but still.

Neuron

Gutted for Max, having him at the front today would be awesome as well as rest 5 guys.

MinMax

Neuron wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:11
Gutted for Max, having him at the front today would be awesome as well as rest 5 guys.
Seeing how he raced against Mick Schumacher at the end it was probably best he wasn’t anywhere near the others towards the end. Maybe some frustration bro g shown. Some really good clean precision driving from everyone else at the end.

MinMax

MinMax wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:20
Neuron wrote:
Seeing how he raced against Mick Schumacher at the end it was probably best he wasn’t anywhere near the others towards the end. Maybe some frustration bro g shown. Some really good clean precision driving from everyone else at the end.

I’d love to know what got damaged in the floor to cause so much loss of downforce.

Gillian

MinMax wrote:
Neuron wrote:
Utter nonsense. Like I said in the race thread, I actually bothered to look back at the laps from MSC view and barely anything happened.

And besides that, what are you talking about clean racing!? Leclerc hit Perez! Perez cut the track and pushed Hamilton of the track! And there was a lot more of that going on. The only one that really kept it clean the entire race was Hamilton.

Neuron

MinMax wrote:
Neuron wrote:
I mean Max at the front without damage ;)

ispano6

Max said he went over debris right? Could have been Checo's, which would suck considering it was Leclerc dive bombing into the corner where he forced Checo into Sainz. I think RedBull should have gave Max mediums instead of Hards since he actually started the race on softs. That would have helped during that middle stint. At least Sainz and Checo finished ahead of Leclerc and Ham, so it wasn't as big of a loss. Max had the pace to win most likely so the team I'm sure are going to look to understand how Max picked up damage.

DChemTech

ispano6 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:48
Max said he went over debris right? Could have been Checo's, which would suck considering it was Leclerc dive bombing into the corner where he forced Checo into Sainz. I think RedBull should have gave Max mediums instead of Hards since he actually started the race on softs. That would have helped during that middle stint. At least Sainz and Checo finished ahead of Leclerc and Ham, so it wasn't as big of a loss. Max had the pace to win most likely so the team I'm sure are going to look to understand how Max picked up damage.
Yes, he said he drove over a piece of carbon which damaged the bottom of the car quite badly.

chrisc90

Does anyone have the onboard of him hitting the debris? lap 20/21?

west52keep64

Re: Red Bull RB18

Does anyone here have access to replays of the British GP? I'd love to see some shots of Max's car on the laps before & after he had the issue. Would be good to see if the rake or ride height changed, and also if we can get a shot of the tunnel strakes to see if there was any damage there.

Whatever happened to his car was clearly fundamental to how it performs.

Wouter

A puncture and floor damage, prevented the Oracle Red Bull Racing driver Max from fighting for the win in a chaotic race that saw team mate Perez clinch second ahead of Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton.

“I had good starts but at the restart I was pushed to the inside, which meant I had to lift. Bu the pace was good, and I was able to close the gap to Carlos. He made a mistake, which meant I could take the lead”, said Max after the race, before explaining how his RB18 lost speed.

“There was a piece of carbon in turn five. By the time I saw it, I couldn’t avoid it so I tried to hit it straight on. It ripped the entire left side of the floor. You lose all balance and thus lap time. With these cars, the floor is the most important part so I lost a lot of downforce.”

Nevertheless, the Dutchman fought until the end: “It wasn’t nice, losing almost two seconds per lap, but at least we were able to score some points.”
The Power of Dreams!

Spacepace

west52keep64 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:57
Does anyone here have access to replays of the British GP? I'd love to see some shots of Max's car on the laps before & after he had the issue. Would be good to see if the rake or ride height changed, and also if we can get a shot of the tunnel strakes to see if there was any damage there.

Probably the ice skate

marcel171281

Spacepace wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 20:13
west52keep64 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:57

Probably the ice skate
Verstappen said after the race the floor was cracked on the left front side, incl missing bits.

So the debrid probably hit the tunnel entrance and took off one or more of the strakes.