2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
napoleon1981

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 21:44
napoleon1981 wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 14:17
PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 02:03
That's a massive and very visible chunk of carbon.
If you hold it like that, yes very visible. On a track in a corner not necessarily. He did see it, but too late to change direction.

In a racecar you sometimes commit to a line early, and then there is little you can do to just drive around something. He decided to hit it head on which now with the raised wings didnt work.
That's a bit unfortuante for him. Depends on where he drove over it he could have just lifted. Was a give away race.
Turn 5 in Silverstone, not the easiest place to do that with a Ferrari on your tail.

Wouter

https://the-race.com/formula-1/top-hond ... s-it-mean/

Top Honda personnel attending Austrian GP – but what does it mean?
By Scott Mitchell

Senior Honda personnel will attend this weekend’s Austrian Grand Prix and undoubtedly fuel speculation about its Formula 1 future.
Honda’s CEO Toshihiro Mibe and chairman Seiji Kuraishi, plus HRC president Koji Watanabe and HRC director Yasuaki Asaki (who heads Honda’s F1 R&D department), are all expected to be in Austria as guests of Red Bull.

With the 2026 engine regulations yet to be resolved and a meeting of the F1 Commission taking place on Friday, it may be assumed that Honda will be present for those talks.

However, it appears that this is more of a courtesy visit to show support to Red Bull, which is still a Honda partner – not just via the F1 engine contractual arrangement but through the HRC/Red Bull collaboration that was announced last year.
The Power of Dreams!

Bill

they probably want to remind people that Honda is still a thing ,nobody talk about them despite powering Rbr to many victories. The Honda pu has gone well in the past at these circuit so expect victory under normal circumstances'.

organic

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mark ... /10334155/
When asked why Verstappen and Red Bull are so strong in Austria, Red Bull advisor Marko revealed Honda's "special turbocharger" works especially well at altitude, with Spielberg's hilly Red Bull Ring sitting at over 600 metres above mean sea level.

"It's the engine," Marko told Red Bull-owned Servus TV. "And Honda has a special turbocharger, which has a small but decisive advantage in the altitude, which is 670 meters there, in about the past few years."

gandharva

Merc has weakest turbo in high altitue. Renault is also pretty decent in such conditions. We know this since years.

organic

gandharva wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 13:09
Merc has weakest turbo in high altitue. Renault is also pretty decent in such conditions. We know this since years.
Will be interesting to see how it stacks up to new ferrari architecture

Juzh

gandharva wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 13:09
Renault one is questionable in my opinion. RB sucked for long time in austria and were never really in contention with renault engines. 2018 win definitely doesn't count as 2018 RB14 was just on a completely different level in pretty much every single thing to ferrari and mercedes, except the engine. Their wins in mexico were again purely down to their aero being by far the best (yes, even in 2017 at that stage), they were still losing chunks on straights, but it didn't matter. That track amplifies car characteristics, so if you've got better car handling you will be MUCH better overall.

Just last year in mexico RB lost 0.64s on straights in sector 1 but gained like 1.5s in S2 and 3 (on sunday), making it very obvious how the track is compounding any given car's pros and cons.

Wouter

And the HONDA name is again on the RBR site.

https://www.redbullracing.com/int-en/partners
Honda - Technical Partner

Red Bull Racing believes with Honda it will be able to claim World Championships.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

@Wazari, could you tell me please if this still is true?
Helmut Marko when asked why the Red Bulls are so strong on their home track, said that the secret lies
in the turbocharger of the Honda power unit.

'The turbo is special,' he said. Indeed, it seems that the Japanese power unit element works particularly well at altitude. So the hilly track of the Red Bull Ring, which is more than 600 metres above sea level, would be the perfect theatre to exploit its characteristics.

"For sure the engine is very good, but Honda has made a special turbo, which has a small but decisive advantage at altitude.
We have already seen this in recent years."
The Power of Dreams!

gandharva

silver

Juzh wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 14:28
Just last year in mexico RB lost 0.64s on straights in sector 1 but gained like 1.5s in S2 and 3 (on sunday), making it very obvious how the track is compounding any given car's pros and cons.
Did they not struggle over one lap in Mexico due to induced understeer? It was achilles heels last year, but in race Verstappen just disappeared after a strong start. Mercedes mentioned last year that they have made some changes in PU that helps them on high altitude, which was evident with that one lap pace and their performance in Brazil. It would be interesting to see see how they go in Austria. I think Ferrari has to turn down the engines due to unreliability.

organic

Seems like Perez is having setup problems. The car has become balanced and it has gone away from his style which seems to require understeer. He said as much prior to the weekend.

It is giving me flashbacks to 2021

Wazari

Wouter wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 16:25
Helmut Marko when asked why the Red Bulls are so strong on their home track, said that the secret lies

'The turbo is special,' he said. Indeed, it seems that the Japanese power unit element works particularly well at altitude. So the hilly track of the Red Bull Ring, which is more than 600 metres above sea level, would be the perfect theatre to exploit its characteristics.

"For sure the engine is very good, but Honda has made a special turbo, which has a small but decisive advantage at altitude.
I don't know what you are asking, "still is true?" If Honda has made a special turbo for higher altitudes, the answer is no. I have mentioned before that turbo design is critical. Not only size but the vanes of the turbine are IMO extremely important to drive the compressor and H unit. I campaigned very hard to get the Honda/GE jet engine division involved in the turbine design and that is "special". I do believe Honda has a very well designed turbocharger.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Wouter

Wazari wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 01:53
Wouter wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 16:25

I don't know what you are asking, "still is true?" If Honda has made a special turbo for higher altitudes, the answer is no. I have mentioned before that turbo design is critical. Not only size but the vanes of the turbine are IMO extremely important to drive the compressor and H unit. I campaigned very hard to get the Honda/GE jet engine division involved in the turbine design and that is "special". I do believe Honda has a very well designed turbocharger.
Hi @Wazari,

A few years ago, RBR always had an advantage when they had to ride on higher circuits (like Mexico) and it was said that it was because of the Honda Turbo.
In the meantime, another version of the Honda Turbo has been released and my question was therefore whether this Turbo also (still) has an advantage on higher circuits.
The Power of Dreams!