2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
the EDGE

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Basically… Gasley thought maybe Marko was trying to kill him… then remembered Max was on-board so felt safe 🤣

Worth a quick read…

https://wtf1.com/post/all-four-red-bull ... strian-gp/

chrisc90

atanatizante wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 12:00
ringo wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 23:17
atanatizante wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 16:55
How about W13`s ride height vs RB18`s seeing in this picture from Hungary?

https://postimages.org/
You know what is interesting, how much df is being produced by the plank when the car is not touching the ground.. and what happens ehen the plank is on the ground since the under surface wont have any air flow.
Sorry mods for this post it`s off topic but I`d like to know your opinion guys regarding whether PER was concentrating from France onwards onto the non-flexible plank solution even in the races, now that after Baku`s updates it was clear for him that the team had steered towards VER`s car driver style, hence acknowledged back in his mind that he has no chance this year for the WDC? It`s a feasible solution both for him and mostly for the team, isn`t it, looking at these things strategically for next year's changes point of view ... from my point of view this is the main reason why PER suddenly was looking poor results side in the last 2 or 3 races ...
I quoted the post from the W13 thread as discusses the RB side more than the W13.

I dont think RB have been trying anything 'new' with Perez - at least anything that is remotely visible. Im not even remotely sure what upgrades the team brought that would prefer a certain driver. I think there was rumour of geo changes to the suspension to bring in more oversteer but not sure if that come to fruition.

I doubt the RB will be troubled by the new flexi plank rules given the rake. But we will see come Q2 and Q3 where they are at. I think Ferrari will be the biggest troubled with it, and Both the Merc and Ferrari with the 15mm increase in floor edge next year.

Wouter

AMuS has some news, but it has not been officially confirmed anywhere.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... monocoque/
Crash test for Red Bull diet

The world championship leader builds a new and lighter monocoque
and has to go through the full FIA chassis crash test procedure again.
Crashtest für Red-Bull-Diät

Der WM-Spitzenreiter baut ein neues und leichteres Monocoque
und muss noch einmal durch die komplette Chassis-Crashtest-Prozedur der FIA.

Red Bull baut ein leichteres Monocoque, was nicht nur einen finanziellen Aufwand in der Entwicklung und Produktion darstellt. Das neue Chassis muss auch noch einmal zum FIA-Crashtest und dabei alle relevanten statischen Belastungstests über sich ergehen lassen.

Angeblich hat noch ein weiteres Team ein neues Chassis zum Crashtest angemeldet.
Mercedes ist es nicht: "Das wäre viel zu teuer. Nicht nur wegen des Crashtests. Du musst drei neue Chassis bauen, und die kosten dich zwei Millionen extra", hören wir vom amtierenden Kontrukteursweltmeister.
Michael Schmidt also said:

- RBR are 7kg above the weight limit. That makes the RB18 almost the heaviest car in the field (Mercedes are 8 kg above the limit).

- RBR think they can gain 2 or 3 tenths by reducing weight relative to Ferrari.

- Schmidt thinks the new floor/plank regulation will make all cars heavier.
The Power of Dreams!

KeiKo403

Is there any chance that their current monocoque is designed in such a way that they're able to gain the maximum from the current rules before TD039 comes into effect?

I'm genuinely curious, not trying to insinuate that they must change in-order to comply with the upcoming TD rules but is it a possibility?

Have RedBull played a blinder by extracting everything they can from the gray area and also been able to use this years budget to comply with the updates and be able to carry forward that update into next season without taking a bite from next years budget?

organic

KeiKo403 wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 14:30
Is there any chance that their current monocoque is designed in such a way that they're able to gain the maximum from the current rules before TD039 comes into effect?

I'm genuinely curious, not trying to insinuate that they must change in-order to comply with the upcoming TD rules but is it a possibility?

Have RedBull played a blinder by extracting everything they can from the gray area and also been able to use this years budget to comply with the updates and be able to carry forward that update into next season without taking a bite from next years budget?
Wazari mentioned the post-summer chassis upgrade well before TD 039 was even a possibility. This development strategy has been planned for so long it seems unlikely it could be as a response/pre-empting the floor rules changing mid-season

KeiKo403

organic wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 14:39
KeiKo403 wrote:

Wazari mentioned the post-summer chassis upgrade well before TD 039 was even a possibility. This development strategy has been planned for so long it seems unlikely it could be as a response/pre-empting the floor rules changing mid-season
So could the initial plan for the monocoque upgrade have been to further use (I'm trying not to say exploit as that isn't really what I mean) the grey area.

It's just hypothetical, could a change to the underneath of the monocoque have been planned to extract further performance from the floor/plank area?

Sorry if this line of thinking is coming across as trolling, that isn't my intention. It's genuine curiosity.

organic

KeiKo403 wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 14:57
organic wrote:
KeiKo403 wrote:

So could the initial plan for the monocoque upgrade have been to further use (I'm trying not to say exploit as that isn't really what I mean) the grey area.

It's just hypothetical, could a change to the underneath of the monocoque have been planned to extract further performance from the floor/plank area?

Sorry if this line of thinking is coming across as trolling, that isn't my intention. It's genuine curiosity.
Personally I think that line of thinking is down the wrong route. RB have been struggling with weight all season and the new chassis will be significantly lighter and reported to bring 3-4 tenths simply from weight reduction; that seems enough reason for the change to be made, without making assumptions about the floor without any evidence

Sure, maybe they planned to extract more from the flexible floor with the new monocoque but it doesn't prevent them from gaining tenths from the weight reduction instead

chrisc90

Wouldn’t the floor be seperate to the tub though? Also, the floor doesn’t have to go through any FIA testing. I can’t see it being possible to engineer flex as TD039 addresses into a tub that has to survive certain impact tests.

Is there a average laptime per kg saved?

organic

chrisc90 wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 16:55
Wouldn’t the floor be seperate to the tub though? Also, the floor doesn’t have to go through any FIA testing. I can’t see it being possible to engineer flex as TD039 addresses into a tub that has to survive certain impact tests.

10kg would be worth roughly 3 tenths

Sieper

KeiKo403 wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 14:57
organic wrote:
KeiKo403 wrote:

They failed the original crash test and had to beef up the tub. At that point the floor was not designed to meet TD 039. So a redesign was needed as the crash test failed for the lighter tub not so much for any hypothetical changes to the floor design as there weren’t any at the time the tub failed.

AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 16:55

You are correct. The floor is a separate component to the tub:

I think the chassis upgrade is likely related to weight.

Drift4794

https://www.formulapassion.it/opinioni/ ... 30222.html
Very interesting technical article about Max and the team working together to achieve a very particular driving style that covers the faults of the RB18 . Don't know about its accuracy, but interesting nonetheless. Would love to hear everybody's thoughts.

It's in Italian, so please use DeepL/Google to translate

Sieper

Thank you for sharing this, very interesting!

Alexf1

Mark Hughes also noticed a change in driving style, right up from the first test: https://the-race.com/formula-1/mark-hug ... ing-style/

I think it's because of the relative weak front tyre which let's go easily mid corner.

Andi76

Drift4794 wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 15:58
https://www.formulapassion.it/opinioni/ ... 30222.html
Very interesting technical article about Max and the team working together to achieve a very particular driving style that covers the faults of the RB18 . Don't know about its accuracy, but interesting nonetheless. Would love to hear everybody's thoughts.

It's in Italian, so please use DeepL/Google to translate
Thanks for sharing! Very interesting and it sounds very reasonable.