2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Sergio Perez, who came to Japan with HRTD, held a workshop for karting students from the Honda Racing School.
The students asked several questions in English and Sergio Perez gave advice on how to become one of the world's best drivers.

A rehearsal was held today by Checo on a soaking wet track.

The Power of Dreams!

Gillian
Gillian

Stu wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 14:22
Gillian wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 00:29
west52keep64 wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 22:11

The other driver seem to manage just fine, and it also doesn't explain DR's lack of performance at Renault in his first year with them.

I think sadly the best of DR has been and gone, he seems to have been psychologically crushed by this whole experience. He left RB because he couldn't take being second fiddle to Max, how's he going to feel being "third fiddle"?
Couldn't agree more, there's no point in replacing Perez with Riciardo. Apart from that, there's no point in replacing Perez anyway. He did all that was required of him...
Is he there as a known quantity to measure Liam Lawson by?
Could be, though I am not sure how much of a known quality Riciardo still is after the last few years...

djos

Gillian wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 22:29
Stu wrote:
Gillian wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 00:29

Couldn't agree more, there's no point in replacing Perez with Riciardo. Apart from that, there's no point in replacing Perez anyway. He did all that was required of him...
Could be, though I am not sure how much of a known quality Riciardo still is after the last few years...
Riccardo hasn’t forgotten how to drive, the Macca’s handling qualities where just diametrically opposed to his driving style.

I’d eat my RedBull racing hat if he isn’t faster than Perez and competitive with Max in the same RBR machinery!
"In downforce we trust"

Juzh

djos wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 00:23
Gillian wrote:
Stu wrote:

Riccardo hasn’t forgotten how to drive, the Macca’s handling qualities where just diametrically opposed to his driving style.

I’d eat my RedBull racing hat if he isn’t faster than Perez and competitive with Max in the same RBR machinery!
2022 RB was understeery AF, same as macca, so tough luck for ricci if he cant drive such car. easy food for max

djos

Juzh wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 02:33
djos wrote:
Gillian wrote:

2022 RB was understeery AF, same as macca, so tough luck for ricci if he cant drive such car. easy food for max
From Daniels comments, his biggest issue with the Macca’s was they were not predictable on the limit.
"In downforce we trust"

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Has Daniel started filming already? We should probably try and limit the discussion about him to his current role w/ Red Bull as it's going to become unmanageable otherwise.

djos

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 03:41
Has Daniel started filming already?
Yes, he was even in the end of season video posted here.

"In downforce we trust"

Wazari

djos wrote:

Would you like that steamed or grilled?
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

djos

Wazari wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 07:57
djos wrote:

Would you like that steamed or grilled?
Grilled thanks. 🤣
"In downforce we trust"

caddy
caddy

djos wrote:
Gillian wrote:
Stu wrote:

Faster than Perez? Maybe, competitive with Max? He wasn't when he left and his skills clearly seem to degraded since. At best, he would be a wingman for Max. His best shot would be to replace Yuki in 2024 at AT. Perez has a contract for 2024 and unless he drives worse that 2021, he isn't moving to AT. Danny should hope the next year's Pirelli fronts provide sharp bite as promised, that would then make Perez look worse than this year.

djos

caddy wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 08:43
djos wrote:
Gillian wrote:

Faster than Perez? Maybe, competitive with Max? He wasn't when he left and his skills clearly seem to degraded since. At best, he would be a wingman for Max.
What rubbish, he was always competitive with Max, the last 6 months of his time was full of Renault PU failures. He had 8 DNF’s in the season to Max’s 3.

Despite this, Daniel had 2 poles to Max 0 and they had same number of wins at 2 each.
"In downforce we trust"

caddy
caddy

djos wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 08:50
caddy wrote:
djos wrote:

Faster than Perez? Maybe, competitive with Max? He wasn't when he left and his skills clearly seem to degraded since. At best, he would be a wingman for Max.
What rubbish, he was always competitive with Max, the last 6 months of his time was full of Renault PU failures. He had 8 DNF’s in the season to Max’s 3.

Despite this, Daniel had 2 poles to Max 0 and they had same number of wins at 2 each.
Most of Danny's failures were when he was behind Max. A driver that can't handle difficult cars is considered inferior. Difficult cars is just an excuse when the team mate has managed far better results.

djos

caddy wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 08:51
djos wrote:
caddy wrote:

Most of Danny's failures were when he was behind Max. A driver that can't handle difficult cars is considered inferior. Difficult cars is just an excuse when the team mate has managed far better results.
Regardless, he was much more competitive with Max over each season than any other driver ever has been.

I’m not saying Daniel is faster than Max, I’m saying he’s more competitive than every other RBR team mate Max has had.

Max is an incredible driver and I enjoy watching him race, personally I think if he and Lewis were in the same car, Max would destroy Lewis over a season.
"In downforce we trust"

Gillian
Gillian

djos wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 10:41
caddy wrote:
djos wrote:

Regardless, he was much more competitive with Max over each season than any other driver ever has been.

I’m not saying Daniel is faster than Max, I’m saying he’s more competitive than every other RBR team mate Max has had.

Max is an incredible driver and I enjoy watching him race, personally I think if he and Lewis were in the same car, Max would destroy Lewis over a season.
Over a race distance Riciardo was no match for Verstappen and that's when Verstappen was only just getting started in a formula car where Riciardo was performing at his best....

At best Riciardo can match his old level of driving if the current car suits his driving style. But more realistically he is beyond his prime and won't be able to be that fast again with the possibility of the current RB not suiting his driving style either...

And all that doesn't even take into account how much Verstappen has improved as a driver.

There's no chance Riciardo will keep up with Verstappen. It's even highly unlikely Riciardo will be faster than Perez.

caddy
caddy

djos wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 10:41
caddy wrote:
djos wrote:

That I absolutely agree. Max himself was all praises for Danny in the past. As it stands today, he may or may not perform like in the past. He isn't getting younger either and Max is peaking and would peak for another 5 years. It's hard to imagine Danny would give competition to Max. Both RB16B and RB18 have had balance issues and Perez has struggled while Max has driven them to Championships. Danny having struggled so hard at McLaren for 2 long years, doesn't inspire confidence that if RB cars come again with similar challenges, Danny can cope with it.

When looking for performance, engineers don't really give a hoot about a driver's sensitiveness and would care about designing a car that is faster in wind tunnel and CFD. It's on driver to get used to the machine. Experts observed at the beginning of the year that Max was driving very differently this year to get used to car's performance window which had a lot of understeer, but still ahead of Perez. When the car got a better front bite midseason, he dumped Perez behind to go on a dominant streak. A driver has to get best out of a car even when it's not to his liking and Danny doesn't have a great record unfortunately.