2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Schippke

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

rafeyahmad wrote:
23 May 2022, 20:35
Love me some revisionism. The F1-75 has only been "dominant" at Australia. It was better in Bahrain and equal in Jeddah. It has been 2 tenths behind since Imola and clearly had tyre deg problems. It looked the better package in Barcelona but we'll never know with certainty.
I'd argue it was a similar position to where it was in Bahrain, if not similar to Jeddah performance wise. Charles cruised to the win, but Max was basically nursing an issue from the get go of that race and unfortunately, caught-up with them in the end... so more than likely he would've ran a lot closer to Charles in Australia too.

dialtone

Schippke wrote:
24 May 2022, 06:25
rafeyahmad wrote:
23 May 2022, 20:35
Love me some revisionism. The F1-75 has only been "dominant" at Australia. It was better in Bahrain and equal in Jeddah. It has been 2 tenths behind since Imola and clearly had tyre deg problems. It looked the better package in Barcelona but we'll never know with certainty.
I'd argue it was a similar position to where it was in Bahrain, if not similar to Jeddah performance wise. Charles cruised to the win, but Max was basically nursing an issue from the get go of that race and unfortunately, caught-up with them in the end... so more than likely he would've ran a lot closer to Charles in Australia too.
No he wasn't, he was slow because he was graining the tyres due to bad balance which he had since friday FP1 practice. They started practice with low DF package and higher top speed, then figured graining was bad and increased DF but couldn't fully fix graining due to balance of the car. The issue in the race wasn't being nursed until it happened and a couple laps later it was retirement. He had the exact tyre problems that Charles had in Imola and Miami

Chuckjr

I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s opinion of the situation with Sainz. I think many here see it. To me, when Sainz has interviews and talks about the car, he always has this bewildered look on his face. Deer in the headlights kinda deal. Like he has no idea what is going on and is truly wondering why he can’t figure it out. I think it’s real similar for some other drivers in the field. But I don’t think a talking down to, or coaching up, or training is going to help this. I think it’s a feel thing, and these cars fundamentally communicate differently to the driver. Why? I think a lot of it is because the car is being sucked down rather than pushed down, and like the years when they discovered reversing the shock absorber direction on motorcycles offered a better feel, mechanics, and geometry, reversing how the car sticks to the ground from pushing to sucking changes dramatically how it communicates to the driver. These cars are also more clumsy with the bigger tires, and that seems to exacerbate the issue.

I think if Sainz does not get it by around September, they (Ferrari) will want to seek out a seasoned driver who is readily adaptable, likes a sharp front ended car, and does not need the car to be stable to be fast. You know, a Fred type. Because I don’t think this is something teachable. It’s like a person who wants to learn to play drums that has no inner clock, or wants to learn to play guitar, but has no hand to eye coordination. It’s just not gonna work anymore than trying to teach a pig to sing. Same with this. It’s a felt thing not a telt thing.

Sainz is destroying the tires because he is leaning on them because he doesn’t understand the car and so overuses the tires. You will know he is starting to get it when he stops burning the tires up. This is why Leclerc is excelling and will continue to excel. He (Charles) can intuitively feel the way these kinds of cars speak, and so will only get faster and do better as the year progresses. He is miles ahead of Sainz at the moment.

I agree with many here that Ferrari does not have a reliability issue unless they break down again within a race or two. Then that may be something. But one loss after a fairly impeccable record for a while? It’s gotta be expected without complaint. They will be fine. They say in the NFL, one loss is a fluke, two losses is a trend, three loses is a disaster. Similar here.
Watching F1 since 1986.

aran.vtec

Sainz is slowly going down the Ricardo route 1 bad results turns into 2/3/4 then all of a sudden you have a bad season and can never recover,

Spoutnik

aran.vtec wrote:
24 May 2022, 09:10
Sainz is slowly going down the Ricardo route 1 bad results turns into 2/3/4 then all of a sudden you have a bad season and can never recover,
The difference is that Ricciardo struggled a lot to adapt to his new team. Which was not the case for Carlos last year

Swed3120

Spoutnik wrote:
24 May 2022, 10:00
aran.vtec wrote:
The difference is that Ricciardo struggled a lot to adapt to his new team. Which was not the case for Carlos last year
What does strike me as very interesting is how each driver is adapting to the new cars,
It’s clear that the top tier (Leclerc, max , Norris, Hamilton , russel) have all adapted well with Hamilton being a bit more hot and Miss , but further down the field you have some real surprises, ricciardo is still having the same issues as last year , albeit with a car more matched with his style , sainz can’t seem to get ontop of a Ferrari which I would liken to the 2020 Red Bull , very fast , but quite unpredictable on the edge , gasly seems to be struggling with the AT, Yuki has twice as many points, and the continued interest in why Schumacher just can’t seem to get it together over a whole race weekend

Spoutnik

Swed3120 wrote:
24 May 2022, 11:10
Spoutnik wrote:
24 May 2022, 10:00
aran.vtec wrote:
What does strike me as very interesting is how each driver is adapting to the new cars,
It’s clear that the top tier (Leclerc, max , Norris, Hamilton , russel) have all adapted well with Hamilton being a bit more hot and Miss , but further down the field you have some real surprises, ricciardo is still having the same issues as last year , albeit with a car more matched with his style , sainz can’t seem to get ontop of a Ferrari which I would liken to the 2020 Red Bull , very fast , but quite unpredictable on the edge , gasly seems to be struggling with the AT, Yuki has twice as many points, and the continued interest in why Schumacher just can’t seem to get it together over a whole race weekend
I would even mention Bottas, doing very well in the Alfa. Hamilton is always on learning curve to find the setup but when he find it he's too fast (i.e Bottas was faster at the beginning of 2018, we all know how it went out)

I agree with you about the "1.5" driver, it's a shame really I thought Carlos will have a go at the title this year !

Alonsismo

so lando is top and sainz isnt...

then explain me how sainz destroyed 2 years in a row lando in points...

JordanMugen

aran.vtec wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:
24 May 2022, 07:06
I think if Sainz does not get it by around September, they (Ferrari) will want to seek out a seasoned driver who ... likes a sharp front ended car, and does not need the car to be stable to be fast.
That's Ricciardo...

The McLaren understeers too much for Daniel, the Ferrari oversteers too much for Carlos, it would be a logical swap.

Ricciardo may not be adaptable but he was always quite OK in the Red Bull and Renault that have a lot of corner entry oversteer. Ricciardo has a typical leading the car by the nose style similar to Verstappen AFAIK and likely similar to Leclerc too.

bluechris

A swap with Hamilton-Sainz can be possible?

wowgr8

Formu1a uno reporting the MGU-H overheated, probably what happened to Zhou as well. That has to be a bit of a worry at high temperatures and in Mexico. Maybe exacerbated by the fact that it had to do two super hot races back to back? Ferrari say it isn't a reliability issue so how do they solve it?

GrrG

Ferrari Power Unit: in Spain the MGU-H motogenerator overheated

https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-molti-l ... o-e-mgu-h/

chrisc90

How ironic a system designed to cope with lots of heat…. Overheated.

JPower

aran.vtec wrote:
Ricciardo was finishing out of the points frequently and getting lapped by his teammate at points last year and its continued this year.

That’s not what’s happening here. The results have been 2/3/Ret/Ret/3/4.

Let’s quit with the hyperbole.

Chuckjr wrote:
24 May 2022, 07:06

I think if Sainz does not get it by around September, they (Ferrari) will want to seek out a seasoned driver who is readily adaptable, likes a sharp front ended car, and does not need the car to be stable to be fast.
bluechris wrote:
24 May 2022, 13:04
A swap with Hamilton-Sainz can be possible?
You people are out of your minds.

The things I just read on the last page are laughable at best. :lol:

No one is doing midseason driver changes and Ferrari is not looking to get Lewis Hamilton. Just stop.

Mind you, 6 races into last year, Sainz was coming off a Baku race where he crashed in qualifying, locked up and had an off and finished 8th after qualifying 4th. He was pretty far off Leclerc’s pace then too.

jumpingfish

It's interesting that RB engineer told Max to cool the engine on straights since lap 2, Russel and Hamilton also had cooling issues. Does anyone have all radiomessages between Leclerc and pitwall? How could Ferrari miss overheating issue from sensors?