2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bluechris

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

JPower wrote:
24 May 2022, 14:16
No one is doing midseason driver changes and Ferrari is not looking to get Lewis Hamilton. Just stop.

Oh well, i never implied midseason. Also is not what Ferrari wants but what Hamilton missing in his mind and he had said it many times he would like to drive for Ferrari.
I personally don't have a problem with that

JPower

bluechris wrote:
24 May 2022, 22:13
JPower wrote:
24 May 2022, 14:16
No one is doing midseason driver changes and Ferrari is not looking to get Lewis Hamilton. Just stop.

Oh well, i never implied midseason. Also is not what Ferrari wants but what Hamilton missing in his mind and he had said it many times he would like to drive for Ferrari.
I personally don't have a problem with that
Lewis is not leaving Mercedes. I am 99.99999% sure he will retire there.

Shal_Leg16

Chuckjr wrote:
24 May 2022, 07:06
I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s opinion of the situation with Sainz. I think many here see it. To me, when Sainz has interviews and talks about the car, he always has this bewildered look on his face. Deer in the headlights kinda deal. Like he has no idea what is going on and is truly wondering why he can’t figure it out. I think it’s real similar for some other drivers in the field. But I don’t think a talking down to, or coaching up, or training is going to help this. I think it’s a feel thing, and these cars fundamentally communicate differently to the driver. Why? I think a lot of it is because the car is being sucked down rather than pushed down, and like the years when they discovered reversing the shock absorber direction on motorcycles offered a better feel, mechanics, and geometry, reversing how the car sticks to the ground from pushing to sucking changes dramatically how it communicates to the driver. These cars are also more clumsy with the bigger tires, and that seems to exacerbate the issue.

I think if Sainz does not get it by around September, they (Ferrari) will want to seek out a seasoned driver who is readily adaptable, likes a sharp front ended car, and does not need the car to be stable to be fast. You know, a Fred type. Because I don’t think this is something teachable. It’s like a person who wants to learn to play drums that has no inner clock, or wants to learn to play guitar, but has no hand to eye coordination. It’s just not gonna work anymore than trying to teach a pig to sing. Same with this. It’s a felt thing not a telt thing.

Sainz is destroying the tires because he is leaning on them because he doesn’t understand the car and so overuses the tires. You will know he is starting to get it when he stops burning the tires up. This is why Leclerc is excelling and will continue to excel. He (Charles) can intuitively feel the way these kinds of cars speak, and so will only get faster and do better as the year progresses. He is miles ahead of Sainz at the moment.

I agree with many here that Ferrari does not have a reliability issue unless they break down again within a race or two. Then that may be something. But one loss after a fairly impeccable record for a while? It’s gotta be expected without complaint. They will be fine. They say in the NFL, one loss is a fluke, two losses is a trend, three loses is a disaster. Similar here.
imo Sainz is fine.

its the mistakes ( from desperation to match charles ) thats the major reason he is struggling. you look at his bahrain, Abu dhabi, miami performances he is always there just behind Charles and Max. imo thats his sealing. he is doing all good when he does not push too hard which costs him mistakes.

this whole narrative that sainz is struggling to get the feel, he has yet not undersrood the car is majorly created by his post race interviews. he is always moaning regarding the feel, more like a excuse to hide small mistakes he is making.

if adapts into perez mode he will get his consistency back, already has a car to finish on podium every race.

Chuckjr

Shal_Leg16 wrote:
25 May 2022, 05:48
if adapts into perez mode he will get his consistency back, already has a car to finish on podium every race.
You have far more faith in Sainz than he’s earned. He’s leagues from even Perez in this style of F1. I don’t have confidence he’s suddenly going to “get it”. He’s not shown he has that kind of talent and it’s getting worse the harder he tries. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think he’s going to come around. Ferrari sure isn’t going to wait for him very long.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Andres125sx

Amazing short memories...

Sainz beated Lecrerc past season, but now he struggles some races (as he did in first races of past season, what didn´t stop him from beating a talent like Lecrerc) and suddenly he´s not earned any faith #-o

Chuckjr

Andres125sx wrote:
25 May 2022, 07:51
Amazing short memories...

Sainz beated Lecrerc past season, but now he struggles some races (as he did in first races of past season, what didn´t stop him from beating a talent like Lecrerc) and suddenly he´s not earned any faith #-o
No offense to Sainz, but this sport is like any—you’re only as good as your last game. You must perform. Period. I see no reason why F1 is any or should be any different. Honestly, I’d love to see the guy excel and do well. I’ve nothing against him. But he has to step up. Now. He’s in a car that should be winning or contesting for win by BOTH cars. It’s ridiculous they are not leading both championships and Sainz lack of performance is a major contributor to why.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Spoutnik

Monaco was the first week end were he was as fast, if not more, than Charles last season. Maybe it can start his season

tpe
tpe

I will repeat what I have stated a lot of times.
He has to relax. In my eyes, he overdrives the car, he is very nervous at the start, he has no patience and generally, no clear mind.

Spoutnik

Yes he want it too much which was not the case last season with a slower car.
The miss on his first win at Monza 2020 still in his mind, if he had won Im pretty sure he would be more relaxed.

wowgr8

Shal_Leg16 wrote:
imo Sainz is fine.

its the mistakes ( from desperation to match charles ) thats the major reason he is struggling. you look at his bahrain, Abu dhabi, miami performances he is always there just behind Charles and Max. imo thats his sealing. he is doing all good when he does not push too hard which costs him mistakes.

this whole narrative that sainz is struggling to get the feel, he has yet not undersrood the car is majorly created by his post race interviews. he is always moaning regarding the feel, more like a excuse to hide small mistakes he is making.

I generally agree with this but I don't think the mistakes come from desperation (aside from Australia) he is just in a rut and a crisis of confidence. He is MUCH slower than Leclerc in the race, I don't think he's trying extra hard to match him because you can see he isn't close.

His pace doesn't worry me as much as his mistakes and unreliability, he reminds me of Perez last year where he was generally nowhere compared to Max and twice now have his errors left Leclerc exposed to being doubled by Red Bull on the strategy, in Spain and Australia.

It also triggers me how nonchalant he is when he makes his silly errors, he just brushes it off like it's nothing and this reminds me of Vettel in 2018 and 2019, except it's much worse now because he's costing the team a lot of money.

If/when Mercedes make their comeback both Perez and Sainz will be exposed hard when it comes to lack of pace vs their teammates, Russell and Hamilton are like 1A and 1B while Perez and Sainz are clear number 2s.

Seanspeed

Chuckjr wrote:
25 May 2022, 08:16
No offense to Sainz, but this sport is like any—you’re only as good as your last game.
I've always taken that quote as a sort of tongue-in-cheek criticism of how irrational and short-sighted sports fans tend to be when evaluating teams/players. Cuz that's certainly not how it actually works in reality.

Big Tea

Seanspeed wrote:
25 May 2022, 14:36
Chuckjr wrote:
No offense to Sainz, but this sport is like any—you’re only as good as your last game.
I've always taken that quote as a sort of tongue-in-cheek criticism of how irrational and short-sighted sports fans tend to be when evaluating teams/players. Cuz that's certainly not how it actually works in reality.
Probably should be - anyone who I am not a fan of is only as good as your last game/race :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

codetower

Spoutnik wrote:
25 May 2022, 08:27
Monaco was the first week end were he was as fast, if not more, than Charles last season. Maybe it can start his season
Leclerc didn't race in Monaco last year, and he beat Sainz in every qualifying session.

Look, I love Sainz; I think he's VERY good. But the truth is that he is not as fast as Charles. Not this year, and not last year (despite him ending up with more points). Sainz improved a lot the second half of last year, but even with the improvements, he only managed to beat Leclerc in 3 of the last 10 races of the year. And in one of those (Russia) Leclerc started at the back of the grid due to engine penalties.

Sainz is a very talented and very smart driver. Whether it's the pressure of keeping up with Leclerc, the new contract, or him just genuinely being uncomfortable in the new car... I think he'll get there, but I don't think he should get sacked.

Shal_Leg16

wowgr8 wrote:
25 May 2022, 13:32
Shal_Leg16 wrote:
imo Sainz is fine.

I generally agree with this but I don't think the mistakes come from desperation (aside from Australia) he is just in a rut and a crisis of confidence. He is MUCH slower than Leclerc in the race, I don't think he's trying extra hard to match him because you can see he isn't close.

His pace doesn't worry me as much as his mistakes and unreliability, he reminds me of Perez last year where he was generally nowhere compared to Max and twice now have his errors left Leclerc exposed to being doubled by Red Bull on the strategy, in Spain and Australia.

It also triggers me how nonchalant he is when he makes his silly errors, he just brushes it off like it's nothing and this reminds me of Vettel in 2018 and 2019, except it's much worse now because he's costing the team a lot of money.

If/when Mercedes make their comeback both Perez and Sainz will be exposed hard when it comes to lack of pace vs their teammates, Russell and Hamilton are like 1A and 1B while Perez and Sainz are clear number 2s.
its one thing him not being as fast as Leclerc/Max , its another him accepting/realizing it.

and im not saying thats the only thing thats hampering him. there are many, for eg. its his 7th-8th season no pole no win. till now he has had a excuse of not having a good car. Not anymore. He has a winning car and there is hell of a pressure on him to deliver that win. Whenever he tries there a certain teammate thats always there in-between. then there is who is no 1 in team, so definitely there are many things on his mind but matching-beating Leclerc is among them. may be last years extra 5 points actually made him believe he is better, nobody knows.
if he lets go all of this ( obviously easy to say ) but he has to find a way to do it... for me thats his best chance as i fermly do not believe in " he yet to get the feel/car " narrative.

Chuckjr

Seanspeed wrote:
25 May 2022, 14:36
Chuckjr wrote:
Really? Because I dont know if any charity cases in sports whereby teams pay players to drive $hitty, drop passes, throw interceptions, strike out, or keep crashing the car. Usually those sports teams lose, but hey, if you’re into charity cases and compromising the team because you Iike a player, good luck with that. lol. Smh.
Watching F1 since 1986.