2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mzso

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

pipoloko wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 17:02
well at least I am not alone in saying that the Drivers championship is most likely gone and the manufacturer is still at risk
i feel a bit better understood :oops:
and reasons are
-engine reliability
-driver
-team perfomance
I would say 1/3 each
what means no one specifically to point fingers
I would say 3% for the driver... Two spins. One resulted in -7points to Verstappen, the other we don't know for sure because the car was useless enough to not allow reversing. So that was still more the technology than the driver.

aleks_ader

I mean looking at stats. Baku was indeed breaking point. At level RB operates anything else was illusion. Strategy and track operations should get attention this year. From software and hierarchy need revisiting. I would argue maybe Ferrari hoped they will pushed trough. But they hold their heads in sand for to long because they got hope for this year. Matia know that. And he will fix this.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Xyz22

Drivers are Ferrari last issue. Of course in the current environment would be very difficult to perform at the highest level without making any mistakes at Ferrari. Imagine driving, being first with a decent advantage with the constant fear of a wrong strategy that send you out of the podium. This is what happened to Leclerc this season. Not once, but three times. Did you have ever seen something this insane? Remember that this is the team that didn't check Leclerc left side after the crash in Monaco. The only driver in i don't know how many years to have not start a race due to a crash in qualifying.

Also, Leclerc was already in a "win or die" situation being 38 pts behind Max with two more penalties incoming (on top of the strategy mistakes which happened immediately in Hungary once again).

Reliability and especially strategy have been a colossal disaster this season.

pipoloko

mzso wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 23:08
pipoloko wrote:
well at least I am not alone in saying that the Drivers championship is most likely gone and the manufacturer is still at risk
and reasons are
-engine reliability
-driver
-team perfomance
I would say 1/3 each
I would say 3% for the driver... Two spins. One resulted in -7points to Verstappen, the other we don't know for sure because the car was useless enough to not allow reversing. So that was still more the technology than the driver.
to be fair 25 points in France looks more than 3% if ferrari lost 100 points :D
but for sure drivers are not the big issue they are in the top 6 of the grid
in an Spanish interview (i have watched yesterday ) SAI pointed out that the main problem in Hungary was coping with tire temperature and deg despite the strategy that shall be improved.

mzso

pipoloko wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 11:53
mzso wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 23:08
pipoloko wrote:
and reasons are
-engine reliability
-driver
-team perfomance
I would say 1/3 each

to be fair 25 points in France looks more than 3% if ferrari lost 100 points :D

but for sure drivers are not the big issue they are in the top 6 of the grid
in an Spanish interview (i have watched yesterday ) SAI pointed out that the main problem in Hungary was coping with tire temperature and deg despite the strategy that shall be improved.
Only if the driver is accountable for all of it. Which doesn't seem to be the case.

pipoloko

Sorry I read this

'My mistake and unacceptable,' says Leclerc after French GP crash to France 24
Le Castellet (France) (AFP) – Charles Leclerc accepted the blame on Sunday after he crashed while leading the French Grand Prix for Ferrari, gifting another triumph to title rival and series leader Max Verstappen of Red Bull.

that is why i reached a wrong conclusion :oops:

pipoloko

I am asking myself if this is approx true

"Current teams employ between 225 (Haas) and 960 (estimated for Ferrari excluding engine personnel, estimated at a further 440) personnel, with further teams employed in the design and production of the power units".

and if this Thread is About Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team
should we ask an split in one thread that comprises 1398 team members and another thread for
Scuderia Ferarri f1 2022 drivers?
which doesn't say that people can not criticize or praise Team and drivers
it only say that are 2 different important elements of a F1team

falonso81

At this stage it does not make a difference for Ferrari. Both championships are 99% done and dusted. They might aswell take fresh engines every 3 races and run them to the maximum.

Schippke

Coming back to this season as a whole so far, it was a shame seeing both Charles and Carlos make mistakes... or at least more than their fellow rivals around them. Reliability has been a killer too, but with the locking down of the engine regulations moving forward... I'm willing to let that go too, anticipating 2023 to be an improvement on that front too.

However, nobody can deny the strategy for several times this season has caused Ferrari to loose a lot of points too. Maybe not as much as reliability, but enough to warrant them being so far back in the championship. Even with the mistakes of the drivers and the reliability, Ferrari should be a LOT closer to Red Bull and Max... even with taking into consideration the certain reliability penalties that are looming, they still should be in the hunt for the titles.

Realistically speaking, their fight now is with Mercedes... and at the rate they're going, the might end up with more wins in the back end of the season than Ferrari will.

Doesn't matter how you cut the mustard with regards to 'Binotto's expectations being met' and not considering themselves championship contenders... this season is a lost opportunity; Further impacted by the point being made about not needing to change anything strategy team wise. He might have to worry about other members of the team walking away (Leclerc) if something doesn't change sooner or later...

CRazyLemon

space wadet wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 05:59
Leclerc will be starting from the back of the grid in Spa, and most likely also another time before the end of the season. They've been accumulating exhausts and gearboxes up to the allowed limit until Hungary on LEC's car, so they can take a new gearbox and exhaust with a whole new powerunit without losing more positions (as they'll be starting from the back either way).

The problems with Ferrari's engines have generated increased use of exhausts, which are also capped at an annual maximum number that is 8. Especially for Leclerc, who arrived at Silverstone at no less than 5 used exhausts (also due to the double engine change) of the 8 available per season with 13 GPs still to go. Hence Ferrari's choice to accumulate (perfectly usable) exhausts between Austria, France and Hungary in order to arrive at Spa with the possibility of a penalty, which would happen for free if the fifth power unit will be fitted on the No. 16, as it seems. [...] A similar argument can be made for transmissions since Ferrari fitted the fourth in Hungary, and that may bring Leclerc in a 'free' penalty at Spa. In conclusion, the next GP for Leclerc could be the stock one in terms of exhausts and transmissions to avoid surprises, i.e., penalties on these two macro components on weekends where there are no engine replacements.
Source: formu1a.uno (Duchessa)
https://www.formu1a.uno/scelta-strategi ... el-motore/

Realistically, the championship became unlikely after the second engine failure in Baku. I'm sure it was clear to Binotto and the team. There would be 2 or 3 starts from the backs at least (for each driver), the looming possibility of failures and having to run the engine in "safe mode" (which they have in France and Hungary according to formu1a.uno). This year is still a year of building and improving, as Binotto has said.
This makes no sense. Taking the grid penalty to bring PU 4 into the pool makes no sense if you're going to bring PU 5 into the pool because PU 4 can no longer be used. I concede some penalties are coming, even starting from the back, but not in Spa.

diffuser

CRazyLemon wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 14:25
space wadet wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 05:59
Leclerc will be starting from the back of the grid in Spa, and most likely also another time before the end of the season. They've been accumulating exhausts and gearboxes up to the allowed limit until Hungary on LEC's car, so they can take a new gearbox and exhaust with a whole new powerunit without losing more positions (as they'll be starting from the back either way).

The problems with Ferrari's engines have generated increased use of exhausts, which are also capped at an annual maximum number that is 8. Especially for Leclerc, who arrived at Silverstone at no less than 5 used exhausts (also due to the double engine change) of the 8 available per season with 13 GPs still to go. Hence Ferrari's choice to accumulate (perfectly usable) exhausts between Austria, France and Hungary in order to arrive at Spa with the possibility of a penalty, which would happen for free if the fifth power unit will be fitted on the No. 16, as it seems. [...] A similar argument can be made for transmissions since Ferrari fitted the fourth in Hungary, and that may bring Leclerc in a 'free' penalty at Spa. In conclusion, the next GP for Leclerc could be the stock one in terms of exhausts and transmissions to avoid surprises, i.e., penalties on these two macro components on weekends where there are no engine replacements.
Source: formu1a.uno (Duchessa)
https://www.formu1a.uno/scelta-strategi ... el-motore/

Realistically, the championship became unlikely after the second engine failure in Baku. I'm sure it was clear to Binotto and the team. There would be 2 or 3 starts from the backs at least (for each driver), the looming possibility of failures and having to run the engine in "safe mode" (which they have in France and Hungary according to formu1a.uno). This year is still a year of building and improving, as Binotto has said.
This makes no sense. Taking the grid penalty to bring PU 4 into the pool makes no sense if you're going to bring PU 5 into the pool because PU 4 can no longer be used. I concede some penalties are coming, even starting from the back, but not in Spa.
You can use any PU in the pool you want.

diffuser

Was the Hungry race pace really a strategy error? Can we blame the strategists when there were so many unknowns on that Sunday with such a huge shift in temp? Many writers her have presumed that the Ferrari should have known that they could not get the hards to work cause Alpine couldn't. That isn't a given, there is a window there were Ferrari might have gotten it to work.

AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 18:07
Was the Hungry race pace really a strategy error? Can we blame the strategists when there were so many unknowns on that Sunday with such a huge shift in temp? Many writers her have presumed that the Ferrari should have known that they could not get the hards to work cause Alpine couldn't. That isn't a given, there is a window there were Ferrari might have gotten it to work.
It was more than Alpine who couldn't get them to work. Haas and Alfa also tried them.

aleks_ader

I never saw in drizzle condition hard compund would make any sense... Thats basics of racing... i mean i cannnot believe beacuse its dumm.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

JordanMugen

diffuser wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 18:07
Was the Hungry race pace really a strategy error?
When even the commentators think it is a bad idea, then it is a bad idea! This is not the first time Leclerc has taken a disastrous strategy either, three times in 13 races -- that must be some kind of record.

Reorganising the strategy department absolutely should be a top priority for Ferrari. Unlike aerodynamics or powertrain, this is something that can and should be fixed very quickly.

Indycar strategy operates with just one person per car not a strategy team of dozens of engineers, and even then they don't tend to get things wrong as often as Ferrari.

codetower wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 22:19
Everybody makes mistakes. No body is perfect. And if you have read my posts, never have I lost faith. On the contrary, I have said that I believe Binotto and the team will improve... in the strategic area as effectively as they have in other areas. I've even replied to one of your posts where I said that I do not want the team to get rid of Binotto, that I believe he has done well, and I believe he can fix this area as well. Faith, I have not lost. Don't confuse recognizing a mistake, and hoping for solutions, with losing faith.
Of course not, me neither, that would be absurd. Binotto is doing a great job. Binotto should however take the action to replace Iñaki Rueda with another engineer as head of strategy and move Rueda to another role IMO.

Surely there are other young, aspiring engineers in Ferrari -- skilled in mathematics and simulations, and indeed with basic intuition on how to run a race -- who might have better ideas on how to run Ferrari strategy?

If Ferrari really have no ideas on how to improve their strategy department, then just spend the money to poach chief strategist Hannah Schmitz from Red Bull. Compared to Ferrari, Red Bull rarely have disastrous strategies.

But I'm sure there are already better strategy minds within the team already, they just need to be moved to the role of chief strategist and given the authority to overhaul Ferrari's strategy tools and decision-making processes so that Ferrari strategy operates decisively and logically, similar to Red Bull.
Last edited by JordanMugen on 10 Aug 2022, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.