2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPBD1990

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Oy vey. I’ve supported Ferrari since day dot, the first race I ever watched (spa 2005 when Schumacher and Sato collided). That is over half my life.

Even I get the feeling… do they ever learn? Politics will be the death of us. Instead of personal power or glory, I want them to do what’s best for the team. I don’t see that in decisions like inviting Horner in, seemingly only months after they declared they don’t want a ‘star’ type person at the top (this was when Allison left) and instead want to better integrate the team and foster better collaboration. Well…. That’s out the window now that Elkann’s (reportedly), and who next? Why not get rid of everyone and just try to hire the entire Mercedes’ factory at a single unit? Oh wait… it’s because nobody seems to want to join Ferrari (Horner, Seidl, rumours of Newey, etc), so best get on with the MF job and empower those we DO have to do their best. I don’t think you do that by having them constantly looking over their shoulder at who might replace them. Same sh** different day with Ferrari.

Jolle

JPBD1990 wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 12:02
Oy vey. I’ve supported Ferrari since day dot, the first race I ever watched (spa 2005 when Schumacher and Sato collided). That is over half my life.

Even I get the feeling… do they ever learn? Politics will be the death of us. Instead of personal power or glory, I want them to do what’s best for the team. I don’t see that in decisions like inviting Horner in, seemingly only months after they declared they don’t want a ‘star’ type person at the top (this was when Allison left) and instead want to better integrate the team and foster better collaboration. Well…. That’s out the window now that Elkann’s (reportedly), and who next? Why not get rid of everyone and just try to hire the entire Mercedes’ factory at a single unit? Oh wait… it’s because nobody seems to want to join Ferrari (Horner, Seidl, rumours of Newey, etc), so best get on with the MF job and empower those we DO have to do their best. I don’t think you do that by having them constantly looking over their shoulder at who might replace them. Same sh** different day with Ferrari.
Well, that first race you watched was with people in charge of Ferrari that they “bought” a decade prior from other teams and had the same status as Horner and Seidl now. Brawn was one of the big people behind the Benneton succes and Todt put Peugeot on the map with Dakar, Le Mans and their entry in F1. John Bernard, Steve Nicols and Rory Burne (forgive my spelling of my names) were all highly successful at their previous teams and had no obvious link with Ferrari before they were hired. It was more, during the mid nineties. Buying an all-star team together.

It would be like getting Horner, Newey and Verstappen from RedBull, Seidl from McLaren and Gasly from AT.

Scalexf1

JPower wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 19:26
Interesting post mate.
Ferrari F1 2022 team thread and this post is really relevant, yet it’s been dismissed and ignored.
Some hypothetical team advisor role that was not filled, that’s been created by a couple of media outlets is the main focus.
3 extra days at fiorano, doing what exactly?
This amazingly enough should at least attract some attention?

Jolle

Scalexf1 wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 12:51
JPower wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 19:26
Interesting post mate.
Ferrari F1 2022 team thread and this post is really relevant, yet it’s been dismissed and ignored.
Some hypothetical team advisor role that was not filled, that’s been created by a couple of media outlets is the main focus.
3 extra days at fiorano, doing what exactly?
This amazingly enough should at least attract some attention?
This is something they do almost every year. Take a car from the corsa program and do a few days on their own track. Just to get everybody get the feel of a F1 car again. Last year it was Schumacher, Sainz and Leclec if I recall correctly.

Scalexf1

I understand that one, but why looking through the thread is it ignored.
If you were Ferrari with a new engine config this year, would you not at least use the 3 days for something constructive?
The other teams have to consume their filming allocation to do a day on track to hopefully trap any potential issues.
The rectification process to solve most issues on the car that may arise generally take a fair amount of time.
Alpine will bring their mule tyre testing car to Barcelona with hypothetically their new engine.
Again, Ferrari are on track already. I’m not a Ferrari fan, however I cannot believe they are just sending the drivers out to go round, whilst they watch and eat ice cream! Fair play to them if they can use this time to get a head start and breach the gap that exists between them and the two top teams from last year.
Perhaps the rules do not allow them to run a current 2022 engine? But how can that be defined?
Perhaps they are running on springs and dampers now?
What would any team do given the opportunity to test, with such a huge shift in regulation between 2021 and 2022.

F1NAC

Scalexf1 wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 13:49
If you were Ferrari with a new engine config this year, would you not at least use the 3 days for something constructive?
The other teams have to consume their filming allocation to do a day on track to hopefully trap any potential issues.
The rectification process to solve most issues on the car that may arise generally take a fair amount of time.
Alpine will bring their mule tyre testing car to Barcelona with hypothetically their new engine.
Again, Ferrari are on track already. I’m not a Ferrari fan, however I cannot believe they are just sending the drivers out to go round, whilst they watch and eat ice cream! Fair play to them if they can use this time to get a head start and breach the gap that exists between them and the two top teams from last year.
Perhaps the rules do not allow them to run a current 2022 engine? But how can that be defined?
What would any team do given the opportunity to test, with such a huge shift in regulation between 2021 and 2022.
This test is probably for getting drivers in touch after the break. And probably sim correlation? . They cannot put brand new engine in it if it didn't compete in previous seasons.

Jolle

Scalexf1 wrote:
If they would do 2022 work in some way, it would count to the budget or as an official test etc etc. These tests are done like forever by the clienti corsa team, without any new parts.

JPBD1990

Jolle wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 12:17
JPBD1990 wrote:

Well, that first race you watched was with people in charge of Ferrari that they “bought” a decade prior from other teams and had the same status as Horner and Seidl now. Brawn was one of the big people behind the Benneton succes and Todt put Peugeot on the map with Dakar, Le Mans and their entry in F1. John Bernard, Steve Nicols and Rory Burne (forgive my spelling of my names) were all highly successful at their previous teams and had no obvious link with Ferrari before they were hired. It was more, during the mid nineties. Buying an all-star team together.

It would be like getting Horner, Newey and Verstappen from RedBull, Seidl from McLaren and Gasly from AT.
Good point well made. Mine was only to ask, how long do you need to give a team to bring success? Not even the dream team of Todt, Brawn, Byrne, Schumacher, etc, could bring a championship immediately. It took them 5 seasons to bring it home.

This structure, under Binotto, has been in place for barely 4 seasons (I forget if he officially became team principal at the beginning of ‘18 or ‘19?). How long do they get before the conversation turns from a ‘growth’ story (like McLaren at the moment for example), to a ‘do or die’ scenario which seems a constant at Ferrari.

Scalexf1

Jolle wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 13:54
Scalexf1 wrote:
If they would do 2022 work in some way, it would count to the budget or as an official test etc etc. These tests are done like forever by the clienti corsa team, without any new parts.
Please don’t think I’m being argumentative that is not my intention.
So there is an FIA official there to observe?

Jolle

JPBD1990 wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 14:02
Jolle wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 12:17
JPBD1990 wrote:

Good point well made. Mine was only to ask, how long do you need to give a team to bring success? Not even the dream team of Todt, Brawn, Byrne, Schumacher, etc, could bring a championship immediately. It took them 5 seasons to bring it home.

This structure, under Binotto, has been in place for barely 4 seasons (I forget if he officially became team principal at the beginning of ‘18 or ‘19?). How long do they get before the conversation turns from a ‘growth’ story (like McLaren at the moment for example), to a ‘do or die’ scenario which seems a constant at Ferrari.
Well, they had some setbacks during those seasons like Schumacher breaking his leg plus internal struggles still (hey, it’s Ferrari!) and the whole bunch almost got fired a couple of times. It didn’t help that in the same period Daimler went full on with buying McLaren and getting their own all-stars on board (resulting in two titles).

We’ve seen in the past that it takes around 4-5 years of investment with the right people (Newey, Brawn) and the right money (Daimler, PMI or RedBull) to get a title. This has been the case for McLaren from 1980 to 1984, Williams from 1988 to 1992, Benneton from 1990 to 1994, Daimler from 1994 to 1998, Ferrari from 1996 to 2001, Redbull from 2004 to 2010 and Mercedes from 2010 to 2014.

The problem now with Ferrari is that their team doesn’t resemble one of those teams when they were building up to their succes. Ferrari today looks more like the period between Prost leaving and the all-star team starting. So much so that if you wanted to make a movie of those years (92,93,94 etc) you could cast Leclec and Sainz in the roles of Alesi and Berger and Fry would make an excellent Bernard.

jumpingfish

Scalexf1 wrote:
They have a hybrid that was used in 2021 and will be used in 2022, so hypothetically they can test it at maximum loads to see what happens. Last season, they probably couldn't do it because of the risk of DNF, but now no limits for it.

JPower

Never would’ve guessed a small blurb about Todt not coming would garner such a strong reaction. Its really not that serious IMO.

Regardless, I’m excited to see what they’ve come up with for 2022. I haven’t seen anything over the past year to suggest that Ferrari isn’t headed in the right direction both on and off track.

EDIT: I don't agree with the 90's Berger/Alesi comparison. At all. Jean Todt didn't either when they asked him about it in 2020 and that was in the middle of a horrific season. Ferrari is in far better shape as an organization now than it was back then.

F1NAC

It seems that they will change their testing programme, because it is still not allowed to test with 2021 cars. It was formally agree between teams that is OK but they need to wait for WMSC to allow it. They will revert to SF71-H

LINK

Schippke

Sorry to share the link, because I having issues loading the photo and finding any other articles on it.

In short, Ferrari has partnered with Ceva Logistics… but the image shared might give a solid idea of the 2022 livery, with updated sponsors etc.
Last edited by Schippke on 29 Jan 2022, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

JPower

Back on track.

Rumor is a Mercedes-powered team called the FIA to stop Ferrari from using the SF21...