2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JordanMugen

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

ringo wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 14:39
“I told Oscar before the announcement was made, he happened to be in the simulator so I went and found him, he smiled and was thankful, so we made the release very quickly.
BS meter off the charts on that one... If Piastri was in the Alpine factory, why did they not obtain a quote from him for the press release?

Spending millions on this kid and securing his career through to 2024.
So even worse than Russell's deal, instead of 3 years driving for Williams, Piastri had one year driving nothing as part of the three years (before 2 years driving for Williams).

JordanMugen

ringo wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 08:06
Now that this saga has aged, do people still despise Alpine for their position that Piastri has no loyalty?
Of course. If Alpine wanted to confirm Piastri in the car for 2023, they had every opportunity to do so in March, April or June. Yet, they did not even offered a confirmed 2024 Alpine race seat for Piastri, let alone a confirmed 2023 one.
Instead the 2024 Alpine race seat was assured to Alonso in Alonso's one plus one offer.

"We offered {Fernando] a one plus one deal. And we discussed with Fernando that: 'Look, if next year at this time you're performing at the same level, of course, we will take you."

Note that Fernando Alonso was offered the one plus one year Alpine deal, whereas Oscar Piastri was not offered the one plus one deal nor a two year deal. Piastri logically took a one plus one or two year McLaren deal instead, which is an eminently logical decision.
Last edited by JordanMugen on 27 Aug 2022, 15:05, edited 2 times in total.

Big Tea

If nothing else, there are probably only ever going to be 10 teams he will have to deal with, and probably not 4 of those, so would a short phone call have been such a tremendous hardship?
This could come back and bite him several years in the future. As you say, probably ill advised.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JordanMugen

Big Tea wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 15:03
If nothing else, there are probably only ever going to be 10 teams he will have to deal with, and probably not 4 of those, so would a short phone call have been such a tremendous hardship?
This could come back and bite him several years in the future. As you say, probably ill advised.
What short phone call? Surely Alpine should not have announced Piastri without a comment from Piastri, who in this instance happened to already be under contract with McLaren as Alpine had not made an offer in a timely manner? :?:

If Alpine were so keen for Piastri to race under loan at Williams, why did they not purchase the Williams drive currently occupied by Alex Albon? Piastri would likely have been happy to debut for Williams in 2022. :?:
Last edited by JordanMugen on 27 Aug 2022, 15:08, edited 2 times in total.

101FlyingDutchman

Big Tea wrote:
There is probably a lot more to it than meets the eye. I think everyone is economical with the truth to say the least. Especially with arbitration ruling coming up

Big Tea

JordanMugen wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 15:06
Big Tea wrote:
What short phone call? Surely Alpine should not have announced Piastri without a comment from Piastri, who in this instance happened to already be under contract with McLaren as Alpine had not made an offer in a timely manner? :?:
As I say, Alpine will have a choice of hundreds, Piastri will only ever have a choice f maybe 6, so why piss one of them off? That's one team plus if people move from Alpine to other teams and take their hump with them

djos

ringo wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 14:39
Ground Effect wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 12:34
Big Tea wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 11:11

The only thing that rankles me slightly is the way he posted 'I will not be' to all rather than a quick text/ message to Alpine saying 'look guys, I am not'. It did make them look bad. Not what he did, but the way he presented it.
I guess it was done as what could be a legal defence, a public refusal of the Alpine drive. Let’s also not forget, Alpine posted that without his consent, which shouldn’t be the case.
Now... I maintain that the team has professionals in it and they must have dotted all their i's and crossed their t's before they made an announcement and they did. And Oscar the snake sat there in the similator and smiled.
So I really do wonder if some fans just want to support the underdog or just automatically go against the team because Alonso left it so they must be a bad team.
Alpine is the loyal one here. Spending millions on this kid and securing his career through to 2024. Many out there would have liked this opportunity. I feel Webber has miaguided this young man and he is doing a poor job of management. He is probably using his poor experiences of the past to make some of these very bitter moves for the young driver.
The whole “we spent millions on him is rubbish”, Alpine covered less than a 3rd of his annual junior racing budgets.

And him driving their previous cars was part of his job, they didn’t put him in the car out of the kindness of their hearts. He was there to collect data for the team.

They’d have put any reserve driver in the car, because that’s their job.
Last edited by djos on 27 Aug 2022, 15:16, edited 2 times in total.
"In downforce we trust"

JordanMugen

Big Tea wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 15:09
As I say, Alpine will have a choice of hundreds, Piastri will only ever have a choice f maybe 6, so why piss one of them off?
So keep Alpine happy by driving for Williams for 2 years instead of driving for McLaren for 2 years? Do you really think that is a good way to further your F1 career?

I think it self-evident that debuting for a mid-pack team is superior to debuting for a backmarker team with the possibility of upgrading to a mid-pack team in likely three seasons time.

"We offered [Fernando] a one plus one deal. And we discussed with Fernando that: 'Look, if next year at this time you're performing at the same level, of course, we will take you." So that's Alonso confirmed at Alpine for 2023 + 2024.

Driving for Williams for two years, after already being provided with a one year sabbatical, is really not the attractive proposal that Alpine seem to think it is! McLaren offered a much more attractive proposal and Piastri, rightly, took it. :)
Last edited by JordanMugen on 27 Aug 2022, 15:20, edited 4 times in total.

CaribouBread

Big Tea wrote:

As I say, Alpine will have a choice of hundreds, Piastri will only ever have a choice f maybe 6, so why piss one of them off? That's one team plus if people move from Alpine to other teams and take their hump with them
As we probably will never know the full details anytime soon I'm guessing Oscar saw it as either staying on the sidelines for yet another year or piss off one team in exchange for a drive. Was it a wise decision? I don't know, but it must've been a decision that was well deliberated on by Piastri and his team. He knows the consequences better than we do.

Big Tea

JordanMugen wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 15:15
Big Tea wrote:
As I say, Alpine will have a choice of hundreds, Piastri will only ever have a choice f maybe 6, so why piss one of them off?
By driving for Williams for 2 years instead of driving for McLaren for 2 years? Do you really think that is a good way to further your F1 career?

I think it self-evident that debuting for a mid-pack team is superior to debuting for a backmarker team with the possibility of upgrading to a mid-pack team in likely three seasons time.

"We offered [Fernando] a one plus one deal. And we discussed with Fernando that: 'Look, if next year at this time you're performing at the same level, of course, we will take you."

Driving for Williams for two years, after already being provided with a one year sabbatical, is really not the attractive proposal that Alpine seem to think it is! McLaren offered a much more attractive proposal and Piastri, rightly, took it. :)
Is looking good on social media for a few days more important than keeping career paths free for the rest of your time in the sport? Even if he is 120% the guy who has been done down, reality is that he does not have the winning hand for the next decade. All the drivers are at the mercy of the teams so a little forethought when dealing with them is never wasted. Its like someone reversing into you when you are standing behind them Of course its all their fault, but you feel relieved if you jump out of the way in time.

JordanMugen

Big Tea wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 15:23
Is looking good on social media for a few days more important than keeping career paths free for the rest of your time in the sport? Even if he is 120% the guy who has been done down, reality is that he does not have the winning hand for the next decade. All the drivers are at the mercy of the teams so a little forethought when dealing with them is never wasted. Its like someone reversing into you when you are standing behind them Of course its all their fault, but you feel relieved if you jump out of the way in time.
:?: :?: :?:

Schumacher escaped a Jordan contract and Senna escaped a Toleman contract. It was really no great problem for either driver.

Big Tea

JordanMugen wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 15:38
Big Tea wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 15:23
:?: :?: :?:

Schumacher escaped a Jordan contract and Senna escaped a Toleman contract. It was really no great problem for either driver.
I think we need to see what actually happened as we are all working on hearsay, but Me, I think I would take the friendly way, or at least smile while stabbing :mrgreen:

organic

Seems maybe gasly is in the conversation, motorsport are reporting

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/alpin ... /10358913/

diffuser

JordanMugen wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 15:15
Big Tea wrote:
So keep Alpine happy by driving for Williams for 2 years instead of driving for McLaren for 2 years? Do you really think that is a good way to further your F1 career?

"We offered [Fernando] a one plus one deal. And we discussed with Fernando that: 'Look, if next year at this time you're performing at the same level, of course, we will take you." So that's Alonso confirmed at Alpine for 2023 + 2024.

Only thing that matters is what's in the contract. You think it was good for Albon's carreer to after a year at RedBull, being kicked to the side and then sit for another year ?

SmallSoldier

ringo wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 08:06
Now that this saga has aged, do people still despise Alpine for their position that Piastri has no loyalty?
No despise for Alpine… Otmar though? Completely different question…