2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
selvam_e2002

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

It seems too much management people in Alpine management. Hence they are streamlining the f1 org. but they should given respect to Prost.

lio007

From reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... om_alpine/

Since the beginning of the afternoon, the news has been circulating on social networks: Alain Prost is leaving his position at Alpine, which he has held since Renault's return to Formula 1 at the end of 2015. On Monday evening, for L'Équipe, the much sought-after former world champion agreed to talk about this departure, which puts an end to a long collaboration with the French manufacturer. And it was via Zoom that the former non-executive director, like his friend Niki Lauda at Mercedes, gave the reasons for this separation, while answering the numerous messages he received from members of the team.

"Why leave Alpine after so many years with Renault as ambassador and non-executive chairman?

In September 2020, when Cyril (Abiteboul, then team boss) was still there, Luca (De Meo, the president of the Renault group) had proposed that I take on the role of president of Alpine F1. In principle, I accepted, Marcin (Budkowksi, who was dismissed last week) was to take charge of the team and Cyril was to manage the brand. We talked about it again in December, but in January 2021 Laurent Rossi was appointed. I therefore continued in my previous role, as non-executive director and advisor to the president.

Alpine, a mixed record for the 2021 season

But to come back to the question of my departure, the 2021 season was very disturbing for me insofar as I felt that the old ones had to go. I accept the change, because you don't have to do F1 in the same way all the time. You can do it differently, and that's what has been done throughout the last year. But for me it became too complicated. I was no longer involved in the decisions, sometimes I didn't share them, even not at all, but I had to continue to carry the official word. Even as a member of the board, I found out about some decisions at the last minute. You may not be listened to, but at least you should be warned in time. It's a question of respect. Relationships became more and more complicated, I felt that there was a lot of jealousy.

From whom?

Laurent Rossi wants to be alone, not to be polluted by anyone. In fact, he told me himself that he no longer needed an adviser. That was in Qatar, but he still offered me a contract in Abu Dhabi, which I refused. It must be said that it was a project in which I believed and still believe, an ambitious project which has given the group incredible motivation. But now there is a real desire to put a lot of people on the sidelines. Laurent Rossi wants all the light. What interests me is the challenge of being part of a team and being listened to and involved in certain decisions. I was voluntarily very much in the background, but I had a lot of influence in a discreet way despite all the disagreements that I kept to myself.

Many changes for Formula 1 in 2022

You are leaving a week after Marcin Budkowski (executive director). How do you see this season being so important for the brand?

No one is indispensable and, of course, I am no more indispensable than anyone else. But we mustn't forget that everything that is being done here today and for 2022 has been launched two or three years ago. Today's management, as you know as well as I do, will only be judged in one or two seasons, not before. We must be aware of this. Alpine was undoubtedly the first to focus on this objective of regulatory change. So the team will start with new faces, why not? Otmar (Szafnauer), if he comes, I like him. But we mustn't forget all the work done by the guys in Viry or Enstone, who are working hard on this project. Again, I have nothing against change, but what I don't appreciate is the lack of respect towards people. What I like is the human element.

So could Alpine win in 2022?

It's hard to answer that. We wonder about the reliability of the engine. But that doesn't worry me much, because what is most important is the performance. Since the engines are fixed, we have to work on that. But once I've said that, I can't say anything more because we'll have to compare ourselves with the others. And this season is going to be tremendously exciting because of this unknown. I'm extremely interested to see the hierarchy, the fight of Lewis (Hamilton) for an eighth title...

So, for you, Hamilton will be there?

No, I'm not sure. But I hope so much that he will come back...

Lewis Hamilton, a silence that makes people talk

We feel you are still passionate. Freed from your links with Alpine, could we now see you follow the path of Jean Todt?

I'll tell you a secret: I was very close to running for the presidency of the FIA, but it was too late. I have been in Formula 1 for almost forty years, in all positions, from driver to team owner, including board positions (McLaren and then Renault). I also chaired the GPWC (the championship that the manufacturers were threatening to create to counter the influence of Bernie Ecclestone in the late 2000s). So it's a role I might have liked, but I'm not looking for anything in particular. I just want to be happy and work with people I enjoy.

And now you didn't have any?

Not at all. When the team boss doesn't even say hello to you when you arrive at the circuit, there's no more fun.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

AeroDynamic

So Prost is suggesting this instability is not business, it’s a personal fallout?

Hopefully for their sake, this may not mean the car / engine is a failing to meet expectations. The atmosphere at Alpine in management sounds very unhealthy at the moment.

Imagine if Briatore changed his mind and returned to this outfit to lead Alonso’s charge.. I forgot, he got banned for cheating with him before

So Otmar is favourite? It feels like things are very irrational at the moment. Bringing in MotoGP big name but he’s not team principal. Firing Cyril, Marcin, and now Prost has had enough of the bulls**t.

Maybe things are failing to meet expectations, and Marcin was made the fall guy, and Rossi is just looking after his own ass.
Last edited by CMSMJ1 on 19 Jan 2022, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need for the image

stan_french

I think for me this all seems fairly clear, and actually if you read between the lines i dont think Rossi is necessarily as bad as Prost is painting him. From what I'm understanding, Rossi joined in and then realised the management roles were too cluttered and basically just a whole haggle of politics. Maybe also Prost's advice was not very useful and slowly Rossi decided to cut him out of the decision making.

Personally I don't think this over hall of the management is necessarily a bad idea. The way it is being done is for sure not at all optimal, and personally I still dont understand who revealed that Prost was leaving Alpine, because there is still no official word from alpine. All we have in prost's instagram post.

Returning to Rossi's management overall though, firing the "useless" people and bring in new management who will set less politics in play, might be the best idea. Let's see what the future brings.

gshevlin

Alain Prost's behavior is that of a person who has been slighted, and is lashing out.
The leadership side of Alpine has been in a state of flux for a while. Stability is an essential component of business performance. Alpine needs to select the right leaders, support them and get out of the way.

PowerandtheGlory

French Brand, letting go of the the most decorated French racing driver, on the eve of its big season, and letting its CEO leave as well... it all seems very... french. And i Love the Enstone team and will keep supporting them. But it seems a bit like a revolution there, with a few people getting the 'chop'.. i only hope it brings an improvement in results. Prost still a Legend and hopefully he finds a new project to enjoy. Merci Alain,
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

diffuser

Not sure why some people are surprised. As I said before, Rossi was hired in January 2021 to run Alpine. It's only natural that he's gonna hire his own people.

If he bring Otmar and Austrian water sponsor BWT, that will give an influx of Money. It will likely increase Alpine's budget right to the CAP edge, I hope.

Win/Win as far as I'm concerned.

west52keep64

Kind of suggests there are some concerns around the performance of the original management team... not a good sign for '22! If the car is a dog, Alonso leaving will be the next announcement.

PlatinumZealot

Yup. Rossi is cleaning house. I don't agree with how he handled the situation, Budkowski definitely had to go, but he could have dealt with Prost better by listening to his input. I think he has the right attitude towards winning, but his burning desire to make his name as a Toto Wolf or Jean Todt is causing him good relationships with people.

We saw that the Alpine went backwards in how the setup of the car was managed in 2021 and the I think the engine was supposed to be for 2021 for live testing ala Honda but it didn't make it for some reason. This was an engine architecture that was anticipated for 2020 if I recall... So two years delay.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

wogx

Why Budkowski had to go?
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

diffuser

wogx wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 09:10
Why Budkowski had to go?
You'd have to ask Rossi why.

selvam_e2002

Next Alonso? and bring young blood Oscar Piastri in 2023?

Big Tea

selvam_e2002 wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 15:44
The worst thing for a youngster would be to go to an unstable team. He will have enough problems adapting if everyone else is happily doing their thing, fitting in amongst chaos will not help him at all.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 16:06
selvam_e2002 wrote:
The worst thing for a youngster would be to go to an unstable team. He will have enough problems adapting if everyone else is happily doing their thing, fitting in amongst chaos will not help him at all.
Let's not get carried away with calling this Chaos. If Otmar does come onboard, then Rossi has been planning this for 9 Months. It unfortunate what's happenned with Prost but he's also prooved to me that Rossi was right for reducing his access. He's shown that he isn't to be trusted as he lashes out like a scroned lad.

BassVirolla

diffuser wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 18:19
Big Tea wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 16:06
selvam_e2002 wrote:
Let's not get carried away with calling this Chaos. If Otmar does come onboard, then Rossi has been planning this for 9 Months. It unfortunate what's happenned with Prost but he's also prooved to me that Rossi was right for reducing his access. He's shown that he isn't to be trusted as he lashes out like a scroned lad.
I don't think that he lashed out. If asked in an interview, he has all right to answer. And, tome, he did in quite a polite manner, for someone given the boot after so many years involved in the company in a non responsibly / accountant mode.

If someone with more technical / management responsability does poorly and gets fired, that's right (it's needed, in fact). For a not binding consultancy and team public image, Prost could be very useful, if you, as an structure manager, know how to handle it. In fact, his main point is to be badly set aside, to the point Rossi was even not saying good morning.

After all what we are knowing, I still think that Alpine F1 team is a company were could be very toxic to work. Looks like it's getting more and more like a Ron Dennis McLaren, but without the McLaren team career results.