2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
The Prodigy
The Prodigy

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

e30ernest wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 12:39
Sebastian is retiring at the end of 2022..... That's a huge shocker!
Well I am not surprised. He is more activist then F1 race driver.

Who will get the second seat at Aston Martin?

Alonso? Ricciardo? Piastri? Hulkenberg?

Wouter

The Prodigy wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 13:10
e30ernest wrote:
What a nonsense! Seb is a racingdriver pure sang. There is also live outside the F1. Now it is time for that. He deserves it!

122 Podiums 🍾
53 Grand Prix Wins 🏆
4 F1 World Titles 👑

There'll only ever be ONE Sebastian Vettel 👏

Thank you Seb, it's been a pleasure!

In German:

Last edited by Wouter on 28 Jul 2022, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

So now the summer carousel has been started up. I think Ricciardo will be dumped, so he could be a contender.

But I would prefer they take back Perez. Than Alonso to RBR and Piastri as Alpine racing driver

Mansell89
Mansell89

Just a huge congrats to Seb on a very, very good career. 4 WDCs, plenty of wins and podiums, followed his hero into Ferrari and became a much loved part of the paddock.

Good luck Seb and well done on being brave and doing the best for the family.

diffuser

e30ernest wrote:
He had his days in the sun but that's the best upgrade of the year!

diffuser

NL_Fer wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 13:19
So now the summer carousel has been started up. I think Ricciardo will be dumped, so he could be a contender.

But I would prefer they take back Perez. Than Alonso to RBR and Piastri as Alpine racing driver
You didn't read his direct quote saying he's staying at McLaren till atleast the end of 2023? You're a little more on.

NAPI10
NAPI10

Seb's decision is also an indicator that AM is far from producing a competitive car in near future. This itself will rule out the interest of drivers like Alonso or Ric(even if he is dumped by Mclr).
Looking at Lance's horrified form; AM won't sign any rookie. Albon could be a potential candidate or back to Hulk.

diffuser

The Prodigy wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 13:10
e30ernest wrote:

Who will get the second seat at Aston Martin?

Alonso? Ricciardo? Piastri? Hulkenberg?
There were rumours around the Miami GP time of AMR going hard after Alonso. If Alpine refuses to give Alonso a multiyear deal he's looking for, he could jump ship. My feeling there is that Alpine are gonna lock Alonso up for as long as he wants to stay in F1 and they're gonna hand him LMF drive after that.

McLaren are willing to let Ricciardo go but that isn't their call. You have to entice Ricciardo to go. It would take an extension to his contract to move, are you willing pay Ricciardo $17 Million (34 for 2 years) in his current state ?

Piastri can be had if the deal isn't already signed with Williams.

I always though the Hulk was a great driver.... You'd have to start putting him in FPs ASAP if you want him to be ready for next year.

Enstone
Enstone

Hulk only valuable option for 2023... maybe Piastri ? but who will replace Latifi ?
For sure we will have some changes next year that's cool !

diffuser

NAPI10 wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 14:26
Seb's decision is also an indicator that AM is far from producing a competitive car in near future. This itself will rule out the interest of drivers like Alonso or Ric(even if he is dumped by Mclr).
Looking at Lance's horrified form; AM won't sign any rookie. Albon could be a potential candidate or back to Hulk.
Like I said, Maybe the drivers are the problem and not the car. Maybe you put an Alonso in that car and in 5 races it's on the podium.

LHamilton
LHamilton

Sad to see the person Vettel gone from F1. What he stands for and all that. I kinda felt that a Vettel retirement was written on the wall. He hasn't really been himself speed-vise on track. I expected him to be somewhat faster than he was, but I think he is one of those hard workers (which a lot of people within F1 has said) that when that hard working stops somewhat, the results falter on track. I wish Vettel nothing but the best. Hopefully he will stay around in some capacity within F1.

What happens next for AM? My thinking is that they have their eyes on two people; Alonso and Ricciardo. I don't think Alonso wants to go to AM in this moment. I think he is happy in Alpine and I think Alpine is happy with him. He seems to be driving on a very high standard, still. Ricciardo is a realistic possibility for both parties I'd say. The question is, when does that happen? 2023 or 2024? There are pros and cons for both, but I probably see 2024 as a more realistic option due to the car difference at this moment in time. Going to AM would be, at this stage, a bit of a backstep move. So maybe someone like Hulkenberg for a year and then turn to Ricciardo? I think Hulkenberg in 2019/2020 form is better the most people on the grid. The questions is; will he still be at that form?

Maybe you go for someone like Piastri, but then you lack leadership within the team to guide them forward, I feel. Kinda feel like my Hulkenberg option sounds the most logical, unless either Alonso or Ricciardo jumps ship straight away. But F1 doesn't really do logical. So that probably excludes my theory..

Big Tea

LHamilton wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 15:12
Sad to see the person Vettel gone from F1. What he stands for and all that. I kinda felt that a Vettel retirement was written on the wall. He hasn't really been himself speed-vise on track. I expected him to be somewhat faster than he was, but I think he is one of those hard workers (which a lot of people within F1 has said) that when that hard working stops somewhat, the results falter on track. I wish Vettel nothing but the best. Hopefully he will stay around in some capacity within F1.

What happens next for AM? My thinking is that they have their eyes on two people; Alonso and Ricciardo. I don't think Alonso wants to go to AM in this moment. I think he is happy in Alpine and I think Alpine is happy with him. He seems to be driving on a very high standard, still. Ricciardo is a realistic possibility for both parties I'd say. The question is, when does that happen? 2023 or 2024? There are pros and cons for both, but I probably see 2024 as a more realistic option due to the car difference at this moment in time. Going to AM would be, at this stage, a bit of a backstep move. So maybe someone like Hulkenberg for a year and then turn to Ricciardo? I think Hulkenberg in 2019/2020 form is better the most people on the grid. The questions is; will he still be at that form?

Maybe you go for someone like Piastri, but then you lack leadership within the team to guide them forward, I feel. Kinda feel like my Hulkenberg option sounds the most logical, unless either Alonso or Ricciardo jumps ship straight away. But F1 doesn't really do logical. So that probably excludes my theory..
They need an established experienced driver to steady the ship, but who would want to go there as things stand?
Bottas would be an obvious target, but he is unlikely to want to change now with things looking up where he is, the next 'contender' in my eyes would be Romain Grosjean, but he seems settled in USA, so I think the next one off the cab rank would have to be Albon. Not the same standing as Seb, but a known quantity with experience in several different cars and (seems) easy to get on with (as Stroll is going to stay no matter what).

I would not be surprised though if they went for Schumacher for the attention, but it would be a bad move.
Other than that they need to look for retired F1 drivers gone further a-field as a stop gap. Vandoorne? even Di Resta for a temp fill in
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

Just think how much better off they'd be if they would not have sent Perez packing .....

Wastegate
Wastegate

What about DeVries ?

NAPI10
NAPI10

diffuser wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 15:29
Just think how much better off they'd be if they would not have sent Perez packing .....
The same thought came to my mind....both parties 'Seb & AM' goofed up.

I can understand AM since Stroll wanted to make a big statement by hiring a WC at the launch.
I don't get Seb's decision..either he was wrong in joining the team in the first place or he is wrong now to leave them prematuarly. The team is in the building phase so at least give them 3+ years. The team has money, they are going to have a brand new facility, they are hiring experience folks....give them at least 2 more years.