2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
diffuser
158
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Post

Former Merc Aerodynamist Kyle seems to think they're using some fairly interesting ideas.

[media] [/media]

User avatar
JordanMugen
67
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Post

Henri wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:03 am
These journalists haven't seen simulation data how they gpnna know of the car is bad ?.. they are spreading fud i feel they just hate aston Martin for copying Mercedes and beating ferrari lol
Three out of four cars we have seen (HAAS, McLaren & leaked AlphaTauri) have conventional shrink-wrapped downwash sidepods... as highly developed & well understood by the teams over many seasons. Two out of three are also running the front wing and nose closer to the ground in the conventional manner (we haven't seen the AlphaTauri yet), and it is quite possible those evolutionary cars will even run a little bit of conventional rake on the car. This is as opposed to the AMR22 with a raised nose & less loaded front wing centre and seen driving with a flat attitude at Silverstone.

Is it not possible that Aston Martin Racing with their atypical design have gone the wrong way and Fallows was indeed taken aback by what he saw? :?:

Of course it is also possible that Aston Martin Racing have pulled a masterstroke and the other designs are way off the mark, but it is more concerning with each rival car that uses an approach dissimilar to AMR.

I'd be very surprised if the Red Bull is more similar to the Aston Martin than to the McLaren or AlphaTauri.

Henri
Henri
-6
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:58 am

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Post

JordanMugen wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:41 am
Henri wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:03 am
These journalists haven't seen simulation data how they gpnna know of the car is bad ?.. they are spreading fud i feel they just hate aston Martin for copying Mercedes and beating ferrari lol
Three out of four cars we have seen (HAAS, McLaren & leaked AlphaTauri) have conventional shrink-wrapped downwash sidepods... as highly developed & well understood by the teams over many seasons. Two out of three are also running the front wing and nose closer to the ground in the conventional manner (we haven't seen the AlphaTauri yet), and it is quite possible those evolutionary cars will even run a little bit of conventional rake on the car. This is as opposed to the AMR22 with a raised nose & less loaded front wing centre and seen driving with a flat attitude at Silverstone.

Is it not possible that Aston Martin Racing with their atypical design have gone the wrong way and Fallows was indeed taken aback by what he saw? :?:

Of course it is also possible that Aston Martin Racing have pulled a masterstroke and the other designs are way off the mark, but it is more concerning with each rival car that uses an approach dissimilar to AMR.

I'd be very surprised if the Red Bull is more similar to the Aston Martin than to the McLaren or AlphaTauri.
We.ll know who chosen the right design.. when we get timing data in Barcelona 😁

User avatar
Chuckjr
32
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:34 am
Location: USA

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Post

Ryar wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:16 pm
adrianjordan wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:06 pm
Jolle wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:08 am
The question could be, as Racing Point and later Aston Martin, they didn't really design a car yet. Force India struggled for a while with their designs, but at the end made a pretty decent design that was outdated when Stroll took over. He "got" some Mercedes blueprints for 2020 and 2021 was very restricted (and they struggled).

With, lets say, 5 years since they really designed a decent car, can they still? Or is a low midfield, with more ambition than speed, bit heavy, not their real place?
They didn't design a car?? What the??

So who designed the Racing Point cars prior to 2020 then???

What a load of twoddle. Force India and later Racing Point had a reputation for designing effective cars on a tight budget.
+1. They always punched above their weight, until when Vijay Mallya got into financial mess. Even at that point, they took a risk to mimic Mercedes W10 with a lot of success. With all the restructuring and rebuilding, it would take a while to achieve ambitious targets. After the success of BGP001 and Mercedes take over, that team struggled with complete duds for 3 years before seeing light at the end of the tunnel. It's bonkers for an armchair expert to opine that, AM don't belong.
Truth. It always amazed me how competitive Force India was with the budget they had. Very impressive. Shame the owner got into financial struggles. I would have enjoyed seeing if Force India could become another Jordan.
Watching F1 since 1986.

User avatar
Stu
Moderator
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:05 am
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Post

Henri wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:54 am
JordanMugen wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:41 am
Henri wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:03 am
These journalists haven't seen simulation data how they gpnna know of the car is bad ?.. they are spreading fud i feel they just hate aston Martin for copying Mercedes and beating ferrari lol
Three out of four cars we have seen (HAAS, McLaren & leaked AlphaTauri) have conventional shrink-wrapped downwash sidepods... as highly developed & well understood by the teams over many seasons. Two out of three are also running the front wing and nose closer to the ground in the conventional manner (we haven't seen the AlphaTauri yet), and it is quite possible those evolutionary cars will even run a little bit of conventional rake on the car. This is as opposed to the AMR22 with a raised nose & less loaded front wing centre and seen driving with a flat attitude at Silverstone.

Is it not possible that Aston Martin Racing with their atypical design have gone the wrong way and Fallows was indeed taken aback by what he saw? :?:

Of course it is also possible that Aston Martin Racing have pulled a masterstroke and the other designs are way off the mark, but it is more concerning with each rival car that uses an approach dissimilar to AMR.

I'd be very surprised if the Red Bull is more similar to the Aston Martin than to the McLaren or AlphaTauri.
We.ll know who chosen the right design.. when we get timing data in Barcelona 😁
We won’t know until we get a few races in (although we will think that we know in Q3, Race 1).
The more that I learn, the more I appreciate how much more there is to know….

User avatar
diffuser
158
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Post

Stu wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:40 am
Henri wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:54 am
JordanMugen wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:41 am


Three out of four cars we have seen (HAAS, McLaren & leaked AlphaTauri) have conventional shrink-wrapped downwash sidepods... as highly developed & well understood by the teams over many seasons. Two out of three are also running the front wing and nose closer to the ground in the conventional manner (we haven't seen the AlphaTauri yet), and it is quite possible those evolutionary cars will even run a little bit of conventional rake on the car. This is as opposed to the AMR22 with a raised nose & less loaded front wing centre and seen driving with a flat attitude at Silverstone.

Is it not possible that Aston Martin Racing with their atypical design have gone the wrong way and Fallows was indeed taken aback by what he saw? :?:

Of course it is also possible that Aston Martin Racing have pulled a masterstroke and the other designs are way off the mark, but it is more concerning with each rival car that uses an approach dissimilar to AMR.

I'd be very surprised if the Red Bull is more similar to the Aston Martin than to the McLaren or AlphaTauri.
We.ll know who chosen the right design.. when we get timing data in Barcelona 😁
We won’t know until we get a few races in (although we will think that we know in Q3, Race 1).
Right, cause bahrain, Australia are both rear limited tracks.

F1doc
F1doc
8
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:09 am

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Post



The audio is unevenly mixed. However plenty of Seb content, and he looks pretty happy.

Macklaren
Macklaren
10
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Post

Not to make this a political thread but very strong answer from Seb when asked about the Russian GP. Good to see his leadership on major issues following Hamilton's advocacy in the last couple of years. Seb has matured a lot in the last 10 years.

User avatar
Ryar
6
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:28 pm

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Post

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... QyXvZ.html
Aston Martin are evaluating the viability of creating their own Formula 1 power unit for 2026, when revised engine regulations are set to be introduced.
If comes to fruition, this has the possibility of punching further holes in Bricksworth.
Hakuna Matata!

User avatar
diffuser
158
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Post

Ryar wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:49 pm
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... QyXvZ.html
Aston Martin are evaluating the viability of creating their own Formula 1 power unit for 2026, when revised engine regulations are set to be introduced.
If comes to fruition, this has the possibility of punching further holes in Bricksworth.
I doubt it changes the odds, either way, by more than tenths of percentage points.

Bricksworth ability to build PUs has nothing to do with the number of teams they supply.

User avatar
Ryar
6
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:28 pm

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Post

diffuser wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:12 am
Ryar wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:49 pm
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... QyXvZ.html
Aston Martin are evaluating the viability of creating their own Formula 1 power unit for 2026, when revised engine regulations are set to be introduced.
If comes to fruition, this has the possibility of punching further holes in Bricksworth.
I doubt it changes the odds, either way, by more than tenths of percentage points.

Bricksworth ability to build PUs has nothing to do with the number of teams they supply.
My point is, Bricksworth loses more people. RB has been buying away some for their new Engine facility and if AM starts too, they would also go for it. Unless, Toto has a plan for a "pink engines". :)

As RB has just started, their engine employees are potentially locked for some time and might not be easy pluck.
Hakuna Matata!

User avatar
Stu
Moderator
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:05 am
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Post

Who is the engine supplier for the AM road cars now?
The more that I learn, the more I appreciate how much more there is to know….

User avatar
diffuser
158
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Post

Ryar wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:51 am
diffuser wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:12 am
Ryar wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:49 pm
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... QyXvZ.html



If comes to fruition, this has the possibility of punching further holes in Bricksworth.
I doubt it changes the odds, either way, by more than tenths of percentage points.

Bricksworth ability to build PUs has nothing to do with the number of teams they supply.
My point is, Bricksworth loses more people. RB has been buying away some for their new Engine facility and if AM starts too, they would also go for it. Unless, Toto has a plan for a "pink engines". :)

As RB has just started, their engine employees are potentially locked for some time and might not be easy pluck.
What makes you think the RB guys are the best? What makes you think Merc let any of the best people go? Lot of aero people have been plucked from RBR over the years but they still seem to churn out great chassis. Truth is RB PU division may never build anything. RB may strike a deal with Audi in the next 3 years and RB PU propper may never build any PU for F1.

User avatar
Ryar
6
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:28 pm

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Post

diffuser wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:47 am
Ryar wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:51 am
diffuser wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:12 am


I doubt it changes the odds, either way, by more than tenths of percentage points.

Bricksworth ability to build PUs has nothing to do with the number of teams they supply.
My point is, Bricksworth loses more people. RB has been buying away some for their new Engine facility and if AM starts too, they would also go for it. Unless, Toto has a plan for a "pink engines". :)

As RB has just started, their engine employees are potentially locked for some time and might not be easy pluck.
What makes you think the RB guys are the best? What makes you think Merc let any of the best people go? Lot of aero people have been plucked from RBR over the years but they still seem to churn out great chassis. Truth is RB PU division may never build anything. RB may strike a deal with Audi in the next 3 years and RB PU propper may never build any PU for F1.
You are confusing things. Where did I say, RB guys are the best? How do you know it wasn't the best people that quit Merc? I am not even talking about RB's aero guys. Sometimes truth could be stranger than fiction. Just like you said RB may not build anything, it may so happen, RB or AM might end up buying the whole of Bricksworth! My bet on it is as big as yours.
Hakuna Matata!

User avatar
Ryar
6
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:28 pm

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Post

Stu wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:02 am
Who is the engine supplier for the AM road cars now?
They have diverse set of engines being used in road cars, including AMG engines. They are using Cosworth for Vakyrie. In the past, they even were toying of the idea of being an F1 engine supplier before Lawrence took the group over and decided to venture as an F1 team. Toto has been suggesting them not to become F1 suppliers for a while. Not sure what has changed in between or may be Mercedes themselves might be having some plans of disengagement.

With cost caps on racing teams allowing money to be spent elsewhere and demand for simplified engines from 2026, it might be worth an investment of aspiring teams to go for their own engines, more so if that teams happens to be automobile company. Upfront it might be a big deal to setup a whole new facility, but it doesn't seem like a big deal financially to run year on year operations.
Hakuna Matata!