2022 Williams Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP

Re: 2022 Williams Racing F1 Team

Brilliant news as it provides a foundation for William's return to the front.

Sevach

Mr Brooksy wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 14:27
This is some interesting news...

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/150218/d ... owner.html
I wonder what will be the Williams share situation, Porsche 50%, Dorilton some respectable amount, Toto likely already sold everything, does the Williams family retain some?
Then there's the amount they floated...

Anyway this is good news for the team.

Mr Brooksy

I'm not 100% sure but if I remember correctly Dorilton bought everything. No shares for anyone else.

So that would mean 50/50 split for Dorilton and Porsche?
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

FromGP2toWDC

Would Dorilton let Porsche run the F1 program?

Mr Brooksy

I'm not sure, but if it was too be a 50/50 owned team than I think Porsche would definitely have a say in how they run the team.

Porsche certainly know how to go racing, but I think it's telling that they aren't looking to start a brand new team on their own. F1 is simply on another level.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

Stu

Interesting combo.
Porsche normally sub-contract the race team efforts (Joest, most famously & successfully).
With it looking as though there will be two VAG brands in F1 (as PU suppliers & team owners), I wonder if they will share a common ICE & transmission, but differentiate themselves with the KERS/Battery systems - two different research streams would then be possible). They previously stated that they would not share a common PU, but as the base ICE is so proscribed by the rules, different ICE’s do not really make sense.

Furthermore it will make for an interesting dynamic across the grid, with 2x VAG powered teams, 2x Ferrari powered teams, 3x Mercedes powered teams and 1x Renault powered team.

Off topic, but I wonder whether McLaren will move back to Renault powertrains (perhaps badged as Infiniti?).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

PlatinumZealot

FromGP2toWDC wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 23:09
Would Dorilton let Porsche run the F1 program?
That would be awesome. They have been Partners before, and with the Williams family out of the picture there should be no reason to keep a controlling stake from Porsche. The only problem is Williams isn't exactly a winning team right now, and Porsche won't have the patience nor the cash to build it into one. I could see Prosche engines being used... but a Porsche car built in England is it really a Porsche?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

kptaylor

Porsche Martini Racing livery to make a comeback? Also, wasn't RBR's issue Porsche wanted 51% to be in control? (Or did RBR want 51% so Porsche wouldn't be in control?)

And isn't Dorilton an investment firm? Isn't their deal to buy, improve and resell for a profit? Selling 50-51% to Porsche would allow them to recoup a portion or all of their initial investment and reinvest elsewhere. Sounds like a deal is exactly what they'd initially planned for.

Big Tea

kptaylor wrote:
06 Nov 2022, 15:32
Porsche Martini Racing livery to make a comeback? Also, wasn't RBR's issue Porsche wanted 51% to be in control? (Or did RBR want 51% so Porsche wouldn't be in control?)

And isn't Dorilton an investment firm? Isn't their deal to buy, improve and resell for a profit? Selling 50-51% to Porsche would allow them to recoup a portion or all of their initial investment and reinvest elsewhere. Sounds like a deal is exactly what they'd initially planned for.
I would assume if this was an option Dorlington would either want to keep a controlling % or a total sell out as they will have differing targets. Porsche of course would be wanting wins, and the investment company would either a steady return on investment, or (possibly and) an increase in the value of the company.
A sucessful team will obviously be worth more, but there is always the call of' Board room says that's enough, get your gear we are off'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

FromGP2toWDC

kptaylor wrote:
I believe Porsche wanted the controlling interest in the partnership and Horner, Marko and Newey vehemently opposed that with the late RBR owner.

FromGP2toWDC

Big Tea wrote:
06 Nov 2022, 19:53
I would assume if this was an option Dorlington would either want to keep a controlling % or a total sell out as they will have differing targets. Porsche of course would be wanting wins, and the investment company would either a steady return on investment, or (possibly and) an increase in the value of the company.
A sucessful team will obviously be worth more, but there is always the call of' Board room says that's enough, get your gear we are off'
Porsche would need to set realistic targets in this instance - even achieving midfield from starting from scratch is difficult.

JordanMugen

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Nov 2022, 15:24
The only problem is Williams isn't exactly a winning team right now, and Porsche won't have the patience nor the cash to build it into one.
How so? Surely Porsche are aware that Williams are quite far behind on infrastructure and that large investments are required to make Williams (or Williams-Porsche) back into a winning Grand Prix team? :?:

The team is already staffed with many ex-VW Motorsport personnel so the Porsche influence should work nicely.

kptaylor wrote:
Martini Racing are cheap (at least in the recent decade), so this seems unlikely! They would prefer a sponsor that pays full commercial rates, one presumes, not some cut-price deal!

Big Tea wrote:
I would assume if this was an option Dorliton would either want to keep a controlling % or a total sell out as they will have differing targets.
Why should Dorilton care if Porsche only own 50% but put in more than 50% (95%) of the capital for infrastructure upgrades? That's a win-win for Dorilton, a free increase in capitalisation of Williams Racing on their part! :D

I'm sure Porsche are aware they need to open their chequebooks to turn Williams Racing back into a Grand Prix winning team, and that they are keen and willing to do so!

FromGP2toWDC

JordanMugen wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 00:07
I'm sure Porsche are aware they need to open their chequebooks to turn Williams Racing back into a Grand Prix winning team, and that they are keen and willing to do so!
Hopefully some sound upgrades on these infrastructure facilities. At least things appear to be turning around now for Williams.

Sir Frank I think can rest a little easier up there.

diffuser

kptaylor wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
Martini Racing are cheap (at least in the recent decade), so this seems unlikely! They would prefer a sponsor that pays full commercial rates, one presumes, not some cut-price deal!
Think you can Taylor the livery on how much they spend...
Big Tea wrote:
I would assume if this was an option Dorliton would either want to keep a controlling % or a total sell out as they will have differing targets.
JordanMugen wrote:
Why should Dorilton care if Porsche only own 50% but put in more than 50% (95%) of the capital for infrastructure upgrades? That's a win-win for Dorilton, a free increase in capitalisation of Williams Racing on their part! :D

Who knows what their reasons might be, they bought the team, they have every right. It is a discussion that Porsche has to have with them...no ?
JordanMugen wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Nov 2022, 15:24
The only problem is Williams isn't exactly a winning team right now, and Porsche won't have the patience nor the cash to build it into one.
JordanMugen wrote:
How so? Surely Porsche are aware that Williams are quite far behind on infrastructure and that large investments are required to make Williams (or Williams-Porsche) back into a winning Grand Prix team? :?:

The team is already staffed with many ex-VW Motorsport personnel so the Porsche influence should work nicely.
I think their biggest problems is infrastructure followed by money. They're lacking in equipment that is needed to build a proper F1 car. I don't think Dorilton are willing to spend the money fast enough, a la AMR, to be there in 3 years.

chrisc90

Any word on who is going to take the last seat?

I really hope Mick stays in F1