2022 Williams Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2022 Williams Racing F1 Team

Mr Brooksy wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 01:30
From info I've come across 3rd hand (so take it with a grain of salt)... FX wasn't finding the speed with the FW45 and Jost wasn't happy with next year's budget.

Really bad situation if this info is to be believed. This might be the absolute end.
the absolute end of what?

Mr Brooksy

diffuser wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 21:34
Mr Brooksy wrote:
From info I've come across 3rd hand (so take it with a grain of salt)... FX wasn't finding the speed with the FW45 and Jost wasn't happy with next year's budget.

Really bad situation if this info is to be believed. This might be the absolute end.
We have been draging ourselves around for much of the last 2 decades with some flashes of hope, only to crumble and fall to the back of the grid again.

I'm not sure Williams barring a miracle can come back from another devastating blow like this.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

AR3-GP

If Capito is gone, then maybe there will not be any VAG partnership after all.

diffuser

Mr Brooksy wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 23:55
diffuser wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 21:34
Mr Brooksy wrote:

We have been draging ourselves around for much of the last 2 decades with some flashes of hope, only to crumble and fall to the back of the grid again.

I'm not sure Williams barring a miracle can come back from another devastating blow like this.
The Williams Name is still worth something. Obviously, the Family is no longer there. That being said, it may disappear when they are bought by Porsche. If Porsche don't want the team to be called Williams Porsche, it will not be. They are looking to buy 50.1% or controlling interest, I don't know what that means with regards to the name. Nor do I think the banking firm cares what it's called.

continuum16

On a slightly more positive note, it looks like they’ve been able to poach a designer from Red Bull. I’d wait for further confirmation, but this would signal that it’s not quite the end of days yet.

https://www.formulapassion.it/motorspor ... 43545.html

Demaison, IIRC, didn’t have a ton of F1 experience, or at least recent F1 experience. Perhaps some of his concepts either on the technical side or personnel/org side were not compatible with the existing wider F1 structure and/or Dorilton’s goals…
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

JordanMugen

Mr Brooksy wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 23:55
No need to panic! "Back of the grid" is a broad statement, in percentage terms Williams-Mercedes are no where near as far off the pace as the likes of Minardi-Cosworth or later HRT-Cosworth (they were often 4-5 seconds off pole IIRC). Williams are already mixing it in the top 15 at times, so they don't need to find much in percentage terms to move up the grid.

Apparently Capito had some personality clashes with other members of Williams Racing: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... rs-overdue

Stu

That is an interesting read, certainly not how the media spin showed things.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

diffuser

No matter how you put lipstick on the pig, the picture is never pretty. Obviously, Josh's approach didn't work. Doesn't really matter if you blame Josh or the pig cause you're still left with a pig. In the mean time Williams keeps getting weaker as the good people flee(people resistant to change don't leave).

Alot of those quirks they mentioned about Josh sound resolvable with a conversation with Josh.

continuum16

So basically, Capito came in, tried to do things completely differently, failed to secure the existing team’s confidence, and left. Bizarre.

Seems like he wanted a complete clean break from the past, the owners wanted a transition, and the majority of staff didn’t want to change much. Good luck to the next TP!
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

ME4ME

Been wondering about this team lately. Most of the time a team always have something in the pipeline, the next big thing that will help them progress further up the grid.

Williams now has nothing going for them. I'll avoid using the word hope.. But there is no concrete evidence that they'll do any better next year.

I wonder what is next. Surely a take-over by a big enough entity is required before new talent will be attracted. Until then nothing will happen.

diffuser

ME4ME wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 20:30
Been wondering about this team lately. Most of the time a team always have something in the pipeline, the next big thing that will help them progress further up the grid.

Williams now has nothing going for them. I'll avoid using the word hope.. But there is no concrete evidence that they'll do any better next year.

I wonder what is next. Surely a take-over by a big enough entity is required before new talent will be attracted. Until then nothing will happen.
I wonder if they had some kid in the wings that was watching and learning from Capito?

Edit
Maybe Porsche has someone in mind?

Mr Brooksy

diffuser wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 12:53
I wonder if they had some kid in the wings that was watching and learning from Capito?
I'm more worried about the long silence since Capito and FX left. There's been no announcements, no news, only speculation and even that has been thin on the ground.

We really need a break soon... But we seem to keep digging the hole larger.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

McMika98

Mario Andretti should seriously take large share in Williams ala Toto wolff and run the team as the head instead of trying to get in a team in 2024. This could work out for him very well.

FromGP2toWDC

https://wae.com/wae-technologies-all-ne ... gineering/

Williams Advanced Engineering (WAE) is being re-branded as WAE Technologies Limited

WAE Technologies – formerly named Williams Advanced Engineering – has today unveiled its new corporate branding, alongside an updated logo and name. This follows the acquisition of the world-leading technology and engineering services business by Fortescue which completed in March 2022, taking the Oxfordshire-based company into a new direction.

ScottR267

Williams website has removed the below sponsors, some linked to Latifi and some Dorilton:

Sofina
Lavazza
Honibe
Virtua
Versa

What was already a very empty car sponsorship wise could look even more bare