2022 Williams Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP

Re: 2022 Williams Racing F1 Team

Wow the Latifis really took their ball and went home. I would have though Sr. Latifi had the balls to stick to his investment in F1 but I guess it really was just about buying a seat for Nicholas. Sad.

This team has no money. That's why many have fled including Capito and the snr engineers. It's starting to look a bit like the 2012-2013 Lotus days.

ScottR267

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 10:13
Wow the Latifis really took their ball and went home. I would have though Sr. Latifi had the balls to stick to his investment in F1 but I guess it really was just about buying a seat for Nicholas. Sad.

This team has no money. That's why many have fled including Capito and the snr engineers. It's starting to look a bit like the 2012-2013 Lotus days.
Then again doesn’t Latifi Sr still have an investment in McLaren or is that no longer the case? If so, you’d think he’d invest there to see a return on his investment!

I’m sure Williams will have new sponsors for the new season however doesn’t look great from the outside looking in at present

Big Tea

It would be a good time for Mercedes / Wolff to look at expanding the empire, even to just keep it as a development team with voting rights

Afterthought, team Hamilton ? Team Susi?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 17:44
It would be a good time for Mercedes / Wolff to look at expanding the empire, even to just keep it as a development team with voting rights

I haven't heard anything about this team having financial problems have you ?

They did win "Williams may have scored points rarely in 2022, but the team did enjoy a notable off-track success. Towards the end of last year the District Court of the Central District of California agreed the team’s former sponsor Rokit must pay them over £26.2 million."

https://www.racefans.net/2023/01/05/why ... 6-million/

AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 19:15
Big Tea wrote:

They did win "Williams may have scored points rarely in 2022, but the team did enjoy a notable off-track success. Towards the end of last year the District Court of the Central District of California agreed the team’s former sponsor Rokit must pay them over £26.2 million."

I wonder if that money was already spent and it's more like filling a hole now.

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

I was just 'musing' really. Nothing triggered it except that there seems to have been a somewhat of an exodus from the team and Merc have placed a driver there, why not technical 'improvers'. If say one of Hamilton's operations or an extension of W series brought in funding, it would not coat them much (comparatively) to have a 'B' team, and the way other people seem to be looking around for an entry, it could be a good time to consider it if Merc themselves were considering an engine only future.

continuum16

ScottR267 wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 09:55
Williams website has removed the below sponsors, some linked to Latifi and some Dorilton:

Sofina
Lavazza
Honibe
Virtua
Versa

What was already a very empty car sponsorship wise could look even more bare
What I never really understood was why doesn’t Dorilton put some of their portfolio companies on the car? I mean, they’re a private equity firm, why don’t they just get some “free” advertising while they wait/chase some new sponsors.

2023 is looking like an increasingly perilous prospect, though. One month and still no TP, TD, loss of major sponsors, and a lot of gains needed on the car side to turn the ship around. They need some kind of galvanizing force or person. I know Capito was supposed to be that, but they need a different one I guess…
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

ScottR267

continuum16 wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 22:28
ScottR267 wrote:
Williams website has removed the below sponsors, some linked to Latifi and some Dorilton:

Sofina
Lavazza
Honibe
Virtua
Versa

What I never really understood was why doesn’t Dorilton put some of their portfolio companies on the car? I mean, they’re a private equity firm, why don’t they just get some “free” advertising while they wait/chase some new sponsors.

2023 is looking like an increasingly perilous prospect, though. One month and still no TP, TD, loss of major sponsors, and a lot of gains needed on the car side to turn the ship around. They need some kind of galvanizing force or person. I know Capito was supposed to be that, but they need a different one I guess…
Honibe,Virtua & Versa are Dorilton portfolio business I believe

AR3-GP

ScottR267 wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 22:49
continuum16 wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 22:28
ScottR267 wrote:

Sofina
Lavazza
Honibe
Virtua
Versa

Honibe,Virtua & Versa are Dorilton portfolio business I believe
Who? It's not working.... :lol:

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 19:38
diffuser wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

I was just 'musing' really. Nothing triggered it except that there seems to have been a somewhat of an exodus from the team and Merc have placed a driver there, why not technical 'improvers'. If say one of Hamilton's operations or an extension of W series brought in funding, it would not coat them much (comparatively) to have a 'B' team, and the way other people seem to be looking around for an entry, it could be a good time to consider it if Merc themselves were considering an engine only future.
They had Porsche sniffing around. If Porsche is nolonger sniffing around it's cause Dorion doesn't want help.

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 03:06
Big Tea wrote:
diffuser wrote:

They had Porsche sniffing around. If Porsche is nolonger sniffing around it's cause Dorion doesn't want help.
Or Porsche did not like the feel? Could it be that a capital company are just holding on to an asset until it apricates enough to 'move it'?
I do not feel that way about them, but I have not dug deep.

It could of course be the other way around and Williams owners feel they would not prosper under the overview of Porsche, or they have alternate that are taking time to get into action (they need to rush if it is not going to be too late though)

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 03:15
diffuser wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 03:06
Big Tea wrote:

Or Porsche did not like the feel? Could it be that a capital company are just holding on to an asset until it apricates enough to 'move it'?
I do not feel that way about them, but I have not dug deep.

It could of course be the other way around and Williams owners feel they would not prosper under the overview of Porsche, or they have alternate that are taking time to get into action (they need to rush if it is not going to be too late though)
Well Porsche wanted a controlling percentage (50% min).

Yeah wouldn't be surprised if that's what they're doing. Not hard to win a few points a year and still turn a profit in today's F1.

JordanMugen

ScottR267 wrote:

Sofina
Lavazza
Honibe
Virtua
Versa

Those are certainly most of the brands that were on the car before. I think that leaves Bang & Olufson and Duracell and maybe some other technical sponsors I am forgetting.

Any news on Williams Racing landing replacement sponsors or a major sponsor?

For "booming" Formula One, one would've thought that landing a major sponsor(s) wouldn't be that difficult!

AR3-GP

JordanMugen wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 12:07
ScottR267 wrote:

Sofina
Lavazza
Honibe
Virtua
Versa

Those are certainly most of the brands that were on the car before. I think that leaves Bang & Olufson and Duracell and maybe some other technical sponsors I am forgetting.

Any news on Williams Racing landing replacement sponsors or a major sponsor?

For "booming" Formula One, one would've thought that landing a major sponsor(s) wouldn't be that difficult!
Any news on a team principal?? Nevermind sponsors...This is a rudderless ship.

I would anticipate a chinese takeover by Geely.

ArWo

Geely? Would that be under Lotus Cars or under Volvo or any of the other brands they own? :wtf: