2022 Williams Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NL_Fer

Re: 2022 Williams Racing F1 Team

James is probably brilliant, but don’t feel like the type that can turn this mess around. But who knows, maybe he is the new generation of TP’s with Andrea Stella.

ME4ME

This is excellent news for Williams. I've had a really negative view of the team lately but this is great. The road to improvement will be long. I still expect the on-track performance to be painfull throughout 2023, but JV seems a very highly respected humble well spoken leader to me.

I also think it's a perfect match with Williams as a team. Vowles is young, has time on his side and expectations will be low(er) than if they'd hired a more experienced Team Principle. Aside from Wolff, Horner and Seidl I also wouldn't know if I truely pick someone else for the role of TP at Williams. Vasseur, Szafnaurer (if available) are experienced but are they really better leaders and do they really have such a great track record? And would they have the patience? I think Vowles fits the role much better.

Mr Brooksy

Found very interesting comments from the last successful Williams Chief Technical Officer Pat Symonds regarding James Vowles. Plus his insight is the first I've really heard (with any authority at least) that suggests Williams isn't just the cultural slinging match many lable it to be.

https://racingnews365.com/the-key-area- ... t-williams
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

F1NAC

Found this post on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... m_post_it/

It seems that Porsche could go with Williams and maybe Gulf Oil?

Even Chris Medland quotet this guy from reddit.

diffuser

So we know that Porsche and Williams have spoken. If they are still negotiating, have come to an agreement or fallen out, who knows. We don't need a very obscure instagram posts to know that Porsche want in and there are very few doors left that aren't filled. We also know from fairly receint events that these things can get to very late stages in negotiations and still fail to come to an agreement. So until we see an announcement, it's just noise.

organic

Tobi Gruner has somewhat rubbished the rumour of a big Porsche-Williams partnership. Probably something small like a short film, unless he has been misled

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/99566 ... eculation/
Williams has denied speculation the team was set to partner with Porsche following a cryptic social media post from the German manufacturer.

Algatros70

It's nothing special, they only put everything up from now on one Instagram page (porsche.motorsport).

Big Tea

I would like to think the poster name would make people suspicious even if there was some content in the post
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

OOoooof, another month of almost nothing to talk about in F1. People latch on to the smallest things these days.

MIKEY_!

I think Vowles is a good fit, for all the reasons people have already listed here.

I'm worried for him though. With Lowe and Capito (+ FX) Williams has shown a pattern of bringing in a new boss hoping it'll solve their existing problems, then heaping all the blame on that boss and sacking them when things don't go well. It looks like a blame culture... and it's always easy to blame an "outsider".

Or maybe Williams is just bad at hiring bosses. All speculation on my part.

organic

MIKEY_! wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 08:08
I think Vowles is a good fit, for all the reasons people have already listed here.

I'm worried for him though. With Lowe and Capito (+ FX) Williams has shown a pattern of bringing in a new boss hoping it'll solve their existing problems, then heaping all the blame on that boss and sacking them when things don't go well. It looks like a blame culture... and it's always easy to blame an "outsider".

Or maybe Williams is just bad at hiring bosses. All speculation on my part.
Weeell the Capito as principle always seemed transitional and unplanned. They offered Claire Williams the team principal role, then got Simon Roberts in when Claire turned them down. Roberts then left in mid-2021 and they were scrambling really. Like they originally wanted with Claire, they turned to a team principal with knowledge of the inner workings of the team already through having been CEO during 2020, to do the job whilst the ownership changed hands and new upper management could effect their short-term changes whilst they worked on securing longer-term deals. Given that Capito was originally CEO and only took on the role of principal because their acting principal Roberts left, it makes sense to replace him long term if that's not what his skillset is suited to. From the outside, it seems Williams are in a much more secure place now than even 1 year ago, and they can now think about building for the future. Vowles seems like a good step in the right direction in that regard as he is able to motivate those around him, is already highly familiar with the technical side of the sport and comes with the added bonus of recent, intimate knowledge of how a top team on the grid functions

I suppose much of the latter positive attributes of Vowles would have also applied to Lowe when he was signed, and perhaps this is another trip down that lane... But surely Williams can't be so unlucky twice, right?!

organic

https://racingnews365.com/red-bull-myst ... w-2023-car
Williams
Recent news from the UK’s Companies House registry that Williams allotted £36m in shares to cover a cash injection has brought the finances of the team - controlled by the US-based Dorilton Capital investment fund - into focus. Latest (end-2021) filings show Williams Grand Prix Engineering Ltd posted a loss of £11,9m loss on a total turnover of £95m (approximately $115m) for the financial year, its first under Dorilton.

This is well under the $145m budget cap that prevailed at the time, which, crucially, excluded costs such as marketing/travel/hospitality expenses and driver/top three staff salaries. On that basis, Williams spent well under half that of Mercedes and Red Bull, and indicates why outgoing team boss Jost Capito made little progress.
Williams are still spending well under the budget cap according to this info

AR3-GP

They have no money. Reports at the end of last season suggested that Capito and other leaders were becoming distressed by the lack of investment in the team and Williams lost some good people due to this.

Big Tea

organic wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 20:27
https://racingnews365.com/red-bull-myst ... w-2023-car
Williams
Recent news from the UK’s Companies House registry that Williams allotted £36m in shares to cover a cash injection has brought the finances of the team - controlled by the US-based Dorilton Capital investment fund - into focus. Latest (end-2021) filings show Williams Grand Prix Engineering Ltd posted a loss of £11,9m loss on a total turnover of £95m (approximately $115m) for the financial year, its first under Dorilton.

This is well under the $145m budget cap that prevailed at the time, which, crucially, excluded costs such as marketing/travel/hospitality expenses and driver/top three staff salaries. On that basis, Williams spent well under half that of Mercedes and Red Bull, and indicates why outgoing team boss Jost Capito made little progress.
Williams are still spending well under the budget cap according to this info
They do not have to spend it before the season start, there may be 'future plans' for it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!