2022 Haas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
kptaylor

Re: 2022 Haas F1 Team

Haas the new home for Alfa Romeo? Maserati? FIAT?

organic

kptaylor wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 16:06
Haas the new home for Alfa Romeo? Maserati? FIAT?
Most likely an American company

diffuser

Zynerji wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 15:09
Honda looked bad because McLaren (Boulier) wouldn't let them fix issues (see how good it immediately became in 2019 with STR).

Just "not going bankrupt" is a terrible positive statement. Its a minimum requirement. After 6 years in the sport, ANY sport, with such awful outcomes, the Coach needs to be replaced.
That isn't true about Boulier. Don't trust me, go read what his job was at McLaren or keep believing your lies, I don't care either way.

It was true that McLaren made some demands. Like the size of the PU and when Honda had to start. It's STILL Honda's fault. They should have walked away. All those demands came before they even started and Honda accepted them. A company the size of Honda, spending it's advertising budget to raise Honda awareness in a positive light, should never have signed over that ability to McLaren. Add to that, the kind of money they were paying, it is absolutely crazy.

Honda have no one else to blame for that debacle but themselves.

The strangest thing was that when McLaren was trying to get rid of them, they didn't even want to leave. They almost got pushed out kicking and screaming. They couldn't even see that the STR/RBR deal was cheaper and better for them than the McLaren one. Not sure who was responsible for negotiations from the Honda side, but he/she had no clue about F1.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

organic

Wouter wrote:
20 Oct 2022, 15:23
Apparently with this they'll be able to operate fully at the budget cap from now on

Zynerji

organic wrote:
20 Oct 2022, 15:31
Wouter wrote:
Apparently with this they'll be able to operate fully at the budget cap from now on
Why does that matter? They can't even maximize what they have now...🙄

organic

team becoming American again...

continuum16

Zynerji wrote:
20 Oct 2022, 17:28
organic wrote:
Wouter wrote:
It matters because instead of finishing ninth with a car that could have been seventh, they can finish seventh with a car that could have been fifth. 🥲
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Zynerji

continuum16 wrote:
21 Oct 2022, 04:31
Zynerji wrote:
organic wrote:

It matters because instead of finishing ninth with a car that could have been seventh, they can finish seventh with a car that could have been fifth. 🥲
So True!!

#FireGuntherTheAntiLeader

Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
21 Oct 2022, 04:37
continuum16 wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

So True!!

HAAS' businessmodel isn't winning races.. it's making money while racing. If you buy parts from others instead of trying to innovate and make something better, you'll never beat them.

Jolle

by the way... did anyone (with HAAS history in sponsors) also read "MoneyTron" instead of "MoneyGram"? :P

diffuser

Jolle wrote:
21 Oct 2022, 22:17
Zynerji wrote:
21 Oct 2022, 04:37
continuum16 wrote:

So True!!

HAAS' businessmodel isn't winning races.. it's making money while racing. If you buy parts from others instead of trying to innovate and make something better, you'll never beat them.
Pretty sure Haas looses alot of money. Now whether the money he looses is a good price for the advertising he gets out of it is another story.

On Netflix he came out and said that he doesn't want to put more money in than he already is. I don't see a future for this team. I mean, they'll continue to survive but unless Haas gets a big influx of advertising money, I don't see how they don't stay perpetually bottom feeders.
Last edited by diffuser on 22 Oct 2022, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

JordanMugen

Jolle wrote:
21 Oct 2022, 22:17
If you buy parts from others instead of trying to innovate and make something better, you'll never beat them.
Williams switching to the Mercedes gearbox was seen as a positive move by most - even though Williams exists to win races. They were the only ones still using an aluminium case IIRC. Minardi similarly moved much, much further up the grid once they started using Red Bull parts instead of trying to make their own (or even maintain their own Cosworth engines at times).

I think using Ferrari design and Dallara manufacture is the least of HAAS' problems. In all likelihood the design office with ex-Ferrari staff (and using Ferrari simulator and wind tunnel) is much better than what HAAS could do themselves.

If Dallara causes delays, perhaps HAAS could look into setting up their own manufacturing shop, they have no shortage of CNC machines!, but they obviously need to buy autoclaves etc. AFAIK HAAS have never had any issues with the quality of parts made by Dallara.

If I must offer a suggestion, it seems bizarre that the race team is based in England (IIRC) and not in Maranello, Italy. I would move the race team headquarter to Italy to be closer to Ferrari (but HAAS may be loyal to the British staff they are already have on their race teams, even if they do not enjoy most of the benefits of being located amongst the garagiste F1 industry, since they don't design their cars in England and largely do not use the English base of F1 engineers).

diffuser wrote:
22 Oct 2022, 04:28
I don't see how they don't stay perpetually bottom feeders.
They are nowhere near as far off the pace as the likes of Paul Stoddart's Minardi. Those cars were often 5s/lap off pole, while HAAS is rarely that slow and often qualifies inside the top 15 or sometimes even top 10!

It's all very well to say you should do everything in house as that is the best way to win races, but it doesn't seem realistic. It doesn't take much to go from winning races to bankruptcy as Lotus and Brabham show. So perhaps better, at times, to steady the ship Sauber-style and make more realistic objectives.

Why do Sauber escape criticism when the car they design and build themselves (noting that a lot of the big engineering offices BMW financed were located elsewhere and Sauber don't have them anymore) is really not all that much faster than HAAS' Ferrari-designed, Dallara-built car?! :wtf:

diffuser

Cause we're in the Haas team thread and they were looking like they were going to get bought out by Audi.

ME4ME

Jolle wrote:
21 Oct 2022, 22:21
by the way... did anyone (with HAAS history in sponsors) also read "MoneyTron" instead of "MoneyGram"? :P
I read MoneyGrap the first time a saw the headline :lol: