2022 FIM MotoGP

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Re: 2022 FIM MotoGP

johnny comelately wrote:
28 May 2022, 15:06
Have a go at Marc Marquez's crash in Q2
Highside, tore the forks off and caught on fire!
Any explanation about the crash? It was quite weird at the out lap

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Andres125sx wrote:
29 May 2022, 12:01
johnny comelately wrote:
28 May 2022, 15:06
Have a go at Marc Marquez's crash in Q2
Highside, tore the forks off and caught on fire!
Any explanation about the crash? It was quite weird at the out lap
All I saw is that when they all went out Marc overtook everyone on a damp track.
The impression I got is too much throttle.
All the settings probably werent in the ballpark for the conditions so throttle position was what you got, too much.
I think fork oil hit the exhausts for the fire.

Shrieker

363.6 :wtf:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Shrieker wrote:
29 May 2022, 14:13
Jorge Martin?

Shrieker

johnny comelately wrote:
29 May 2022, 14:51
Shrieker wrote:
Jorge Martin?
Yep. It's crazy. Over a hundred meters per second basically.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

etusch

Shrieker wrote:
29 May 2022, 15:09
johnny comelately wrote:
29 May 2022, 14:51
Shrieker wrote:
Jorge Martin?
Yep. It's crazy. Over a hundred meters per second basically.
Thats increadible.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

For comparison purposes only

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

https://web.archive.org/web/20101221015 ... rs1996.htm
A 1996 interview with one of THE people that shaped MotoGP, Kel Carruthers a very successful racer in his own right but equally effective as mechanic (now called crew chiefs and technicians and engineers) to, for example, world champion Kenny Roberts, in effect teaching the Japanese engineers about chassis's and engine tuning.
What I found interesting was Kel's comment about the nature of the short modern tracks that have a lot of acceleration corners compared to the very long road based tracks of old that were fast and flowing.
Mugello is probably closest to that in this "modern" era.

AMG.Tzan

Marc Marquez again in the hospital for a 4th surgery on his right arm!

I thought after taking 3 wins plus some podiums in 2021 that everything was alright with his arm and by 2022 with the new and potentially faster and easier to ride bike, he would be in a much better physical condition and he will be able to win like in the past!

But apparently his arm is nowhere near 100% and can't ride as he wants to and with a bike that doesn't suit his riding style the problem got even worse...yet he still managed some decent results! America could have easily been a win!

After 2 difficult years I tend to think of Mick Doohan and how he came back and won 5 in a row! Marc is still the best out there so under better conditions (physical and better bike) he can still win a championship! But after hearing about a 4th surgery I'm not so convinced he can come back and win again...

Anyway, hopefully this is the last time he has to get in a hospital and from 2023 onwards he's back in his prime...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Mr. Crafar rides Loris Capirossi's Aprilia RS-GP
Riding the Aprilia RS-GP | Tech Talk with Simon Crafar (YouTube)

Cuky

Fabio Quartararo and Yamaha have announced the extension of their contract until the end of 2024
https://www.yamahamotogp.com/news/02-06 ... -2023-2024

cheeRS
cheeRS

AMG.Tzan wrote:
30 May 2022, 14:18

I thought after taking 3 wins plus some podiums in 2021 that everything was alright with his arm and by 2022 with the new and potentially faster and easier to ride bike, he would be in a much better physical condition and he will be able to win like in the past!

But apparently his arm is nowhere near 100% and can't ride as he wants to and with a bike that doesn't suit his riding style the problem got even worse...yet he still managed some decent results! America could have easily been a win!

After 2 difficult years I tend to think of Mick Doohan and how he came back and won 5 in a row! Marc is still the best out there so under better conditions (physical and better bike) he can still win a championship! But after hearing about a 4th surgery I'm not so convinced he can come back and win again...

Anyway, hopefully this is the last time he has to get in a hospital and from 2023 onwards he's back in his prime...
I agree with all of that. But, I do think he can come back and win. I did some research just to understand what this 4th surgery is supposed to fix. It's a surgery that's typically done on children with an arm deformity/defect that severely limits the mobility of the arm. For instance, they might not be able to touch their nose or feed themselves with a spoon, and cannot fully straighten the affected arm.

The previous 3 surgeries for Marc have been focused on fixing and or stabilizing the damage in 2020 when he badly broke his arm. To have a break like that, then have the titanium plate put in, then have THAT break, and then have to go BACK in and fix the plate..... it's incredible he didn't loose the arm altogether. After the bone infection, I read that he could have.

Anyhow, from what I've read/heard, Marc can't really ride the bike like he wants and needs to. According to him, he's damaging his shoulder. IMO this is causing more crashes than normal for him (haha).

All this is to say that if the surgery goes well - which I think it will, due to the quality of the Doctor at the Mayo Clinic - he will be back to pre-2020 form.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

AMG.Tzan

cheeRS wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 17:27
AMG.Tzan wrote:

I agree with all of that. But, I do think he can come back and win. I did some research just to understand what this 4th surgery is supposed to fix. It's a surgery that's typically done on children with an arm deformity/defect that severely limits the mobility of the arm. For instance, they might not be able to touch their nose or feed themselves with a spoon, and cannot fully straighten the affected arm.

The previous 3 surgeries for Marc have been focused on fixing and or stabilizing the damage in 2020 when he badly broke his arm. To have a break like that, then have the titanium plate put in, then have THAT break, and then have to go BACK in and fix the plate..... it's incredible he didn't loose the arm altogether. After the bone infection, I read that he could have.

Anyhow, from what I've read/heard, Marc can't really ride the bike like he wants and needs to. According to him, he's damaging his shoulder. IMO this is causing more crashes than normal for him (haha).

All this is to say that if the surgery goes well - which I think it will, due to the quality of the Doctor at the Mayo Clinic - he will be back to pre-2020 form.
I also wanted to learn what this surgery will fix! Hopefully everything goes alright and he goes back to his absolute best!

Though one thing that's really strange to me is his 2021 form compared to 2022! I know that the new bike is the biggest difference between 2021 and 2022 but still in 2021 he seemed to cope better throughout a weekend and he even got 3 wins!

The only thing worrying me in terms of his competition if the surgery goes according to plan, is if Acosta steps up to MotoGP and he's the new Marc Marquez let's say :lol:

I think Marc can easily beat Quatararo, Bagnaia and the rest of the field throughout a season because he's way too consistent for these guys to keep up...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

cheeRS
cheeRS

AMG.Tzan wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 19:47
cheeRS wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 17:27
AMG.Tzan wrote:

I also wanted to learn what this surgery will fix! Hopefully everything goes alright and he goes back to his absolute best!

Though one thing that's really strange to me is his 2021 form compared to 2022! I know that the new bike is the biggest difference between 2021 and 2022 but still in 2021 he seemed to cope better throughout a weekend and he even got 3 wins!

The only thing worrying me in terms of his competition if the surgery goes according to plan, is if Acosta steps up to MotoGP and he's the new Marc Marquez let's say :lol:

I think Marc can easily beat Quatararo, Bagnaia and the rest of the field throughout a season because he's way too consistent for these guys to keep up...
Agreed. MM93 was basically untouchable. I will say that the current grid is much more competitive. Or, should I say, the Ducatis are much more competitive.

How good is Acosta? I wasn't keeping up with Moto 2/3 very much.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

Cuky

Acosta is good, but I fear KTM will destroy him from the fear of loosing him to another manufacturer. He was brilliant in the first part of last years Moto3 season, but through the summer pressure really started getting to him and for a bit I even thought he'll manage to loose the championship.

This year in Moto2 he had a great winter and there was a lot of talk about him doing what he did in Moto3 at the start of the season. But I think pressure got to him as he made a lot of mistakes crashed out of lead or podium etc. Now that he finally won a Moto2 race things may get better. I just hooe KTM won't hurry hom up into MotoGP too soon