2022 FIM MotoGP

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
etusch

Re: 2022 FIM MotoGP

I think he is just taking it easy trying make race laps. Still very good result. He showed that he can be faster sometimes.( you can say he rest his arm then push then rest)
by the way other Marquez was also good until a point then he drop a few position down.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

To those of rules based thinking.

Post race Thailand.

"Asked who makes the call on tyre pressures, Crutchlow replied: “The wrong person. They should let the riders fix it! I know what I used to run. And I know what I run now…”

The only time Quartararo has finished lower than 17th since joining the MotoGP class was 18th place at the (dry) 2020 Aragon round.

The cause on that occasion? High front-tyre pressure."

"Yamaha test rider Crutchlow was sure that high front-tyre pressure was to blame for both his and Quartararo’s Buriram woes.

“I expected a lot more but as you can see today it wasn’t Yamaha’s day. We couldn’t lean the bike, couldn’t go around the corner. Too much heat in the front tyre, too much pressure in the front tyre," said the Englishman, who eventually finished 19th.

“The tyre pressure was just so high - already on the first lap of the race.

“I was in a group with Fabio. Fabio couldn't turn the bike, couldn't lean the bike over, the front wheel was not following the corner. I had exactly the same feeling.

“I had a high pressure the whole race. Way, way too high and we would have been and should have been better than 19th today. I knew already in the warm-up lap that this bike was not going to be great.

“I had to push a lot with the rear because the front was so high pressure and so hot that I couldn’t ride with the front wheel, so I had to ride with the rear."

Cuky

My feeling is that he was talking about someone from the team who made a wrong decision on tire pressures for wet tires. As Yamaha was the only one that had that problem. It was obvious, especially into T4 on the first lap, that Quartararo just couldn't turn the bike. But others didn't seem to have that problem

Cuky

Factory Ducati team is trying to censor what they consider to be bad press

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... s%EF%BF%BC

Cuky

The guy who was seen kicking Tom Booth-Amos in 2019 has had his contract with current team terminated

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/ ... ult-furore

etusch

This is Tetsuta Nagashima’s HRC machine from the Japanese Grand Prix. There’s a cool detail here that we love and it’s that extra bit of metal that sits just behind the rear brake lever. There’s an extra piece of metal attached to the arm of the rear brake lever, this extra piece of metal is only there to be useful when the rider is leant over at high lean angles to the left and the rear brake lever is a bit of a stretch to reach. With this extra piece of meta bolted onto the arm, Tetsuta doesn’t have to stretch as far to be able to reach it
If you’re more on the keen side of what tech can be seen on the bikes, you’ll probably have noticed this little electronic exhaust valve before. This one is seen here on one of the Pramac Racing Ducatis, but they can also be seen on the Aprilias too

The purpose of the electronic exhaust valve is to manipulate the flow of exhaust gases at certain points either to help increase the bike’s braking performance or to help the rider use the power of the engine better and to greater effect. They’re a clever little device but they are something that’s been around for quite some time. If you look back to images of bikes in the CRT era, many of them featured exhaust valves as they had to use every trick in the book to make up for their natural power deficit

There are two things here that we wanted point out. The first is the change to the chassis that Marc has used since Japan onwards. He’s actually gone back to the standard 2022 chassis. The way we can tell is by the bolt of the swingarm pivot. Here we can see the chassis version that uses the big round nut, but previously Marc had used a version that doesn’t have this big round nut and just sits flush with the frame

The other thing here is the torque sensor that sits on top of the front sprocket. The torque sensor measures the turning force coming from the engine. As we understand, engineers can use the data gathered to pain tof picture of just how much torque their engine creates and how it relates to the other actions they see happening on the bike at that time; spinning, sliding, and the general feedback from the rider. It’s a useful tool to making turning the mountain of power that GP bikes have into something that’s rideable and useful to the rider

This is the left handlebar of Joan Mir’s Suzuki, that was actually being leant to Danilo Petrucci at the time of this photo

You can see here the buttons that Joan has at his disposal. It’s likely these buttons are for engine brake, power mapping and traction control. You can also then see the two thumb levers Joan has. One is for the rear rideheight device and the other is for one of his holeshot devices

Qouted from MotoGPTech facebook group.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Thanks Etusch, good photos.
The swingarm nut would also change between carbon fibre or aluminium swing arms

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

R.I.P. Phil Read
‘It is with incredible sadness that the Read family reports the passing of Phil Read MBE while peacefully asleep on the morning of October 6th, 2022, at his home in Canterbury, England.

‘Phil is best known for winning Yamaha’s first world championship title in 1964 with four more Yamaha-mounted titles including one fought as a privateer, plus two premier class 500cc world championships in 1973 and 1974 for the Italian MV Agusta marque.

‘Often a controversial and outspoken figure, his prolific racing career included 52 FIM Grand Prix wins and eight wins at the iconic Isle of Man TT Races. In 2002 he was granted the status of “MotoGP Legend" by Dorna.

‘Phil is survived by his sons Michael, Graham, Phil Jr, Roki and daughter Esme’.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/10138 ... n-has-died

Andres125sx

etusch wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 08:38
https://i.ibb.co/YcHV0q9/brake.jpg
This is Tetsuta Nagashima’s HRC machine from the Japanese Grand Prix. There’s a cool detail here that we love and it’s that extra bit of metal that sits just behind the rear brake lever. There’s an extra piece of metal attached to the arm of the rear brake lever, this extra piece of metal is only there to be useful when the rider is leant over at high lean angles to the left and the rear brake lever is a bit of a stretch to reach. With this extra piece of meta bolted onto the arm, Tetsuta doesn’t have to stretch as far to be able to reach it
https://i.ibb.co/2qh6rxG/engine-brake.jpg
If you’re more on the keen side of what tech can be seen on the bikes, you’ll probably have noticed this little electronic exhaust valve before. This one is seen here on one of the Pramac Racing Ducatis, but they can also be seen on the Aprilias too

The purpose of the electronic exhaust valve is to manipulate the flow of exhaust gases at certain points either to help increase the bike’s braking performance or to help the rider use the power of the engine better and to greater effect. They’re a clever little device but they are something that’s been around for quite some time. If you look back to images of bikes in the CRT era, many of them featured exhaust valves as they had to use every trick in the book to make up for their natural power deficit

https://i.ibb.co/ZN6cZG4/310689854-1016 ... 6055-n.jpg
There are two things here that we wanted point out. The first is the change to the chassis that Marc has used since Japan onwards. He’s actually gone back to the standard 2022 chassis. The way we can tell is by the bolt of the swingarm pivot. Here we can see the chassis version that uses the big round nut, but previously Marc had used a version that doesn’t have this big round nut and just sits flush with the frame

The other thing here is the torque sensor that sits on top of the front sprocket. The torque sensor measures the turning force coming from the engine. As we understand, engineers can use the data gathered to pain tof picture of just how much torque their engine creates and how it relates to the other actions they see happening on the bike at that time; spinning, sliding, and the general feedback from the rider. It’s a useful tool to making turning the mountain of power that GP bikes have into something that’s rideable and useful to the rider

https://i.ibb.co/bbsVZt6/311049162-1016 ... 9038-n.jpg

This is the left handlebar of Joan Mir’s Suzuki, that was actually being leant to Danilo Petrucci at the time of this photo

You can see here the buttons that Joan has at his disposal. It’s likely these buttons are for engine brake, power mapping and traction control. You can also then see the two thumb levers Joan has. One is for the rear rideheight device and the other is for one of his holeshot devices

Qouted from MotoGPTech facebook group.
Great post, interesting gadgets =D>

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

that one highside...
"Marc Marquez' nightmare - two years that almost ended his career"

Cuky

Dorna and FIM are thinking about changing Moto3 formula to larger engines which would make it easier for larger riders to compete. Change, if they decide on it, would make it to the track for 2027 season and would be a parallel twin of either 400 or 500 cc

Cuky

Cuky wrote:
03 Oct 2022, 17:09
My feeling is that he was talking about someone from the team who made a wrong decision on tire pressures for wet tires. As Yamaha was the only one that had that problem. It was obvious, especially into T4 on the first lap, that Quartararo just couldn't turn the bike. But others didn't seem to have that problem
And my feeling came out to be correct. Diego Gubellini, Quartararo's crew chief, has stated that he made a mistake with tire pressures in Thailand.
https://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2022/1 ... ake/440138

etusch

It is very interesting to see same thing designed differently compared to honda one

Phillip Island is a real leveller. We so often see a wide array of bikes getting involved at the front and that’s largely because of the nature of the track. With it being much more about flow and corner speed rather than outright horsepower and acceleration, it’s very common for the bikes with less horsepower than others to not struggle so much as they do at other tracks

The likes of Yamaha and Suzuki should be quite pleased by that as they’ll be able to use their natural turning and corner speed from their inline 4s to their advantage. However, with the V4s advancing so much over the years since 2019, it’s extremely likely that the game could have moved on and again we’ll see the Ducatis and Aprilias be the ones setting the pace out front. But there is another factor in Phillip Island and that’s the ability of just being able to drag it round and do the job regardless of the things that are holding you back

It's a track that rewards bravery and so often here we see that riders can overcome the downfalls of their machine if they’re able to grab it by the horns and force it to fit. When you think of that style you think of the likes of Marc Marquez and Brad Binder, both of which are on bikes that do have some big drawbacks in 2022. Don’t be surprised if those find themselves fighting for the podium or even victory.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

FP1 Australian MotoGP
FP2 will be different, the Hondas were both quick and stable! Marc Marquez and Fabio Quatararo were the ones pushing the hardest with the Yamaha looking very unsettled, that will be fixed.
Marc was quickest until he rode the second bike at the end of the session with all the aero paraphernalia on it and was about half a second slower. Marc was the only quick rider having unsettling trouble with the narrow stream running across the track at Siberia leading me to believe he was running less traction control or a narrower rim...or both.
Miller did his time easy.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

FP2