2022 FIM MotoGP

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
etusch

Re: 2022 FIM MotoGP

Nonserviam85

It is sad to see MM suffering from all these accidents, it could have been great for the championship to have MM in the mix. The main issue is his riding style, always relying on extreme reflexes and movement on the bike to get the most speed out of the bike even if it is not competitive. This works well when you are young but can cause problems the older you get as the reflexes get slower and stamina wanes.

Funny enough a MotoGP legend told me many years ago that MM career wont be very long because of his extreme riding style...

johnny comelately

What if he was riding, say, a Yamaha?
My thoughts are that he may not have had these serious accidents.

rscsr

johnny comelately wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 12:30
there are still massive crashes on other bikes. And neither Alex Marquez nor Taka Nakagami had very bad crashes. It might just be that the Honda was/is subpar and the quick riders just rode that bike on the edge more often.

etusch

johnny comelately wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 12:30
What is the base of this idea? First race of the season Yamaha's were not good. If I don't remember wrong, Quartararo only could get p7 and this position is only after many retirements at front. His(20) Q position was worse. When I compare Yamaha in that race, with Honda in second race, when I think what mm would try with Yamaha at that race if MM were Yamaha rider...
Some can say that Yamaha bike will tolerate more what Marquez demanded from bike. But the problem is right there. If Yamaha's limit is higher, that limit is what Marquez will try to go beyond... It is all about knowing limit of bike and staying in the limit. This is not one race he will lose or win. So if your bike is not working in every condition and tracks, sometimes it is about winning, sometimes it is about scoring and sometime just finishing or just staying healthy

Andres125sx

Of course, but to evaluate that you first need to know where the limit is, wich is what he was doing in practice. That´s the point of practice sesions, isn´t it?

Consequences of crashes means nothing. Same mistake can be very serious or not depending on factors riders can´t control. This crash from Marquez could have been trivial if the rear wheel do not bit the tarmac again and he just slide on the tarmac for example

He was unlucky. Obviously he´s one of those who take risks on any corner while some others will be more conservative and leave some safe margin on some corners, but we can´t (shouln´t) blame a rider because of testing the limits, that´s what they´re paid for. I will not blame those who are more conservatives either, as it´s a very dangerous sport, but will not blame those who assume risks anywhere either. Actually I´ll applaud them =D>

etusch

Andres125sx wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 15:40
Of course, but to evaluate that you first need to know where the limit is, wich is what he was doing in practice. That´s the point of practice sesions, isn´t it?

Consequences of crashes means nothing. Same mistake can be very serious or not depending on factors riders can´t control. This crash from Marquez could have been trivial if the rear wheel do not bit the tarmac again and he just slide on the tarmac for example

He was unlucky. Obviously he´s one of those who take risks on any corner while some others will be more conservative and leave some safe margin on some corners, but we can´t (shouln´t) blame a rider because of testing the limits, that´s what they´re paid for. I will not blame those who are more conservatives either, as it´s a very dangerous sport, but will not blame those who assume risks anywhere either. Actually I´ll applaud them =D>
This is a forced comment I think. Because you also know what I will say now.

Yes he should learn limits and he may crash while learning. If you close the limit step by step, then when you crash, it will not be that big probably. But in this case he leant the limit, the team understand that the tyres michelin brought the race spoilt honda's rear stability which was honda's main focus when they developing this bike. So tyre completely destroy bike's speed by lack of rear grip with honda ( and with suzuki ). It is obvious that this was one race speed deficit. He could accept this and can focus on next one which is now we don't know if he can race or not.
I count 3 important things MM knew but acted like he didn't know. Limit ( he learnt but tried to go beyond anyway), bike's character lost with the tyres, Bike is fast enough to fight whole season except this one. He and his team was aware of this and MM act like he didn't know.

Andres125sx

etusch wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 08:36
Andres125sx wrote:

Yes he should learn limits and he may crash while learning. If you close the limit step by step, then when you crash, it will not be that big probably. But in this case he leant the limit, the team understand that the tyres michelin brought the race spoilt honda's rear stability which was honda's main focus when they developing this bike. So tyre completely destroy bike's speed by lack of rear grip with honda ( and with suzuki ). It is obvious that this was one race speed deficit. He could accept this and can focus on next one which is now we don't know if he can race or not.
I count 3 important things MM knew but acted like he didn't know. Limit ( he learnt but tried to go beyond anyway), bike's character lost with the tyres, Bike is fast enough to fight whole season except this one. He and his team was aware of this and MM act like he didn't know.
Sorry but what an absurd comment... you think there's a red light in the bike flashing when the bike is on the limit?

That would be the only way to avoid a crash. You can't know beforehand what's the angle limit on each corner, you need to learn it, and that does imply assuming a risk. Learning where's the limit means sometimes a small slide and a scare that people don't even notice, sometimes a crash with no consequences, sometimes a huge crash and an injury

Racing would be easy and boring if anyone can predict where the limit is to avoid crashing... :roll:

xaero

Whatever happened was really unfortunate for Marc. I have faith that he will come back stronger soon [-o<
We need a miracle. We need only one racing lap.

AMG.Tzan

Andres125sx wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 10:26
etusch wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Sorry but what an absurd comment... you think there's a red light in the bike flashing when the bike is on the limit?

That would be the only way to avoid a crash. You can't know beforehand what's the angle limit on each corner, you need to learn it, and that does imply assuming a risk. Learning where's the limit means sometimes a small slide and a scare that people don't even notice, sometimes a crash with no consequences, sometimes a huge crash and an injury

Racing would be easy and boring if anyone can predict where the limit is to avoid crashing... :roll:
So true!!

People cannot understand how racing goes nor can they understand the way Marc Marquez has become one of the greatest ever! They are just trying to find a way to say that it was his mistake alone that sent him airborne...

I know it will sound extravagant to Rossi fans but Marc has never lost throughout a season to anyone, only to himself! Even in 2015 he only lost because he crashed out trying too hard and not because the others beat him on track...unlike Rossi, Stoner, Lorenzo and Hayden who all lost to each other fair and square!

People don't give him enough credit for his achievements I think and that has to do with the way Rossi portrayed him as a "villain" to his fans back in 2015! This man should go down in history as one of the greatest ever "athletes" and not just "riders"!!

P.S. Marc, apart from 2019, never had the greatest or easiest bike which made crashing a usual thing for him! Just remember that the 2019 Honda (which was one of the greatest ever) ended Lorenzo's career...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

xaero

AMG.Tzan wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 13:58
Andres125sx wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 10:26
etusch wrote:

So true!!

People cannot understand how racing goes nor can they understand the way Marc Marquez has become one of the greatest ever! They are just trying to find a way to say that it was his mistake alone that sent him airborne...

I know it will sound extravagant to Rossi fans but Marc has never lost throughout a season to anyone, only to himself! Even in 2015 he only lost because he crashed out trying too hard and not because the others beat him on track...unlike Rossi, Stoner, Lorenzo and Hayden who all lost to each other fair and square!

People don't give him enough credit for his achievements I think and that has to do with the way Rossi portrayed him as a "villain" to his fans back in 2015! This man should go down in history as one of the greatest ever "athletes" and not just "riders"!!

P.S. Marc, apart from 2019, never had the greatest or easiest bike which made crashing a usual thing for him! Just remember that the 2019 Honda (which was one of the greatest ever) ended Lorenzo's career...
+1. When he will be finished with motogp (even now), he will definitely be remembered as one the greatest ever.
We need a miracle. We need only one racing lap.

etusch

in the same time in real world
Marquez to miss Argentina MotoGP round after Mandalika crash
Honda has announced Marc Marquez will sit out this weekend’s MotoGP Argentine Grand Prix following the shocking accident in Indonesia that left him with vision problems.
However, Marquez said on his social media channels last week that the issue was not as bad as before and he has made good progress since.

Despite this, Marquez will sit out MotoGP’s return to Argentina this weekend and will likely be absent from the following Americas GP – which he won last year.
Marquez’s Indonesia accident capped off a miserable weekend for Honda, in which a change in tyre carcass to a design not used since 2018 caused the marque’s riders extreme rear grip problems.

Michelin elected to bring the stiffer construction rear after the standard 2022 tyres blistered during February’s pre-season test in Indonesia.

Honda has not outright blamed Michelin for Marquez’s crash, but team boss Alberto Puig said it had to work with the tyre manufacturer to understand what went wrong after HRC topped the Indonesia test on the standard 2022 rubber.
https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/ ... h/9422528/

etusch

Puig hits back at Michelin MotoGP chief over Indonesia tyre comments
Honda MotoGP boss Alberto Puig has hit back at comments made by Michelin surrounding the tyre problems it suffered in last weekend’s Indonesian Grand Prix.

"In my last Track Report, I only mentioned that we would have to analyse the situation with Michelin – that's all.

"And we see how Mr Taramasso reacted when prompted by the media - it was not necessary at all...

"It's a bit strange when he says, in a polite way of course, that Honda doesn't know how to adapt.

"Honda has been adapting to many technical changes, including different regulations, tyres, engine sizes, classes, etc. etc. since the beginning of the world championship series back in 1966 and it has been the longest lasting and most successful company in GP history with 25 premier class constructor championships and 21 premier class rider world championships.

"Does this mean we don't know how to adapt? OK, it's the first I'm hearing this."

Michelin says its findings on the tyres were based on its own data analysis, but Puig believes in instances like this rider opinion means more than "a line on a computer", while noting that Taramasso "has a mentality" to "not admit any error".

"From my own experience in racing, you have to talk to the riders first – not to Apple, IBM or Dell where you see a line on a computer," he added.

"You must listen to the riders and if you have riders that have been world champions, multiple times, you can assume that these riders are guys who know what they are talking about.

"In this paddock, manufacturers talk to manufacturers, riders talk to the organiser, IRTA (International Race Teams Association) talks to the teams and many times we disagree on many subjects.

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/ ... s/9399497/

AMG.Tzan

etusch wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 12:54
in the same time in real world
Marquez to miss Argentina MotoGP round after Mandalika crash
Honda has announced Marc Marquez will sit out this weekend’s MotoGP Argentine Grand Prix following the shocking accident in Indonesia that left him with vision problems.
However, Marquez said on his social media channels last week that the issue was not as bad as before and he has made good progress since.

Despite this, Marquez will sit out MotoGP’s return to Argentina this weekend and will likely be absent from the following Americas GP – which he won last year.
Marquez’s Indonesia accident capped off a miserable weekend for Honda, in which a change in tyre carcass to a design not used since 2018 caused the marque’s riders extreme rear grip problems.

Michelin elected to bring the stiffer construction rear after the standard 2022 tyres blistered during February’s pre-season test in Indonesia.

Honda has not outright blamed Michelin for Marquez’s crash, but team boss Alberto Puig said it had to work with the tyre manufacturer to understand what went wrong after HRC topped the Indonesia test on the standard 2022 rubber.
https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/ ... h/9422528/
Another season done and dusted for Marc! That's the 3rd season in a row...

Wow this man can't seem to catch a break! I was still hoping he can come back in Argentina although deep down I knew there was no way at all he could come back that fast! What a shame...

Since his crash in 2020 I've been thinking that his career is coming to an end sooner or later but after 2021 I thought that he has become a lot more careful after losing the whole of 2020! But I guess I lil bit of pushing over the limit plus circumstances out of his hands (2018 tires) made him crash heavily again...

Anyway, it is what it is! MotoGP is so boring without Marc... :(
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

etusch

I was sure he come back after 2020 crash. But after cross bike crash last year I lost confidence on him. And now I think it is a finish.
I am sure Honda will start to think in this way soon and start to looking a new talent, if they are not thinking in this way already. ( This years' bike suits PE riding style more so maybe Honda are in the approach of "MM retirement is close" long ago from now)