Haas VF-22 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jolle

Re: Haas VF-22 Speculation Thread

diffuser wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 15:00
I guess I don't understand why if Haas has chosen to go with a pullrod front suspension why they would hide it?
Could be an embargo from Ferrari, to show any details from the actual car/Ferrari parts until the Ferrari is public.

diffuser

Jolle wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 15:03
diffuser wrote:
I guess I don't understand why if Haas has chosen to go with a pullrod front suspension why they would hide it?
Could be an embargo from Ferrari, to show any details from the actual car/Ferrari parts until the Ferrari is public.
And what if we know Ferrari has chosen Pullrod ? It's the tip of the proverbial iceberg. It's not like teams are gonna switch now from pull to push or vise versa. If Ferrari really had a problem with Haas letting the cat out of the bag, they would just asked them to present after them. I think it's juts still really slow if F1 news these days.

Jolle

diffuser wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 16:08
Jolle wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 15:03
diffuser wrote:
And what if we know Ferrari has chosen Pullrod ? It's the tip of the proverbial iceberg. It's not like teams are gonna switch now from pull to push or vise versa. If Ferrari really had a problem with Haas letting the cat out of the bag, they would just asked them to present after them. I think it's juts still really slow if F1 news these days.
Probally an agreement for all parts/designs not just one or two. Don't forget, HAAS has the specs of Ferrari well in advanced and must be very careful not to spill any beans.

JordanMugen

godlameroso wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 00:12
Why not have both though? Raise the pressure above and lower it below, and then use flow structures to keep them separated. Like the old 'The offspring' song went, you gotta keep em separated.
Yes, that's the idea. It is only the relative pressure between top and bottom surfaces that is important, not the absolute pressure. You know they aren't unrelated systems right? (There is a lot of pseudo-action-at-a-distance in continuum fluid mechanics.)

More mass flow over the top side at the rear can help drive more velocity underneath (and thus lower pressure underneath assuming you can stop air spilling in under the car where you don't want it to).

Hence the aggressive beam wing after all, to create low pressure at the exit of the diffuser (venturi tunnel) to work it harder. :)

Giando

diffuser wrote:
Correct... at this stage, it would be impossible for anyone to choose/copy other solutions... so what could be the point?

That said, the choice to go with pull-rod or push-rod could have consequences not only aerodynamically and on the geometry and therefore the tyre performance but also on weight distribution (which then relates to the overall dynamics of the vehicle): for example if you could place dampers and rockers of a pull-rod layout very low inside the chassis without increasing the front section of the monocoque, this could provide some performance improvements, i guess. Do you agree?

wogx

Giando wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 18:37
at this stage, it would be impossible for anyone to choose/copy other solutions
For 2022.

New regulations will stay with us for many years, some teams might be starting to think about 2023 concepts now.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

jjn9128

diffuser wrote:
It's not like any other team can copy it now their chassis are homologated.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Blackout

Can you guess which arm is the steering rod?

Jolle

Blackout wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 21:11
https://i.imgur.com/W4bzSwQ.jpg
Don’t have to guess. You can spot on the top view look of this render it’s the top one, the one below is a wishbone

Stu

Jolle wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 23:51
Blackout wrote:
Don’t have to guess. You can spot on the top view look of this render it’s the top one, the one below is a wishbone
I would say the other way around (from seeing where each one ‘hits’ the chassis
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Jolle

Stu wrote:
09 Feb 2022, 00:19
Jolle wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 23:51
Blackout wrote:
I would say the other way around (from seeing where each one ‘hits’ the chassis
Oh yes, you’re right.

The budget cap isn’t wasted on photoshop at least.

diffuser

Blackout wrote:
We should see the upper wishbone (2 arms), Lower wishbone(2 more ams), pushrod (1 arm) and steering or track rod. We don't see them all.

diffuser

diffuser wrote:
09 Feb 2022, 01:12
Blackout wrote:
We should see the upper wishbone (2 arms), Lower wishbone(2 more ams), pushrod (1 arm) and steering or track rod. We don't see them all.
When I look closely, I can see the 2nd arm (back wish bone) of the upper wishbone between the front upper wishbone and the steering rod. Based on the possitioning of the the front upper wishbone, I say the upper rod is the steering rod.

timbo

Definitely the lower one.

F1Krof

Blackout wrote:
This feels very odd somehow. Something doesn't add up here. Just intuitively looking at it, I believe the real version of the car is more akin to this:

Wroom wroom