Haas VF-22 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan

Re: Haas VF-22 Speculation Thread

Giando wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 13:08

I pointed that out in a previous post. It's attached (or integrated in the mould) to the side plates, so it creates an interesting flow space under the nose tip. It could also flex a bit under air pressure at high speed i guess.
That could be the first controversy of 2022 - flexing, detached lower front wing front flap / main planes.

However, if one did set it up so that the front flap/main plane flexed down at speed, how would that help? If the slot gap between the main plane and the first flap behind it opens, that will change the way the front wing works. You wouldn't want to cause the front wing to stall because that would just dump a whole load of nasty air back in to every other aero device.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Giando

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 14:43
Giando wrote:

I pointed that out in a previous post. It's attached (or integrated in the mould) to the side plates, so it creates an interesting flow space under the nose tip. It could also flex a bit under air pressure at high speed i guess.
That could be the first controversy of 2022 - flexing, detached lower front wing front flap / main planes.

However, if one did set it up so that the front flap/main plane flexed down at speed, how would that help? If the slot gap between the main plane and the first flap behind it opens, that will change the way the front wing works. You wouldn't want to cause the front wing to stall because that would just dump a whole load of nasty air back in to every other aero device.
Oh man, that i don't really know... i was just fantasizing... maybe it could be a very controlled flex of just a few mm just helping to get a better flow around and under the nose on straights... but it could also be completely stiff of course.

SiLo

it's probably just to get a bit move air underneath the nose to the floor of the car. It's quite a simple solution for it really.

I was under the impression all the front wing elements needed to connect to the nose, but maybe it was everything but the lowest main plane?
Felipe Baby!

Giando

CMSMJ1 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 14:00
Giando wrote:
CMSMJ1 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 13:04

Looking at that - where does the lower main plane mount? Just missed it from the render, or am I going to clean my specs?
Giando wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 15:22
Render or not, there's something interesting in the front wing area.

The structural part of the front wing attached to the nose cone is the first flap, the red one (or maybe a combination of the first, second and third) which then sustains the side vertical rounded panels... so the bigger main profile of the front wing is kind of suspended between the side panels and never touches the nose cone.

https://postimg.cc/bd3p3TH4
Thanks Giando - so do you reckon that the main plane is actually suspended then from the second plane?

It's surely not just hanging from the slot gap seperators? Imagine a T1 nudge of someone's tyre...the whole lower plane will detach?
Here you go...

PlatinumZealot

The front flap is rigidly suported with metal fences coming down from the second flap.
It is not suppoorted from the end-plates.

Forces will always travel through the stiffest path (for equilibrium reasons) and the suspending forces are through the small metal fences hanging near the middle of the second flap, which in turn is directly attached to the nose cone.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Giando

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 22:14
The front flap is rigidly suported with metal fences coming down from the second flap.

Forces will always travel through the stiffest path (for equilibrium reasons) and the suspending forces are through the small metal fences hanging near the middle of the second flap, which in turn is directly attached to the nose cone.
Hi there. Thanks for expanding the analysis and sharing your view. Are the small metal fences really capable to sustain the main profile? Couldn't it be the opposite logic, so that the main profile will 'pull' down the flaps when flexing under load? Just an idea eh

PlatinumZealot

Giando wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 00:30
PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 22:14

Hi there. Thanks for expanding the analysis and sharing your view. Are the small metal fences really capable to sustain the main profile?
Yes. Assuming worst case they are made from aluminum. Yeild strength... Lest say 30,000 N/cm^2. Each fences is like 5cm long and maybe 0.5cm wide in cross section. That is a cross section of about 2.5 square cm. So each one can take 75,000 Newtons (~ 7500kg) before popping off.

The F1 engineers more likely designed them for bending and for stretching. But I'm just keeping it simple and usinging yielding. So the fences are squite strong.
Couldn't it be the opposite logic, so that the main profile will 'pull' down the flaps when flexing under load? Just an idea eh
It can do that yes if they can pass whatever flexi-wing tests FIA come up with. Drag will reduce but downforce will also reduce. Vibrations may also be problem. That is a long peice.
But just from looking where the fences are located, near the nose I can see the teams want the centre to be fairly rigid at least.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Frankwj

The real car looks significantly different, maybe time to open the real thread now?

Thunder

Alright we've seen a real Car. I'll open the Car Thread.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum