Haas VF-22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
continuum16

Re: Haas VF-22

Might help explain the apparent competitive boost despite no (visible) upgrades. Good for them. Apparently the first big changes will come in France.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Sevach

Sieper

Would this require a strengthened gearbox - engine connection. I could think FIA is not happy to see this.

PhillipM

Sieper wrote:
30 May 2022, 18:39
Would this require a strengthened gearbox - engine connection. I could think FIA is not happy to see this.
Why not? That's exactly what it's designed for! #-o

Zynerji

Best rear-suspension pic that I've seen on here! Bravo! 👏👏

Rodak

Zynerji wrote:
30 May 2022, 23:39
Best rear-suspension pic that I've seen on here! Bravo! 👏👏
True about the pics! Sheared some bolts there, which is certainly a good way to dissipate energy; quite a clean break with surprisingly little visible damage to the box and suspension. This is the same gearbox et al that Ferrari use, isn't it?

Michael

Is this the Ferrari rear suspension? Is this useful for competitors at all? How does it work, what are we looking at, etc.?

Sevach

Michael wrote:
31 May 2022, 12:34
Is this the Ferrari rear suspension? Is this useful for competitors at all? How does it work, what are we looking at, etc.?
Should be a Ferrari supplied part, yes.

I think the belleville washers (the spring that looks like it's made of rubber) are for heave(vertical) motion(someone please correct me if i'm wrong).

PlatinumZealot

Sieper wrote:
30 May 2022, 18:39
You see that all of the mounting points are intact. After the Grosjean incident, FIA instructed that the bolts are designed to break away at a certain load so that the some of the kinetic energy from the crash is severed (literally) from the fuel cell/chassis.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sieper

Thanks all for the input. I see a car in two halves and think, this seems not OK, but in fact, this is the best you can achieve, dissipating the energy.

SiLo

Sevach wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 13:50
Michael wrote:
31 May 2022, 12:34
Should be a Ferrari supplied part, yes.

I think the belleville washers (the spring that looks like it's made of rubber) are for heave(vertical) motion(someone please correct me if i'm wrong).
This is correct, so it doesn't impact movement when left and right are moving independently of each other (think going around a corner).
Felipe Baby!

JordanFiveOh

Where in the world does the clutch/input shaft fit into that casing? Trying to visualize it and there’s so much suspension stuff in the way!

chrisc90

JordanFiveOh wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 17:12
Where in the world does the clutch/input shaft fit into that casing? Trying to visualize it and there’s so much suspension stuff in the way!
I was thinking this myself looking at the photos. Where does the gearbox go or where is the shaft from the gearbox to the rear diff (mini prop style?)

It is quite interesting and seems away from what you would expect for power train sort of setup.

Stu

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 18:16
JordanFiveOh wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 17:12
I was thinking this myself looking at the photos. Where does the gearbox go or where is the shaft from the gearbox to the rear diff (mini prop style?)

It is quite interesting and seems away from what you would expect for power train sort of setup.
I can’t see where it would go, but have they built it onto the rear of the engine (back-to-front from the conventional)?
Would it be considered as a part of the engine mass if they were to do so?
Potentially very clever interpretation if they have!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Stu

You cannot quite see low enough in the bottom of these two pics….
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.