Alpine A522

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diffuser

Re: Alpine A522

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Mar 2022, 00:27
I wonder if Alpine have abandoned the concept with the secondary set of louvers that sit on the inboard area of the engine cover. The ones we discusses being taped over (rather poorly :? ) Did anyone see those louvers opened at any point during the test?
Probably cause it was too cold and they didn't have the non grill piece manufactured.

Blackout

According to my ocular CFD, that "RCI" mirror vane will generate a vortice that will help drawing air from those top slits and grills. And the red arrow halo winglets should help too with the low pressure zone they will create below them.

And that very rounded bodywork chape (yellow arrow) is interesting too. there is nothing underneath it and it's not circumventing any engine or a cooling part, so it's there purely for aero. It's similar to a sidepod undercut and it's meant to accelerate air below the Alpine sticker and attract lateral and downwash flow toward diffuser top IMO : )

diffuser

Been Looking at this picture.... At First I thought the carbon fiber on the PU was just some part of the PU but now I'm noticing that it looks like it's part of the Chassis ? Is that possible? It's seems to flow down from the Halo all the way down to the exhaust loop that becomes the I beam for the rear wing. Think that Upper lip of carbon would seal against the outer skin of the car. This would leave a chamber between the carbon and the PU and sheid it from the Heat rising off the headers. That is where the presently sealed grills are on the PU cover.

I'd also expected to see a cone shaped crash structure around the Sidepod rad area but I don't see that.

Blackout

diffuser wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 16:02
Been Looking at this picture.... At First I thought the carbon fiber on the PU was just some part of the PU but now I'm noticing that it looks like it's part of the Chassis ? Is that possible? It's seems to flow down from the Halo all the way down to the exhaust loop that becomes the I beam for the rear wing. Think that Upper lip of carbon would seal against the outer skin of the car. This would leave a chamber between the carbon and the PU and sheid it from the Heat rising off the headers. That is where the presently sealed grills are on the PU cover.

I'd also expected to see a cone shaped crash structure around the Sidepod rad area but I don't see that.

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ail-1.webp
A classic streamlined internal bodywork to keep the inside flow clean and "together" Image like here.
Yes it should seal against to outer bodywork
AMuS

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

First picture of the Alpine in Bahrain:

AeroDynamic

#AMuS

diffuser

Aside from the colour,I don't see and visual different in the car from Friday of the last test.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Seems like they were tidy enough on the longer runs today Diffuser? Feel like Alpines base performance might not be as bad as people think - perhaps we will see more in tomorrow evenings session

Postmoe

Mansell89 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 18:12
Seems like they were tidy enough on the longer runs today Diffuser? Feel like Alpines base performance might not be as bad as people think - perhaps we will see more in tomorrow evenings session
Purpoising seems moderate today, car seems easier to drive (maybe more neutral) than the majority of the field.

AeroDynamic

@Albert Fabrega

diffuser

From this angle, it looks like the air that comes down off the lower part of the sidepod get's sucked in under the floor through the slot cut in the floor.

SICK AL SPEEDSHOP

That's somehow a funny and close picture of the A522 nose. Looks like a sniffing dog.

diffuser

Some floor Detail ...

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

What happened to the "new parts and upgrades in Bahrain, Barcelona just an engine test"? The car looks the same since Barcelona. Sure they may be an extra gurney flap here and there, some extra opened cooling gills but is that it? Car has hardly evolved.

vorticism

Shape of diffuser:

𓄀