Alpine A522

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Magicsenna_41

Re: Alpine A522

bosyber wrote:
07 May 2022, 13:51
diffuser wrote:
07 May 2022, 03:55
AR3-GP wrote:
07 May 2022, 02:36
Euggh that square edge. Like nails on a chalkboard.
Think it reduces drag. Surprised the regulations allow it.
So did they get it by getting the curvature in the horizontal plane rather than the vertical (I thought it needed to be there, and vertical, but didn't look it up in the rulebook). The rounded edge is specifically to make shedding vortices less doable, so I suppose this is clever, and helps there, but also against the spirit of the rules (so FIA might in time amend rule to disallow if it works, I think).
It's ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if we see '2021 like-cars' soon.

bosyber

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
07 May 2022, 13:56
bosyber wrote:
diffuser wrote:

So did they get it by getting the curvature in the horizontal plane rather than the vertical (I thought it needed to be there, and vertical, but didn't look it up in the rulebook). The rounded edge is specifically to make shedding vortices less doable, so I suppose this is clever, and helps there, but also against the spirit of the rules (so FIA might in time amend rule to disallow if it works, I think).
It's ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if we see '2021 like-cars' soon.
Also in the sense of much more complicated, filigrained front-endplate designs we have already seen on several cars you mean? It was sort of expected, though recall, the FIA can amend the rules if they work too well to increase outwash at the expense of being able to follow.

diffuser

More cooling for Miami. Ocon's car before he hit the wall.

Alonsismo

diffuser wrote:
07 May 2022, 19:47
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FSJj3bHWYAA ... name=large
more cooling, and it seems to have a little bit less paint on the top of the sidepods no?

Blackout

diffuser

They are not gonna be happy about this picture getting out. Don't think anyone is doing what they're doing on the floor. See how they Drop the floor and force the air to come out further in the back.

diffuser

Alonsismo wrote:
07 May 2022, 20:12
diffuser wrote:
more cooling, and it seems to have a little bit less paint on the top of the sidepods no?
Yeah looks like these vents, they choose not to paint them, left them the colour of carbon fibre. Save on weight.

diffuser

bosyber wrote:
diffuser wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
07 May 2022, 02:36
Euggh that square edge. Like nails on a chalkboard.
Alonsismo wrote:
07 May 2022, 12:18
indeed, if it works it might be a pretty big thing. And presumably relatively easy for others to follow, so if it is detrimental to the wake, I think the FIA would possibly step in to stop it. But for now, clever.

Also, It is interesting how quickly we got used to seeing those rounded edges of the rear wings that now this looks so odd, isn't it!

Other people are doing it aready and maybe better ..

Oh and we were running full cooling in Quali.

JordanMugen

diffuser wrote:
06 May 2022, 22:57
Oh I see it is curved back, so very much an endplate effect. Good thinking Alpine. =D>

I imagine everyone will copy that (as we see on the Alpine, they have just glued an extra bit on to the old rear wing endplates, so I presume they have just thought of it fairly recently and added it to the car ASAP?), it's a great idea. I can see it being much more effective than the Mercedes version.

The Alpine version obviously loses lateral expansion (which the Mercedes version allows), but instead gains better separation of the low and high pressure sides of the wing longitudinally ... as if the rear wing has much (5-10%?) bigger endplates.

bosyber wrote:
indeed, if it works it might be a pretty big thing. And presumably relatively easy for others to follow, so if it is detrimental to the wake, I think the FIA would possibly step in to stop it. But for now, clever.
Just as Alpine is avoiding the intent of the rear wing endplate blending rule, Mercedes is also undermining the intent of the front wing endplate blending rule with their slotted front wing endplate too. Both of these loopholes could be easily tidied up for the 2023 regulations (or even mid-season, asking both of those teams to revert to an older spec if desired, but I don't think they are such urgent matters).

Blackout wrote:
08 May 2022, 16:00
Bad Ocon! :P

(That double bib as above that most of the cars now have is obviously another loophole which could be closed for 2023 if the FIA desires, but maybe it's not a big deal either.)

AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
08 May 2022, 16:42
They are not gonna be happy about this picture getting out. Don't think anyone is doing what they're doing on the floor. See how they Drop the floor and force the air to come out further in the back.
Given their lack of speed, I doubt anyone is particularly interested in this car. The RB, Ferrari, and Mercedes are the cars people want to understand.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
08 May 2022, 19:10
diffuser wrote:
Given their lack of speed, I doubt anyone is particularly interested in this car. The RB, Ferrari, and Mercedes are the cars people want to understand.
Right and nobody copied the double bib from AMR. You so wrong it isn't funny. They look at EVERYBODIES car and see what they can use. You'd be an idiot not to.

Fans might be most interested those 3 but that's cause we, for the most part, don't know what we're looking at.

Blackout

diffuser wrote:
- We already saw the underbody of many cars (Ferrari, RB, Mercedes, Williams, Aston etc), Alpine is not alone...
- A522 underbody is nothing special, apart from those cuts and vanes, but they were already visible since the beginning. There is not need for a bottom view to see them:
diffuser wrote:
03 May 2022, 02:24
Blackout wrote:
02 May 2022, 16:34
Regarding the floor, there is a detail that often gets overlooked about the Alpine floor cuts, namely their vertical part (colored purple). They sit very low & they kinda look like mini skirts... and like the outwashy front fences of the floor... So I wonder how they work aerodynamically...

As you see, Alpine added a metallic reinforcement to their leading edge in Imola... so maybe they (also) act like those RB18 skids (blue arrow) that supposedly maintain a minimum floor height there ?
Piola /Motorsport - @NicolasF1i - Nextgen-Auto
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FRwntxPWYAE ... =4096x4096
So I thought those slits in the floor are just another place where the air exits from under the floor, like the front. They act like a diffuser, creating downforce there. I though that was why they spread the slots further apart and made the rear one longer, get a better spread of the downforce.
Yes maybe they act like the tunnels entry fences and create local suction there + vortices...
Last edited by Blackout on 09 May 2022, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

Blackout

diffuser

They just keep failing to execute, then they can't seem to pass anyone and then something happens that works against Alonso. Yesterday it was the long pit stop and the safety car at the wrong time that killed him.

Also, they need more power from the PU. Think it's about time they start dialing it up.

Redragon

diffuser wrote:
Alonso was running different cooling on race, he had the full grills around engine and top of sidepods

Also Ocon had the grill around the engine on race but only half of them + the ones on top of the sidepods as on your pictures. Similar set up as when he crashed Image