Alpine A522

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93

Re: Alpine A522 Speculation Thread

Probably water cooled intercooler. It makes more sense with the split tubo design from a packaging point of view. And you get the sense that they are trying to closer align to the Merc design.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Blackout

Owen.C93 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 21:54
Probably water cooled intercooler. It makes more sense with the split tubo design from a packaging point of view. And you get the sense that they are trying to closer align to the Merc design.
Agree.

Miha_v

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 21:43
I also hope that is not the real car. It gives me real midfielder vibes. Nothing in common with any of the other cars. What's with all that cooling?
Me too, hope I'm mistaken.
Hopefully the new long awaited engine is such a beast, it needs all that extra cooling 8)

Blackout

Miha_v wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 21:57
AR3-GP wrote:
I also hope that is not the real car. It gives me real midfielder vibes. Nothing in common with any of the other cars. What's with all that cooling?
Me too, hope I'm mistaken.
Hopefully the new long awaited engine is such a beast, it needs all that extra cooling 8)
Cooling system (very) looks small. viewtopic.php?p=1034920#p1034920

But like many cars this year, the sidpods bodywork is oversized, for external air management reasons (trying to replace the bargeboards etc)

But this is team Enstone, AKA, team "do-the-opposite-of-what-the-other-teams-do", so this car has, of course, short sidepods, a raised nose, and loaded outboard FW sections...

chlebekf1

I think it has a very large and clean airflow between the front wing and the suspension

Gecko

AR3-GP wrote:
I like this concept of aero the most. It seems closest to what we've seen from the Red Bull / Alpha Tauri teams. I believe running the beam wing and area above it with as high a total pressure and flow volume as possible will be key to extracting performance out of the diffuser, and this car seems to be going for that very nicely with its a concept. There is a clear desire to pull the clean air from above the sidepods down onto the diffuser/beam wing, which displaces the front wheel wake and prevents it from being pulled back in. The gills have the advantage over a canon outlet in that the stagnant air from the cooling outlet will get entrained with the high energy air along its path down the skin, reducing the overall amount of lossy air hitting the beam wing/rear wing area, though they do still keep the canon exhaust as well, which tells me they haven't fully gone with either of the solutions yet and that may be different when they actually run the car.

Blackout

Mercedes-style high mounted rear pullrods (green)

diffuser

hollus wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 21:15
RedNEO wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 21:08
Well we can’t say it’s a thic boy anymore..

Side note - new car thread when?
I am not convinced that this is the real car. Looks too vanilla with a couple of details here and there. Even the details are too generic, perfectly aligned, regular, rectangular gills?

I would rather risk opening too late than too early.

So let's see that shakedown first.

(Unless other mods dissagree).

Lets wait and keep that new car smell :)....What's another day at this point ?

Blackout

Meanwhile, the car generates so much downforce, that it ca get away with very flat front and rear wings  :smoking:

The floor vanes are quite aggressive, especially the inboard ones... very different from the other cars

edgelo

Gecko wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 22:46
AR3-GP wrote:
I like this concept of aero the most. It seems closest to what we've seen from the Red Bull / Alpha Tauri teams. I believe running the beam wing and area above it with as high a total pressure and flow volume as possible will be key to extracting performance out of the diffuser, and this car seems to be going for that very nicely with its a concept. There is a clear desire to pull the clean air from above the sidepods down onto the diffuser/beam wing, which displaces the front wheel wake and prevents it from being pulled back in. The gills have the advantage over a canon outlet in that the stagnant air from the cooling outlet will get entrained with the high energy air along its path down the skin, reducing the overall amount of lossy air hitting the beam wing/rear wing area, though they do still keep the canon exhaust as well, which tells me they haven't fully gone with either of the solutions yet and that may be different when they actually run the car.
In my opinion, you’ve hit the nail. Totally agree

Plus there is a beautiful slope between the upper surface of the sidepods and the beginning of the diffuser.

Helping to avoid the front tyre wake, there must be a strong stream coming from below the sidepods intakes. And that beautiful and big bargeboards.

bucker

Blackout wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 23:27
Meanwhile, the car generates so much downforce, that it ca get away with very flat front and rear wings  :smoking:

The floor vanes are quite aggressive, especially the inboard ones... very different from the other cars

It you look closely, this render is pretty poor.

Blackout

Blackout

Harman: the cooling system is 50% smaller.

Blackout

Scarbs too thinks this car might have replaced its twin air-air intercoolers with a water-air one.
And if you look at this screenshot of the underside and rear of the tub, that purple colored recess could be for that intercooler. (while yellow recess is for fuel bag and battery, and green recess is for compressor and engine oil tank)

The red recess on the tub flanc could be for the radiator but odly, that rad doenst seem to by inserted inside the tub side, like the previous Renault cars...

AR3-GP

stefan_ wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 21:52
AR3-GP wrote:
How can you know by only looking at some renders?
I don't know. I said it's a vibe :wink: