Alpine A522

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Alpine A522

Blackout wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 14:46
This susp comparison illustrates the different aero philosophies well. A522 has v. narrow & swept back top wishbones (yellow), while the lower triangle does the opposite to counterbalance that, & both triangles seem 2 be designed 2 let as much downwash flow pass from top 2 bottom.
The whole rear bodywork (sidepod top, rollhoop top, bulbous 'tunnels) of A522A seem 2 be designed 2 pull as much air from top 2 bottom towards the rear DF-producers*, so logically the susp arms comply with that, while F-75 probably rely more on lateral flow & coke bottle flow, for its diffuser, beam, rear wheel winglets etc... and uses its sidpeod top obviously differently (to generate local DF id I understood Vanja #66 well)
So an inverted bottom wishbone (green) rear suspension like the Ferrari or Merc wouldnt be necessarily useful for the Alpine 22 philosophy. (pic = Imola)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FY1RYvLWIAU ... name=large
Simply a longer wheelbase on the Ferrari. Wishbones more swept back.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sevach

Blackout

Blackout

Last edited by Blackout on 28 Aug 2022, 08:21, edited 2 times in total.

diffuser

You sugesting Alonso's not running that new part? That looks like it might be 2 different tracks.

Blackout

It's written on the pic (HUN vs BEL) ; ) (maybe your device (smartphone?) is cropping the picture)

AR3-GP

Blackout wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 19:54
It's written on the pic (HUN vs BEL) ; ) (maybe your device (smartphone?) is cropping the picture)
It's hard to see. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. No biggie.

K1Plus

I've always been wondering how their suspension and chassis design is very simple and dare I say it "bland". You know, it is basically like a clean slate, so much scope for development. No wonder their slow speed mechanical grip is probably the worst on the grid, yet they have amazing aero probably up there with Red Bull and Ferrari.

What could they do with the suspensions and geometry for next year?

Blackout

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 20:17
Blackout wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 19:54
It's hard to see. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. No biggie.
Okay. Edited.

Blackout

K1Plus wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 01:33
I've always been wondering how their suspension and chassis design is very simple and dare I say it "bland". You know, it is basically like a clean slate, so much scope for development. No wonder their slow speed mechanical grip is probably the worst on the grid, yet they have amazing aero probably up there with Red Bull and Ferrari.

What could they do with the suspensions and geometry for next year?
You're exaggerating a lot... the A522 is not the worst in slow speed and their aero is definitely not on par with the top 3 teams... if it was, they would be much closer in S2 here... and much closer to the best 2-3 cars in every track.

Regarding traction, mechanical grip etc, I think they have room for improvement indeed, and maybe their 2022 rear susp geometry plays a role here. They have a quite different pull rod geometry this year, compared to the past.

This year, it follows Merc's extremely high pull rod placement that appeared in 2019... it even looks more agressive than Merc
Nextgen-auto - Motrosport - Albert Fabrega

& since suspension performance (amongst other things) is often scarified for aero performance, this geometry is maybe detrimental for traction (for now).
Alpine will probably need time to master it...

All teams repositioned their rods/rockers to slim down their Gbox bottom & make more space for the diffuser/tunnels/coke bottle etc. A522 raised that susp assembly, others moved it forward & low to put it in the widest part of the Gbox casing (Ferrari), others raised it even higher & used pushrods (RB/MCL/Alfa)

vorticism

𓄀

SmallSoldier

Alpine getting ready for Zandvoort, testing larger mirrors as Mercedes? Apparently FIA trying to improve drivers rearward visibility

Vía: Albert Fabrega

RZS10

If they used the same stickers then the answer is likely 'yes'

edit: or going back to my half jokingly made measurement of the inlet
The mirror is now the same width as the inlet (red lines are just copied yellow and moved over)

This looks like an entire mirror assembly including bigger surrounding winglets and different mount etc whereas Merc only put a cover on theirs.

SmallSoldier

Read today that all Teams will be running the larger mirrors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BassVirolla

RZS10 wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 13:14
If they used the same stickers then the answer is likely 'yes'
https://i.imgur.com/GzqqVzE.png

edit: or going back to my half jokingly made measurement of the inlet
https://i.imgur.com/3G7FOr6.png
The mirror is now the same width as the inlet (red lines are just copied yellow and moved over)
https://i.imgur.com/pd9d3pT.png

This looks like an entire mirror assembly including bigger surrounding winglets and different mount etc whereas Merc only put a cover on theirs.
Half jokingly, yes, but is undeniable that, given a nearly identical distance from the photograph lens to the inlet and to the mirror, in terms of "mirrors" the total inlet surface is quite similar.

If you can use square feets, inches, centimeters or millimeters, why not square mirrors.

I can't see this as anything more than a good job.