Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jolle

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

holeindalip wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 22:34
Jolle wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 22:23
holeindalip wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 22:18

You can see the rad in some of the pictures sitting quite far back in the inlet…..
Is it a rendered radiator or the louvres because the render is hollow?
https://imgur.com/gE2C9U3
I’ve seen those, could well be the louvres viewed from the front. They line up like that

holeindalip

Jolle wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 22:38
holeindalip wrote:
Jolle wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 22:23

Is it a rendered radiator or the louvres because the render is hollow?
I’ve seen those, could well be the louvres viewed from the front. They line up like that
The louvres aren’t that slanted though…

Jolle

holeindalip wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 22:40
Jolle wrote:
holeindalip wrote:

They come quite close..
Could also be that the outside inlets are going to the louvres if course, the sidepods must be this wide to accommodate the crush test. This way they could regain some “thinness” and even do a cleaver trick with turbulence to do some boundary layer stuff to influence the rear wing.

holeindalip

Jolle wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 22:44
holeindalip wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 22:40
Jolle wrote:

They come quite close..
Could also be that the outside inlets are going to the louvres if course, the sidepods must be this wide to accommodate the crush test. This way they could regain some “thinness” and even do a cleaver trick with turbulence to do some boundary layer stuff to influence the rear wing.
After looking again, it could just be the light source shining through the Louvres at the right angle to make it look slanted , time will tell my friend……

RZS10

I'm with Jolle on this ... i'd say it's the louvres ... one would also expect the radiators to start way further forward, roughly where i drew in the red dots, they surely aren't leaving such a huge space unused (?)

Jolle

RZS10 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 22:47
I'm with Jolle on this ... i'd say it's the louvres ... one would also expect the radiators to start way further forward, roughly where i drew in the red dots, they surely aren't leaving such a huge space unused (?)
https://i.imgur.com/v30L9cv.png
By the way, not that the real car is hollow there, just the render.

RZS10

Of course. Meant that if the render wasn't hollow then the radiators would start really far back, roughly where the louvres start in the top down view as the inside wall is fully visible at the width of the headrest/cockpit area roughly ...the next vertical line left of where the red dots are

holeindalip

RZS10 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 22:55
Of course. Meant that if the render wasn't hollow then the radiators would start really far back, roughly where the louvres start in the top down view as the inside wall is fully visible at the width of the headrest/cockpit area roughly ...the next vertical line left of where the red dots are

While I’m not disagreeing with you guys but that’s about where the old side pods used to start. Like I said time will tell all through out the season we will see more details….

Just_a_fan

RZS10 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 22:47
https://i.imgur.com/v30L9cv.png
It's quite obviously the radiator.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle

the side impact poles, as seen through the real car's inlets are also missing from the render. They are at the bottom of the square and probably will go all thew ay to the outside of the "bulge". This would mean the top of this bulge wouldn't have to be this high. This makes me believe the black inserts will be gone for when the car hits the track.

AeroDynamic

both inlets are lit differently. I upped the brightness to release any detail data in the right side inlet, nothing is there.

based on the key lighting on the left side of the car and nose, there's simulated light illumination from the left side of the virtual room.

Even the inner interior left inlet is illuminated more than the right.

I think its the Louvres though, based on how the car is lit externally. no light is simulated directly at the inlet itself, the light appears to be simulated slightly from behind but definitely on the left.

FDD
FDD

Blackout

But he's wrong about the upper SIS IMO. Looks illegaly low. So it's actually inside the top sidepod lip IMO
Last edited by Blackout on 11 Feb 2022, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

JPBD1990

I’m no aerodynamicist, can someone with more expertise explain how the airflow would flow off the back of this ‘hump’ at the rear of the sidepod before the rear suspension?

To me it looks like the Airflow would come off that mass messy, impacting diffuser performance. That makes me think the Haas-tight solution is the more successful one - but again, I’m a layman, so have no idea. Would appreciate the insights of people smarter than me.

https://imgur.com/a/5VQZ7OS

west52keep64

Jolle wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 23:31
the side impact poles, as seen through the real car's inlets are also missing from the render. They are at the bottom of the square and probably will go all thew ay to the outside of the "bulge". This would mean the top of this bulge wouldn't have to be this high. This makes me believe the black inserts will be gone for when the car hits the track.
They aren't really black inserts, they are part of the sidepod panel that hasn't been painted. Just look at the carbon structure, you can see it's continuous. If they were inserts there would be some sort of edge/join.

The reason they are shaped like that is because they are "pressed" up against the sidepod legality volume. The flat surface you are seeing is effectively the edge of the volume the sidepods are allowed to occupy.