Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1316

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

Mat-tes wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 04:59
https://ibb.co/hKnhjyd

By pushing the sidepods as far forward as the rules allows, teams can basically bypass the blockage from the SIP by placing them behind the rads it looks like, so teams looks to have a lot of up and down freedom in how the inlet is shaped with minimal radiuses/leading edge, but they are a bit limited on the overall width of the opening with how the rules dictates the sharp geometry we can see on the flat spot of the side pods here.

Note: I'm definitely not certain about exactly where things are or how big they are in the side pods so my illustration is just a rough positioning of the SIP (pink line) and the rads positioned forward of that line.

We'll have to see during race weekends but I wonder by how far the teams can trim down the front and rear wings if they have generated a very strong floor to have the aero balance close to the center of the car.

A nice detail that doesn't do anything for performance, they have shaped the driver cooling opening on the nose like a miniature Aston Martin grill.

https://ibb.co/jH1mLcS
I don’t know if there’ll be trimming down of wings. We’re already hearing how (I) these cars will be slower in slow corners - where a lot of the time is won and lost (ii) faster on the straights given less drag from wings. So I’d imagine they would always want maximum wing angle to claw back whatever they can in the slow stuff, given they’ll already be rapid in a straight line. No?

Henri

Epic🍿🥂

Mostlyeels

f1316 wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 06:46
Mat-tes wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 04:59
https://ibb.co/hKnhjyd

By pushing the sidepods as far forward as the rules allows, teams can basically bypass the blockage from the SIP by placing them behind the rads it looks like, so teams looks to have a lot of up and down freedom in how the inlet is shaped with minimal radiuses/leading edge, but they are a bit limited on the overall width of the opening with how the rules dictates the sharp geometry we can see on the flat spot of the side pods here.

Note: I'm definitely not certain about exactly where things are or how big they are in the side pods so my illustration is just a rough positioning of the SIP (pink line) and the rads positioned forward of that line.

We'll have to see during race weekends but I wonder by how far the teams can trim down the front and rear wings if they have generated a very strong floor to have the aero balance close to the center of the car.

A nice detail that doesn't do anything for performance, they have shaped the driver cooling opening on the nose like a miniature Aston Martin grill.

https://ibb.co/jH1mLcS
I don’t know if there’ll be trimming down of wings. We’re already hearing how (I) these cars will be slower in slow corners - where a lot of the time is won and lost (ii) faster on the straights given less drag from wings. So I’d imagine they would always want maximum wing angle to claw back whatever they can in the slow stuff, given they’ll already be rapid in a straight line. No?
Can someone explain to me why these cars will be slower in slow corners?

Mat-tes

Another observation on the SIP, the lower one. Looking at the factory video it shows the lower SIP to be right after the ventury tunnel closes. It might look confusing looking at the upper surface of the floor but it looks like the throat of the tunnel closes a lot faster compared to the upper surface that sees a smooth surface, probably to play with the difference in pressure and optimize how the flow behave between the undercut and the ventury.

timbo

Mostlyeels wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 09:34
Can someone explain to me why these cars will be slower in slow corners?
A lot of suspension technology got banned and the cars are heavier.

Jambier

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 21:29
The car hasn’t even hit the track yet and the rumor mill is that Aston Martin isn’t very happy with the car and working on a very different one for mid season… It is coming from Franco Nugnes (who doesn’t have a reputation as the most reliable source) by Giorgio Piola (who actually does have a good reputation) agrees.

It is not really a surprise if true: They are still building facilities and onboarding people, we need to give them time, 2024/2025 is more of a realistic target

And let's not forget that Ferrari / Alpine / McLaren have worked quite a lot on 2022

One and Only

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 21:29
The car hasn’t even hit the track yet and the rumor mill is that Aston Martin isn’t very happy with the car and working on a very different one for mid season… It is coming from Franco Nugnes (who doesn’t have a reputation as the most reliable source) by Giorgio Piola (who actually does have a good reputation) agrees.

Maybe that's why they showed the real car, not some bs like RBR.
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk." Tom Waits

michl420

For me it is impossible that they need this big sidepods for cooling (they can accommodate three times as many coolers as last year). One must also assume that the cooler ends at the beginning of the engine, so the rear third is empty. And the louvres for the air are no reasons because they would be even longer/bigger if they were diagonal. The simplest explanation is that they are only there to manage the airflow that goes over and under them. But I read somewhere that the cooler can't be pushed that much inside the fuel cell this year.

AeroDynamic

this angle really shows off the extreme depth of the undercut

TimmTurbo

Andy Green said that The "new" design concept of the coolers is giving them the freedom to reshape the sidebods if necessary. It is to be expected that there is plenty of iterations during the season. In AMuS there is a new article which headlines "AMR22 with flexible concept"

I wonder if there are some shakedown pictures available anytime soon.

PowerandtheGlory

michl420 wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 12:53
For me it is impossible that they need this big sidepods for cooling (they can accommodate three times as many coolers as last year). One must also assume that the cooler ends at the beginning of the engine, so the rear third is empty. And the louvres for the air are no reasons because they would be even longer/bigger if they were diagonal. The simplest explanation is that they are only there to manage the airflow that goes over and under them. But I read somewhere that the cooler can't be pushed that much inside the fuel cell this year.
The larger longer body allows for more consistent DF across the body of the car balancing DF from the underside and overside. Maybe they felt that this would give them a more stable DF profile towards the rear of the car moving the DF centreline backwards. Either wait it’s very typical of cars of the old era with larger flat surfaces on top to put the car in an aero sandwich and giving consistent pressure across more of the body of the racer car…at least it’s not a Fraud like the RB model they showed.. fair play Aston
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Blackout

michl420 wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 12:53
Maybe they ditched the centerline cooling layout and moved it to the back of the sidepods... because the engine cover behind the engine looks much more skinny there.
(So maybe the roll-hoops lateral ducts dont run towards the back of the car anymore, but descend earlier towards the sidepods, like a 2014-2018 STR)

Merc and AM 2021 (motorsport.com - F1i magazine)
Last edited by Blackout on 11 Feb 2022, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

jjn9128

Mat-tes wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 09:37
Another observation on the SIP, the lower one. Looking at the factory video it shows the lower SIP to be right after the ventury tunnel closes. It might look confusing looking at the upper surface of the floor but it looks like the throat of the tunnel closes a lot faster compared to the upper surface that sees a smooth surface, probably to play with the difference in pressure and optimize how the flow behave between the undercut and the ventury.

https://ibb.co/Jn9WdPd
That bottom image is quite good - it shows the shape of the underside of the Venturi inlet quite nicely!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

F1Krof

AMR22 hitting the track. Looks stunning :o :shock:

Wroom wroom

Mat-tes

jjn9128 wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 14:14
Mat-tes wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 09:37

https://ibb.co/Jn9WdPd
That bottom image is quite good - it shows the shape of the underside of the Venturi inlet quite nicely!
Happens exactly at 1:57 in this video:

I'm assuming the underside will be identical for all teams to use most of the regulatory box, no? Unless teams finds it useful to tune the aero balance by managing the entry and exit expansion rate, but I'd assume you'd want to try to max it out regardless and adjust the aero balance with the remaining aero devices available around the car.