Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

Giando wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 14:01
Let's tune here on thursday... there are rumours about something new and very visible on the back of the AMR22 next weekend :mrgreen:
Could it be a new rear suspension from Mercedes?

Giando

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 16:26
Giando wrote:
Let's tune here on thursday... there are rumours about something new and very visible on the back of the AMR22 next weekend :mrgreen:
Nope... according to my sources, it's something new, like they finally have something to show and say: "look, we don't just copy other teams!" :wink: let's see

Ashwinv16

The weird thing about their car is the Pace in Quali cause race pace is good. It's just quali. They need to update the front wing for sure casue no way the high nose wing still works with the new concept. They also have to change the floor and the rear wing for lower drag.
Halo not as bad as we thought

Giando

Ashwinv16 wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 08:32
The weird thing about their car is the Pace in Quali cause race pace is good. It's just quali. They need to update the front wing for sure casue no way the high nose wing still works with the new concept. They also have to change the floor and the rear wing for lower drag.
This is something that intrigues me... I've always thought that in the aero field, if you change huge bodywork parts, like the sidepods, you normally try to optimize the airflow as a whole so then you also re-touch/refine front wing since the airflow passing beneath and through it is somehow going to influence what happens in the mid-section of the car.
It doesn't seem the case nowadays with this new 2022 regulations... because both Williams and Aston Martin have radically changed the entire shape of the sidepods + the underbody + the fences and the tray but they didn't touch the nose and front wing... or the just made very very small tweaks; McLaren almost did the same, even if the air intake of the sidepods remained similar to previous version... What's up then? Is it the ground-effect underbody, which basically reduces the importance of the flow coming out from the front-wing and nose ensemble? Or is it maybe a budget-cap related issue? Or again, something to do with the rules, that maybe forbid to change elements of the front wing more than a certain % during the season?

diffuser

Giando wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 10:42
Ashwinv16 wrote:
This is something that intrigues me... I've always thought that in the aero field, if you change huge bodywork parts, like the sidepods, you normally try to optimize the airflow as a whole so then you also re-touch/refine front wing since the airflow passing beneath and through it is somehow going to influence what happens in the mid-section of the car.
It doesn't seem the case nowadays with this new 2022 regulations... because both Williams and Aston Martin have radically changed the entire shape of the sidepods + the underbody + the fences and the tray but they didn't touch the nose and front wing... or the just made very very small tweaks; McLaren almost did the same, even if the air intake of the sidepods remained similar to previous version... What's up then? Is it the ground-effect underbody, which basically reduces the importance of the flow coming out from the front-wing and nose ensemble? Or is it maybe a budget-cap related issue? Or again, something to do with the rules, that maybe forbid to change elements of the front wing more than a certain % during the season?
Yep, they've changed the regs to the front wing so you can't do anything but create DF on the front with it. It used to be used to create outwash, the Y250 and a bunch of other things. So now, they all run the front wing high enough so it doesn't interfere with the floor. The floor is now doing all that heavy lifting along with the sidepods, notice everyone is making them wider and longer. They'll change the angle of attack or add remove a Gurney flap for more or less DF from teh Front wing but that's about it.

wesley123

Giando wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 10:42
The "you'll have to change the rest of you change something here"-idea was never the case to begin with. Yes, F1 car aerodynamics are hugely complex and deal with very specific flow fields, but there is nothing that would mean solely a front wing change(for example) couldn't bring improvements.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

AR3-GP

Ashwinv16 wrote:
It’s a similar characteristic to the Mercedes. It’s all relative of course but they don’t seem to know what they are doing with the tires. Interesting that Merc and Aston share the same rear suspension and maybe that is a link to the qualy tire woes. Maybe the suspension geometry does not work the tire enough.

holeindalip

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 17:36
Ashwinv16 wrote:
It’s a similar characteristic to the Mercedes. It’s all relative of course but they don’t seem to know what they are doing with the tires. Interesting that Merc and Aston share the same rear suspension and maybe that is a link to the qualy tire woes. Maybe the suspension geometry does not work the tire enough.
I don’t think that they don’t know what they are doing with the tire but their sim said they were 1sec faster than what they were. They probably designed the system for x-amount of downforce but it just never materialized for x-amount of laptime….imo

DivebombDerek

Giando wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 17:41
AR3-GP wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 16:26
Giando wrote:
Nope... according to my sources, it's something new, like they finally have something to show and say: "look, we don't just copy other teams!" :wink: let's see
I will be surprised if there were any big changes coming that one of the biggest teams hasnt already got in some form, even if it looks a bit different.

How do your sources know this, do they work there?

DivebombDerek

Any pics of this 'update' then? Gone a bit quiet on the front Giando!

If AM are still the slowest team now Williams seem to have found some pace then I can understand why Seb called it quits.

Giando

DivebombDerek wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 15:18
Any pics of this 'update' then? Gone a bit quiet on the front Giando!

If AM are still the slowest team now Williams seem to have found some pace then I can understand why Seb called it quits.
Hi there! Still waiting for some pics, too!
And, btw my source is a supplier of the team... i consider him reliable, but let's wait!
Please don't shoot the 'messenger' :D
I am as curious as you mate.

Sidhartha.techie

Don’t have any good image, found this video on twitter

"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna

DivebombDerek

Can't see anything obvious in that video, maybe if it's so visible they're hiding it until FP1.

I'm expecting some crazy floor that's going to blow open a whole new loophole war!

mang0

It’s not being fitted until tomorrow, if it was you’d be able to clearly see the new part. Not sure if it makes P1 yet.

Some information;
- It’s 100% visible
- It will be copied over the next few races (unless banned)
- It’s a ‘different interpretation’ rather than a loophole
- AM aren’t going to be jumping massively up the standings on the back of it

Xyz22