Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LostInTranslation

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Vanja #66 wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 19:33
With so many different tracks, the chassis has shown it works brilliantly everywhere. Sidepods indeed cause no problems with drag (quite contrary, as we've shown here before), the 5-6 km/h top speed difference in Baku is mostly down to RB removing upper beam wing I would guess.

A total of 4 different rear wings are used and the car is always so well ballanced, this shows the engineers did nothing short of a perfect job chassis-wise, both regarding aero and suspension and how the two work together. I don't think the team produced a better chassis (relative to the field) in the last 15 years, maybe even since 2004.
Agree.

I would like to add that, in terms of speed gain on straights, I think SF should focus on the front wing as well. Observing the on board cameras it is evident that the third element of the RB front wing, the highest one, is divided into two sections. The first of these sections, the one attached to the nose, is very short, leaving the second free to flex as speed increases.

The "third element" of SF is also divided in two parts, but with the first section much longer. The floating part, so to speak, being shorter, it lowers much less in the straights, creating more drag.

Someone much better than me in this matter could post some pictures or explanatory videos.

It seems however, and not from today, that RB has a considerable advantage in the use of "elastic" and rigid (stiff) materials at the same time. Otherwise it would not be explained how they manage to pass all the load tests when the car is stationary.

dialtone

LostInTranslation wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 19:33
With so many different tracks, the chassis has shown it works brilliantly everywhere. Sidepods indeed cause no problems with drag (quite contrary, as we've shown here before), the 5-6 km/h top speed difference in Baku is mostly down to RB removing upper beam wing I would guess.

A total of 4 different rear wings are used and the car is always so well ballanced, this shows the engineers did nothing short of a perfect job chassis-wise, both regarding aero and suspension and how the two work together. I don't think the team produced a better chassis (relative to the field) in the last 15 years, maybe even since 2004.
Agree.

I would like to add that, in terms of speed gain on straights, I think SF should focus on the front wing as well. Observing the on board cameras it is evident that the third element of the RB front wing, the highest one, is divided into two sections. The first of these sections, the one attached to the nose, is very short, leaving the second free to flex as speed increases.

The "third element" of SF is also divided in two parts, but with the first section much longer. The floating part, so to speak, being shorter, it lowers much less in the straights, creating more drag.

Someone much better than me in this matter could post some pictures or explanatory videos.

It seems however, and not from today, that RB has a considerable advantage in the use of "elastic" and rigid (stiff) materials at the same time. Otherwise it would not be explained how they manage to pass all the load tests when the car is stationary.
Sky Italia keeps hammering on this too yeah.

Andi76

tpe wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 19:56
And they still haven't solved the porpoising issue!
As all cars have porpoising in Baku, and the old ground-effects cars never solved this problem, it should finally become evident what all technicians say - porpoising will always be an issue with these kind of cars. And that its not about "solving" porpoising- as thats not possible - its all about porpoising not affecting your performance. And obviously the F1-75 leads the field in that regard, while the RB18 leads the field in terms of the lowest amplitude.

Schippke

Andi76 wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 01:34
As all cars have porpoising in Baku, and the old ground-effects cars never solved this problem, it should finally become evident what all technicians say - porpoising will always be an issue with these kind of cars. And that its not about "solving" porpoising- as thats not possible - its all about porpoising not affecting your performance. And obviously the F1-75 leads the field in that regard, while the RB18 leads the field in terms of the lowest amplitude.
Keep in mind that these cars are still very much in their infancy... yes, the teams have had several races to get to know them, but as the development paths are explored, more tracks are visited and more rules are 'potentially exploited', they may very well tame the porpoising as time goes on... maybe not soon or this year, but potentially next year, they may very well... never underestimate what these engineers can come up with!

That being said, you're correct... how the F1-75 goes from bouncing on hydraulics like a low-rider to being as planted as an oak-tree through a bend its hugely impressive; A bucking bronco to a prancing stallion seriously. Compared that to the W13, which is in a similar place bounce wise, recovers but seems to be somewhat unstable when coming into a corner... or on corner exit.

mzso

Andi76 wrote:
tpe wrote:
I don't think that's necessarily ture. If they were to mandate an appropriate difference in height of the (true) bottom and the bottom of the tunnels and sidewalls, it could prevent the airflow from breaking down. Maybe even make it so that decreasing the floor further wont result in any significant gains.

Andi76

mzso wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 19:11
Andi76 wrote:
tpe wrote:
I don't think that's necessarily ture. If they were to mandate an appropriate difference in height of the (true) bottom and the bottom of the tunnels and sidewalls, it could prevent the airflow from breaking down. Maybe even make it so that decreasing the floor further wont result in any significant gains.
Do not know it thats possible. Time will tell if there really is a solution. For they will be able to reduce it to a minimum.

hollus

Winnnig and losing in the team thread instead, thanks!

GrizzleBoy wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 22:09
ferkan wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 22:02
Crushing defeat in last 3 weekends. Its really spiralling now...
Ferrari's inability to remain in championship contention for an entire season without implosion seems set to continue.
Rivals, not enemies.

Ozan

today 2 DNFs for f1-75 and 2 more for ferrari powered cars, are these related to porpoising or another problem?

jagunx51

Last edited by jagunx51 on 13 Jun 2022, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
............!!!!

AR3-GP

That looks like engine oil on the ground. That ICE is toast.

Alonsismo

its very interesting how the engine reliability es very bad since miami update for Leclerc.

sainz got other reliabilty problems, but not engine problems and he dont have the engine upgrade

falonso81

Does Charles still have his PU1 in the pool? Maybe they can use that one for Canada? If they are forced to go to a 3rd PU already, Charles is almost certainly going to need 5 PU's to complete the season, if anything else doesn't blow up still.

Sevach

falonso81 wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 11:28
Does Charles still have his PU1 in the pool? Maybe they can use that one for Canada? If they are forced to go to a 3rd PU already, Charles is almost certainly going to need 5 PU's to complete the season, if anything else doesn't blow up still.
PU1 was used in Monaco i understand, probably in Baku friday, so it's still alive.

basti313

Alonsismo wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 11:14
its very interesting how the engine reliability es very bad since miami update for Leclerc.

sainz got other reliabilty problems, but not engine problems and he dont have the engine upgrade
Well in BCN the TC gave up. Now it is a major ICE damage, which looks and sounded a bit like a hole in the block. I am just a bit surprised that there was no fire at all visible. From purely the smoke my bet would have been also on TC, but the oil is released is too much for coming out at the top like this without fumes.

In any case, the TC and the ICE now are completely different topics. So I do not see how you can relate the two failures to the upgrade. If Ferrari screwed up, the ICE damage is not even a damage inherent to the ICE, but was caused by particles from the old TC that they missed in their inspection.
Don`t russel the hamster!

basti313

falonso81 wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 11:28
They have to do 7-8 races on each engine. Using PU1 does not make much sense, they just risk another DNF and it has less power. Given that the engine has not a general issue (then the season is toast anyways) they now need 4 engines.

The only good solution for this is to take PU3 for the next race. Then take PU4 and maybe another TC at Spa. Then cycle PU3 and 4. Maybe they can use PU1 for something where they anyways have no chance...like Austria, but I see not much sense in this.
Don`t russel the hamster!