Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Charles has a different (all new) rear wing compared to Carlos, suppousedly lower drag.

Beam wing also slightly different.

JPBD1990

Finally a comparo of the old vs new beam wing

Sevach

Ferrari all of a sudden has a bunch of wings...

Barcelona/Monaco- Max downforce.
Montreal (Carlos)- Medium high.
Montreal (Charles)- Medium low.
Baku- Low drag.

Too bad we didn't get a good comparison between the 2 versions in terms of pace, Charles topped the speed trap while Carlos was 15th some 11 KPH slower (tow and other things might've influenced this gap).

GrrG

Old

New

JPower

nico5

JPower wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 15:33
It makes sense. I think Montreal is a rear-limited track but one of a different kind to, say, Baku or Bahrain. T6-7 and T8-9 are higher-speed traction phases with lateral load which tend to punish front-biased setups even more with overheating of the rears. The price to pay is poor(er, relatively) traction out of low speed like T10 where CL struggled all race.
Silverstone as a front-limited track is generally less punishing for that aero balance, as long as you can keep sliding in check. A good example is 2020, Ferrari went for a very low df rear wing, got the best result of the season pace-wise and everyone followed down that road for race 2 a week later.
But yeah, this wing should put Ferrari and RB on the same level in terms of straightline speed (if RB don't move to their low df spec, but that doesn't seem like a great idea) and then it will be the straight fight that can go both ways we've been looking forward to (or I, at least, have).

zioture

Formula 1 Garage 89

Spoutnik

carisi2k

nico5 wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 16:06
JPower wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 15:33
It makes sense. I think Montreal is a rear-limited track but one of a different kind to, say, Baku or Bahrain. T6-7 and T8-9 are higher-speed traction phases with lateral load which tend to punish front-biased setups even more with overheating of the rears. The price to pay is poor(er, relatively) traction out of low speed like T10 where CL struggled all race.
Silverstone as a front-limited track is generally less punishing for that aero balance, as long as you can keep sliding in check. A good example is 2020, Ferrari went for a very low df rear wing, got the best result of the season pace-wise and everyone followed down that road for race 2 a week later.
But yeah, this wing should put Ferrari and RB on the same level in terms of straightline speed (if RB don't move to their low df spec, but that doesn't seem like a great idea) and then it will be the straight fight that can go both ways we've been looking forward to (or I, at least, have).
But will Ferrari lose there cornering prowess going to this rear wing. In Canada Charles lack traction out of the corners with this lower downforce rear wing.

aleks_ader

Its endless compromise. I think Ferrari as a team is quite experienced in such compromises and setups. Especially last years experience with "low drag" packages.

This year is quite obvious that RW plays huge role how underfloor interact with it. And yeah i almost forgot beam wing is crucial in that aspect also (even more). So teams can modify actual floor extraction on whole diffusor perimeter by RW AoA and flex quite dramatically.

Beam wing is very sensitive device. That would explain why Ferrari dint change it so often this year till now. Its geometry becomes quite intricate. Its obvious they wanna make car more racier in race conditions even when in off position. Beam wing is seemingly more shallow in maybe even have even more cross-span flow. But that is huge speculation. Best deal would be efficient floor with smallest RW as possible.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

zokipirlo

carisi2k wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 11:03
But will Ferrari lose there cornering prowess going to this rear wing. In Canada Charles lack traction out of the corners with this lower downforce rear wing.
Maybe with new floor they will increase df with lower ride height and so they can decrease df from rear wing.

chrisc90

zokipirlo wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 21:44
carisi2k wrote:
Maybe with new floor they will increase df with lower ride height and so they can decrease df from rear wing.
Do you want more downforce off the floor though?

Given its a huge overall concept, if you have too much downforce off the floor, surely that would lead to increased porpoising because the air under the floor stalls. Gifted you could put less downforce on the rear wing to enable less drag, but in my inexperienced view its a fine balancing act between having too much downforce and not enough. Im not sure if I would want a larger item such as the floor (that isnt really very easily changed) to bring me the most downforce.

We've heard rumours that the Merc floor brings in quite a bit of downforce which could have possibly led to their issues with the porpoising.

Id say any floor work would be with how the air flow is managed upon entry and through the floor, much like how we seen the RB floor from Baku (and monaco) with fancy bits in it for better airflow.

ryaan2904

chrisc90 wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 21:51
zokipirlo wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 21:44
carisi2k wrote:
Do you want more downforce off the floor though?

Given its a huge overall concept, if you have too much downforce off the floor, surely that would lead to increased porpoising because the air under the floor stalls. Gifted you could put less downforce on the rear wing to enable less drag, but in my inexperienced view its a fine balancing act between having too much downforce and not enough. Im not sure if I would want a larger item such as the floor (that isnt really very easily changed) to bring me the most downforce.

We've heard rumours that the Merc floor brings in quite a bit of downforce which could have possibly led to their issues with the porpoising.

Id say any floor work would be with how the air flow is managed upon entry and through the floor, much like how we seen the RB floor from Baku (and monaco) with fancy bits in it for better airflow.
I've heard that its the sudden vertical expansion of air from the diffuser or the so called 'diffuser-kick' thats causing porpoising. The steeper the angle of the diffuser, the harsher the bouncing.
But that doesnt mean that ur ideal case of small RWs and bulk floor df isnt possible. The article i read said that one of the reasons RB doesnt have porpoising issues is because they have a very smooth diffuser angle without any sudden change in floor curvature. Instead, theyve focused more on getting horizontal expansion of air along with the vertical for peak downforce.
If u remember the diffuser shapes from last yr, they forced the air 'up and out' rather than mostly up as with this yr's diffusers.
CFD Eyes of Sauron