Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zioture

Re: Ferrari F1-75

bathtub hasn’t changed.

F1NAC

Well opening behind exhaust is slimmer definitely

zioture

Yes, of course, but it was fair to point out that the sidepods are the same, I read from the Italian press of new sidepods since Spain, then sent back to Silverstone. But if anyone manages to disprove what I wrote, they can send a comparison photo with the modified bellies. Ferrari only changed the hood near the exhaust

Foto via Albert Fabrega

Sevach

Seanspeed wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 17:16
Sevach wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 17:01
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... -75-1.webp

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... -75-1.webp

Sidepod seems more rounded(and perhaps a little tighter) allowing better airflow on the floor.
Not really seeing it at all. Some comparison pictures from back in testing:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNjaYpwWQAA ... name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNfl9B6WQAI ... name=large

If there are any changes, they're either incredibly subtle or just in areas we still cant quite see properly yet.
Honestly i can see that it looks more rounded while the previous version had an obvious "kink".

gordonthegun

The initial part of the sidepods, after the air intake, is thinner. It can also be seen that the tip of the safety cone protrudes a little.

This way was in Spain:

Last edited by gordonthegun on 01 Jul 2022, 20:48, edited 2 times in total.

Sansovino

gordonthegun wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 19:54
The initial part of the sidepods, after the air intake, is thinner. It can also be seen that the tip of the safety cone protrudes a little.

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ail-1.webp

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ail-1.webp
Don't think the little bulge is the SIS, but yeah the undercut is noticeably tighter.

f300v10

gordonthegun wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 19:54
Well spotted, the undercut below the sided inlet is definitely more pronounced.

gordonthegun

The engine cover profile, where the fin starts, seems different, too.
It is taller just behind the engine air inlet and then it drops down quickly.
Last edited by gordonthegun on 01 Jul 2022, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

Fer.Fan

Tubeprofile sidepod edge looks different as well.

f1316

Yeah, all of these are subtle (which is what was reported since Spain) but noticeable differences - exactly as Ferrari described it tbh: it’s the undercut and the coke bottle (look at the Santander branding in the above) that have been refined, tightened and the cooling louvres made flatter.

ringo

Seems to have a more swept back opening. Look on the mirror stalk compared to the radiator duct.

The bath tub is also deeper in the sidepods.
For Sure!!

aleks_ader

I love how methodical Ferrari became in its updates. Not only 2021 was common sense stuff. This year they clearly done its homework and they dont deviate from it. Even WCC and WDC situation would insinuate otherwise.

0. PU performance all above else - "if issues arise we will fix it at cost of fail and solve it under >>free<< reliability claims".
1. Modularity has taken priority like nose, other panelling. Under cost cap quite sensible decision. Doesn't matter if they dint change many things in those area. Mere thought, foresight counts and "just in case" works wonders for little penalty. Sure u gain more complexity and perf hit in some areas directly - but u reduce R&D cost for future updates. For example if u need to do some work around crash zones and similar certification heavy developments, you are not really locked into tight constraint and heavy in season money spend.
2.0 - First they develop updates per SET of races and not in rolling way like was years before
2. Concentrate budget cap R&D towards aero development only. And made clear order of importance in area of studies. From all updates till now i got impression Ferrari aero R&D works like that:
2.I. - floor edges performance first - all first updates were only floor related
2.II - then floor tunnels with diffusor + beam wings + RW is deeply studied
2.III - Now they grabbed low hanging fruit in cooling optimizations - normally that means opening or tightening main bodyworks surfacing

In parallel u do structural aeroelasticity, vehicle dynamics and performance assessments over simulations and driver in loop systems. PU is out of cost cap and its development is almost same like before. Sure some components that are frozen and you do mainly "reliability" runs on those components. Still if initial development of frozen components is set high and you leave less on table more can be introduced with reliability upgrade down the line...

So what's is next, what they will work from now onwards?
I think they will gather data of course. I m quite tempted to say just do another iteration loop back to the 2.I point. Maybe do that till end of season. After season ends you will have plethora solutions, ideas all over the grid and then you reassess if there are better ways to do things.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

gordonthegun

ringo wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 00:01
Seems to have a more swept back opening. Look on the mirror stalk compared to the radiator duct.

The bath tub is also deeper in the sidepods.
The mirror stalk has been moved more internally from this weekend.
Look at the mirror end, instead.
I think it'a a matter of different angles in which the photos were taken.

RZS10

It's def. just the angle - the same effect is on the triangle airbox inlet, it appears way wider because the camera is more forward relative to the other image.