Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
Apexseal157
Apexseal157
0
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:36 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

the front wing flaps on the merc seem to flex a lot more than its competitors, cant get pics now but it looks like pretty significant deflection

Apexseal157
Apexseal157
0
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:36 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

video of front wing flex with the new wing update in miami

User avatar
hollus
Moderator
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

Once more. Please, posts like
"will they qualify in the top 4"
"now they can keep up with RB"
"Wins should be possible now"
"They'll outqualify Ferrari"
or even
"no longer sucks".

Do not belong in the car threads. Please make an effort to keep the car threads clean. Only posts about things physically in the car, in the right car, in the car threads. Thanks you. essentially: car threads should be hardware centered and race result agnostic. Car threads should not even know that there is this race thing going on every two weeks.

All other posts are OK, but kindly post them in the race thread, team thread, comparison thread, etc.

Help keep the car threads informative, information dense and focused. Likely hat is what brought you to this site in the first place...
I would like to see a paleontologist.

User avatar
siskue2005
70
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

Apexseal157 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 1:02 pm
video of front wing flex with the new wing update in miami
All front wings flex ever since the first GP

Image

User avatar
Spacepace
1
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

siskue2005 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:46 am
Spacepace wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:15 am
Looks like there may possibly be stays bonded in the floor. You can see in the the third image the third carbon fiber slit is angled and in the fourth image a mechanic placed a helmet on top of it

https://imgur.com/gallery/YQcAbxQ
See my previous post
siskue2005 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:23 pm
there are interesting floor changes in that merc... are they running hidden stays like redbull?
[url]https://serving.photos.photobox.co ... 422d2a.jpg [/url]
The floor top cover has become taller, and i think there are hidden stays like this
[url]https://serving.photos.photobox.co ... 5d392e.jpg [/url]
Yeah that's what made me take notice. I just happened to catch that on Ted's pit practice video

User avatar
Spacepace
1
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

mantikos wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:16 am
Spacepace wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:15 am
Looks like there may possibly be stays bonded in the floor. You can see in the the third image the third carbon fiber slit is angled and in the fourth image a mechanic placed a helmet on top of it

https://imgur.com/gallery/YQcAbxQ
No, that's just where they mounted the sensors on the floor - go back to the launch spec car and look in that area.
That seems plausible as well. But a mechanic did purposely put a helmet on the bent slit after he noticed the camera

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
494
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

jagunx51 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 9:41 am
Image
What in the world is that white cover on the fuel tank?

Is it because they have the radiators indented in the chassis that they have to prevent the hot air from heating the fuel and that is some sort of high temp foam insulation?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌

====Zen level====
|||||||<@>||^||<@>|||||||

mantikos
mantikos
33
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

Spacepace wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 1:27 pm
mantikos wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:16 am
Spacepace wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:15 am
Looks like there may possibly be stays bonded in the floor. You can see in the the third image the third carbon fiber slit is angled and in the fourth image a mechanic placed a helmet on top of it

https://imgur.com/gallery/YQcAbxQ
No, that's just where they mounted the sensors on the floor - go back to the launch spec car and look in that area.
That seems plausible as well. But a mechanic did purposely put a helmet on the bent slit after he noticed the camera
And in previous years the used to consistently put a tool tray there when the floor was flat. I kmow we want to imagine things, but there's no reason to hide a stay anyway even if it was there, except, it's not.

mantikos
mantikos
33
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 1:57 pm
What in the world is that white cover on the fuel tank?

Is it because they have the radiators indented in the chassis that they have to prevent the hot air from heating the fuel and that is some sort of high temp foam insulation?
Plausible explanation - also probably doesn't hurt internal airflow drag to have a smooth shape there.

AA_2019
AA_2019
2
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:53 am

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

Spacepace wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 1:26 pm
siskue2005 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:46 am
Spacepace wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:15 am
Looks like there may possibly be stays bonded in the floor. You can see in the the third image the third carbon fiber slit is angled and in the fourth image a mechanic placed a helmet on top of it

https://imgur.com/gallery/YQcAbxQ
See my previous post
siskue2005 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:23 pm
there are interesting floor changes in that merc... are they running hidden stays like redbull?
[url]https://serving.photos.photobox.co ... 422d2a.jpg [/url]
The floor top cover has become taller, and i think there are hidden stays like this
[url]https://serving.photos.photobox.co ... 5d392e.jpg [/url]
Yeah that's what made me take notice. I just happened to catch that on Ted's pit practice video
For sure they have stiffened the floor with hidden stays as RB

If only they had copied what works earlier.

According to Ted Kravitz, Mercedes has solved their bouncing problems by stiffening the floor. Looks like they were looking too deep and the solution was right under their nose - successfully applied to other teams before.

Henri
Henri
-4
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:58 am

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

The zero sidepod is slower than the sidepod spec from testing qualifying proved it.. they need to switch back 😼

User avatar
F1Krof
83
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

Henri wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:10 am
The zero sidepod is slower than the sidepod spec from testing qualifying proved it.. they need to switch back 😼
Different track conditions. I wouldn't count on testing times.
Wroom wroom

cheeRS
cheeRS
8
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

F1Krof wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:17 am
Henri wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:10 am
The zero sidepod is slower than the sidepod spec from testing qualifying proved it.. they need to switch back 😼
Different track conditions. I wouldn't count on testing times.
Also, which tires were they on during their fastest testing times vs Q3?

User avatar
organic
34
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:24 am
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

cheeRS wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:31 am
F1Krof wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:17 am
Henri wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:10 am
The zero sidepod is slower than the sidepod spec from testing qualifying proved it.. they need to switch back 😼
Different track conditions. I wouldn't count on testing times.
Also, which tires were they on during their fastest testing times vs Q3?
C5 in testing Vs C3 in Q3 today

silver
silver
5
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:50 am

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

organic wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 1:28 am
cheeRS wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:31 am
F1Krof wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:17 am


Different track conditions. I wouldn't count on testing times.
Also, which tires were they on during their fastest testing times vs Q3?
C5 in testing Vs C3 in Q3 today
C5 would be gone before sector 1 is over on this track. C3 in these conditions on this track is better performing tyre than C5. I am not sure if they ran empty tank in winter testing like they did here in quali. You can say C5 in winter conditions is on par with C3 in the current conditions on this track.