Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gandharva

Re: Red Bull RB18

Andi76

RZS10 wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 19:55
The apparently raised floor towards the center of the car is visible here:
https://i.imgur.com/n8Lrdqj.png
New vs. Monaco
Looks pretty similar to what Ferrari did with their Barcelona Update. They also raised the floor. It also seems like RBR has changed the upper flap of the frontwing. Looks more angular and less rounded above the B'T. Maybe to get more air to the changed higher tunnel entrance?

organic

Andi76 wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 05:36
RZS10 wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 19:55
The apparently raised floor towards the center of the car is visible here:
https://i.imgur.com/n8Lrdqj.png
New vs. Monaco
Looks pretty similar to what Ferrari did with their Barcelona Update. They also raised the floor. It also seems like RBR has changed the upper flap of the frontwing. Looks more angular and less rounded above the B'T. Maybe to get more air to the changed higher tunnel entrance?
Front wing flaps look like they're identical to those used at Jeddah. Looks like a circuit/downforce specific change

organic

Kyle has analysed the RB floor

He discusses much of what I've been curious about, especially the steps on the keel which we've also seen on the McLaren

michl420

lucafo wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 19:36
I notice this grill inside the cooling volume.
Maybe is this assumption correct?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202206 ... 22504f.jpg
I don`t think by the blue arrow is a hole. It is just a max cooling outlet which is partially covert.

AeroDynamic

chrstphrln

I'm curious to see how long the development at RB will continue at this pace.
I suspect towards the end of the season there will be a lot of discussion about the budget cap and penalties.

djones

Somewhat off-topic, but I think the budget cap is totally unenforceable.

There are likely 50+ ways around it that a huge and rich company like Redbull could use.

It will even be down to things like the building they are in. Let's say for example that costs £1,000,000 a year. Well, all that has to happen is Redbull the drinks company pays that and sub-lets the building to the race team for £1 a year.

A crude example, but there will be MANY ways around the cap.

Expect to see zero reduction in development over the year.

chrisc90

Maybe it’s small and regular, rather than a big package and not very often.

bosyber

djones wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 11:42
Somewhat off-topic, but I think the budget cap is totally unenforceable.

There are likely 50+ ways around it that a huge and rich company like Redbull could use.

It will even be down to things like the building they are in. Let's say for example that costs £1,000,000 a year. Well, all that has to happen is Redbull the drinks company pays that and sub-lets the building to the race team for £1 a year.

A crude example, but there will be MANY ways around the cap.

Expect to see zero reduction in development over the year.
That's asking for trouble if they haven't done that before, it is exactly what the auditors would be questioning. Fudging with how much of the extra inflation is calculated to the team, yes okay, they might have ways in which their contracts allow for a fixed/capped 'service costs' for facilities, but another party (than the team) taking over, that seems like asking for trouble.

Did you read Wolff's talk about power costs etc.? Ferrari has those too, and both of those teams will be eager to (threaten) question(s) if Red Bull plays around in that area, they have the business consultants and lawyers for it. Same the other way though from Red Bull towards those two, so let's hope none of the teams try that sort of stuff, it would put a lot of pressure on the FIA to not handle that badly.

organic

Woah, a large single element beam wing.

Undeclared in scrutineering document, and haven't seen a beam wing like this so far in 2022 afaik

Maybe a low downforce configuration for their beam wing?

paulo_f1

I'm pretty sure it's not actually a design change at all; e.g. they've just removed the other beam wing element for lower drag on the long straights.

bosyber

paulo_f1 wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 15:59
I'm pretty sure it's not actually a design change at all; e.g. they've just removed the other beam wing element for lower drag on the long straights.
Given the shape looking quite similar, and the requirement to list new bits, that indeed seems likely. Also, that saves a bit of money too.

organic

Some top notch analysis of the red bull baku package

Also has a better angle showing clearly that the single element beam wing is a different shape to the lower element of the higher df beam wing

etusch

chrstphrln wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 11:34
I'm curious to see how long the development at RB will continue at this pace.
I suspect towards the end of the season there will be a lot of discussion about the budget cap and penalties.
they build a finance team for that. If the f team didn't plan whole season spendings for every department of the racing team then that means they are very unaffective and useless. I think Redbull is one of the best from operational aspect and will do it in the budget.