Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Red Bull RB18

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 04:09
ringo wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 02:32
organic wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 01:17

https://i.imgur.com/Gt5XALO.jpeg

Is this what you wanted?
Wanted to know which are water radiators, oil cooler, intercooler etc.
Just taking an educated stab from vague recollections:
The intercooler itself will not be visible since it's a liquid cooler nested between the turbo and the intake at the front of the engine (so basically like a Merc). The cooler in center in the picture above is likely the heat exchanger for the intercooler. The engine water coolers are likely in the sidepods.
:?:
RB and AT are still using air-air intercoolers, one in each sidepod

organic

Not all updates work at Red Bull. On the RB18 of Verstappen the old bottom is mounted with the innovations introduced in the last GPs rejected while Perez has the new bottom but the innermost diverter is not cut like in Austria
Max has the old floor used at Canada on his car lacking the "Ferrari cutout" used at Silverstone & Austria. Seems they have also ditched the adjustment brought to Austria on the inboard floor fence leading edge (it had a section joined onto it, rather than cut as the tweet says) on both cars. My guess is that the adjustment to the fence was to alter the balance of the car but it contributed too much to the excessive tyre wear

Carbon fibre support struts brought earlier in the season are again absent (which disappeared at Austria) and the old titanium remains
Last edited by organic on 22 Jul 2022, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

organic

RB have ditched their double bargeboard arrangement at their floor edge. Will need more photos to 100% confirm but I believe they now use 3 of their fences for managing underbody flow, as the other teams also do

Silverstone to compare. You can see here they only use 2 floor fences under the floor, and 2 taller outboard fences. Probably the largest floor change RB have made since the start of the season.
Last edited by organic on 22 Jul 2022, 13:11, edited 2 times in total.

Owen.C93

Yes you can see the old setup here.

New:
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

gandharva

organic wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 12:56
https://i.imgur.com/TxxmvDB.png
Floor Fences
Reason for change: Performance – local load
Difference: “Revised fence geometries extending to the floor edge”
Description: “The fence layout has changed to re-distribute the local pressure distributions to improve load whilst maintaining the flow stability.”

Rear Corner
Reason for change: Performance – local load
Difference: “Revised upper wing cascade.”
Description: “A revision to the upper winglet cascade to gain local load without disruption to lower wing cascade or the adjacent brake duct exit.”

Henk_v

Well, doesnt that make AM look stupid ;)

This change must have been already in the works at the time AM brought their double bargeboard...

BlueCheetah66

Now that is interesting

organic

organic

Looks a little bit understeery again. Update was suggested by Scarbs to reduce front load/ shift balance rearwards again and it may have done so.

The car is very efficient this weekend though, from the numbers in the traps

johnny comelately

at 17 minutes to go in FP1, the 33 red bull is running more ground clearance and still quick.
seems like less wing too with +10kph in the traps
Last edited by johnny comelately on 22 Jul 2022, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

RZS10

Are they running different floors on their cars? This is what caught my eye during FP1 and i got (rather grainy low quality) screengrabs - even the outermost strake is not a 'bargeboard' anymore on car #1.

Fabrega's images show that there's a floor which has gone from 2 to 1

edit: it broke off apparently, see two posts down
Last edited by RZS10 on 22 Jul 2022, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.

organic

RZS10 wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 14:46
Are they running different floors on their cars? This is what caught my eye during FP1 and i got (rather grainy low quality) screengrabs - even the outermost strake is not a 'bargeboard' anymore on car #1.
https://i.imgur.com/jcxylWN.png

Fabrega's images show that there's a floor which has gone from 2 to 1
That is so odd. The photo I analysed before cars were on track had the floor with the larger bargeboard with new floor geometry. The one in your screengrabs is very surprising... Perhaps they made the outboard strake part modular on this new floor so they can alter it/remove it ?
Last edited by organic on 22 Jul 2022, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.

RZS10

Looks like it broke off, this was the other side of the car from that run

Looks to be a weak point as they taped up the still attached side
Last edited by RZS10 on 22 Jul 2022, 14:58, edited 2 times in total.

Owen.C93

I think it fell off.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

ringo

Henk_v wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 09:30
They have two sets of channels stacked, Hot water enters at the top, on the other side is a helder that puts the liquid in the lower channels and the cool liquid comes from the lower manifold. Thats quite common in het exchangers
Yes a two pass heat exchanger. So 3 coolers up top.
There are 3 liquids running through different sections. The top one is low pressure (i guess intercooler coolant), the lower are high pressure. So likely oil or fuel. Might i guess gearbox oil and fuel? Engine oil cooling would be low on the car and the lower section of the top cooler is closest to the gearbox, the middle section piping sugests fuel return.
I believe you are not permitted to cool fuel.

I was wondering about the water weight so high on the car, but if the tubes are small, there might not be much weight up top.

Intercooler water radiator,
engine oil,
gearbox/diff oil,
hydraulic oil,
ERS maybe as well.
3 of these things.
For Sure!!