Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Red Bull RB18

No. not th driver. Remember Checo is not on the car, but he does well at stepping aside and playing #2.
For Sure!!

Stu

Reveal it now! We need something to discuss during the summer break.

Off topic point….
How do the FIA monitor communications during the break?
Company email is relatively easy, Social media is very easy (unless users have a lot of sock accounts), WhatsApp is not easy.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Big Tea

Stu wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 07:53
Reveal it now! We need something to discuss during the summer break.

Off topic point….
How do the FIA monitor communications during the break?
Company email is relatively easy, Social media is very easy (unless users have a lot of sock accounts), WhatsApp is not easy.
Power consumption at the works? Before and after readings or just the bill on the balance sheet year end?

This does not cover 'thinking' but that is not possible
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sieper

ringo wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 07:03
No. not th driver. Remember Checo is not on the car, but he does well at stepping aside and playing #2.
True, yesterday at race begin and also right after the spin it was clear Checo went out of his way to not mess Max up. In fact, at that spin it helped Max a lot That Checo was there to keep George at bay (at cost of his own place).

Silent Storm

Sieper wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 12:20
ringo wrote:
True, yesterday at race begin and also right after the spin it was clear Checo went out of his way to not mess Max up. In fact, at that spin it helped Max a lot That Checo was there to keep George at bay (at cost of his own place).
Checo was ahead of Max at the start of the race, if you check the onboard Max overtook Checo.
After his spin max had the inside line and was still ahead of checo, which is why checo had DRS but Russel was fast and would have overtaken Checo anyway.
The driver made the difference on Sunday.
Checo was able to match Max on laptime but took his own sweet time to overtake.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Sieper

Silent Storm wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 12:41
Sieper wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 12:20
ringo wrote:
Checo was ahead of Max at the start of the race, if you check the onboard Max overtook Checo.
After his spin max had the inside line and was still ahead of checo, which is why checo had DRS but Russel was fast and would have overtaken Checo anyway.
The driver made the difference on Sunday.
Checo was able to match Max on laptime but took his own sweet time to overtake.
Plus, that was only as Max was driving to a delta. But we are off topic.

Henk_v

ringo wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 19:00
There is another trick in this car aerodynamically. But I will not reveal until they win the championship.
It's quite ubiquitous on the car. :)

edit: Not a trick. More of a philosophy.
I'd say stepped slopes. On the sidepod, on the floor behind the bargeboard, on the plank area, on the tunnels...

As most vortex shedding geometries are banned or restricted they resorted to this stepped slope approach that all generate (large, relatively slow) vortices in the same rotational direction making it easier to spin up specific vortices from the limited surfaces they can use.

That would be my guess...

Hazmat

Ellipses… ;-)

Stu

Hazmat wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:01
Ellipses… ;-)
An ellipse is a 2D shape, what is the 3D equivalent?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Zynerji

Stu wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:27
Hazmat wrote:
Ellipses… ;-)
A 4d Julia set?🤔

Airshifter

Stu wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:27
Hazmat wrote:
Ellipses… ;-)
An ellipsoid.

Not to be confused with an ovoid.

Both unlikely to be used on a Formula 1 car in complete form unless very small.

I should be an aerodynamicist!

Vanja #66

ringo wrote:
There is another trick in this car aerodynamically. But I will not reveal until they win the championship.

It generates boundary layer on the ground? :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

ringo

Henk_v wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 09:42
ringo wrote:

I'd say stepped slopes. On the sidepod, on the floor behind the bargeboard, on the plank area, on the tunnels...

As most vortex shedding geometries are banned or restricted they resorted to this stepped slope approach that all generate (large, relatively slow) vortices in the same rotational direction making it easier to spin up specific vortices from the limited surfaces they can use.

That would be my guess...
Yes correct. Note they have further defined these on the upper surface of the floor. It's also underneath the floor.
It's a certain level of refinement that i dont think the other teams are ready to implement in the same detail. they have bigger issues.

I have not investigated what they actually do.
It may not be related to vortices. I have no clue. But the team seem very confident in the effect.

People make light of the ellipse theory, but indeed these Newey cars use this philisophy for years. It's simply the most aerodynamically efficient geometry. Also proven in some cfd comparisions i did years ago.
For Sure!!

ringo

Vanja #66 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 21:40
ringo wrote:

It generates boundary layer on the ground? :)
Lol. Who knows?!
For Sure!!

Henk_v

ringo wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 21:48
I have not investigated what they actually do.
It may not be related to vortices. I have no clue. But the team seem very confident in the effect.
A sloping surface next to another surface will create downwash (in the case of the sidepods). This air going down needs something to fill up the void, creating a transfers flow on the upper surface. You are left with two angular flows (downwash and "sidewash ") that will fold into a vortex. Its not a violent, compact, powerful but you can move a large volume of air. That you can put to great use. Its also not that sensitive to yaw.

Creating downforce is done by accellarating air below the car. But that is only useful if it accelerates relative to the air above the car. Slowing down air above the car effectively without much drag is what i suspect is the key.

Having a big vortex around the sidepods may cause more of the air over the car to downwash onto the diffuser. The trick is to smash all your dirty stuff against the back wheels and have clean powerful air on the diffuser and beam wing.

As i suggested in an earlier post, the stepped slopes on the rear of the plank area may help the air stick to the agressively sloped beam wing.