Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Big Tea

Re: Red Bull RB18

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 10:43
Wouter wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 10:40
Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 22:54

Red Bull fans aren't happy with that answer. Big down vote campaign.

Guys, if you disagree, then discuss it, don't just hide behind a downvote and associated comment. :roll:
Tell that to your Mercedes friends who gave you the same amount of upvotes! They didn't discus it, just gave upvotes!
I don't have any friends on the forum. It's an internet forum, I've never met anyone on here IRL.
I thought we were ALL friends here ( I have led a sheltered life though)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

aral

Any chance of some posts that are actually on topic? it would make a nice change.

Wouter

aral wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 13:27
Any chance of some posts that are actually on topic? it would make a nice change.
Hi @Aral, long time no see. Nice to see you are back! 👍
The Power of Dreams!

vorticism

𓄀

Sieper

The way I see it getting your wing to fold as much as possible is always an advantage, no matter what you do with the air downstream. Why not copy the best. They have done so with that underfloor splitter mini wing.

Henk_v

I did not intend to start the discussion above. I just enjoy the clever things we get to see and was hoping te get to see some exciting stuff on the RB front wing.

I really enjoyed to see the AM rear wing. Its a thrill to see such clever stuff. The RB front wing just seems a bit underdeveloped and i hope to see something sweet.

AR3-GP

Henk_v wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 20:47
I did not intend to start the discussion above. I just enjoy the clever things we get to see and was hoping te get to see some exciting stuff on the RB front wing.

I really enjoyed to see the AM rear wing. Its a thrill to see such clever stuff. The RB front wing just seems a bit underdeveloped and i hope to see something sweet.
Under this budget cap, the floor is the best bang for your buck. We might not see the front wing change again until next season (although I suspect Spa will be a revision).

Henk_v

One could also argue that the RB lead is large enough to stop major upgrading and spend resources on the 23 car. Just implement whats in the pipeline. Even if the competition improves a bit, it will not be enough to change the season outcome, unless it is radical. So far in the season that is unlikely.

Even if ferrari manages to get a pace advantage, they'll not manage a 1-2 finish every race and with the reliability issues and pending grid penalty's for changing engine parts, there will be enough opportunity to score good points for RB to keep the lead healthy.

If you have some rulebenders up your sleeve, they'll be costly to develop and are likely short-term advantages. If they'd introduce something like the AM rear wing, it will be either counterd by a TD or start of next season everybody will have had time to develop it. Better save it for a rainy day. Or get it on the car the 1st race in 2023 to build a lead early in the season.

Big Tea

Henk_v wrote:
17 Aug 2022, 11:31
One could also argue that the RB lead is large enough to stop major upgrading and spend resources on the 23 car. Just implement whats in the pipeline. Even if the competition improves a bit, it will not be enough to change the season outcome, unless it is radical. So far in the season that is unlikely.

Even if ferrari manages to get a pace advantage, they'll not manage a 1-2 finish every race and with the reliability issues and pending grid penalty's for changing engine parts, there will be enough opportunity to score good points for RB to keep the lead healthy.

If you have some rulebenders up your sleeve, they'll be costly to develop and are likely short-term advantages. If they'd introduce something like the AM rear wing, it will be either counterd by a TD or start of next season everybody will have had time to develop it. Better save it for a rainy day. Or get it on the car the 1st race in 2023 to build a lead early in the season.
Most of what they learn by developing this car will be directly transferable to next years car (and most future cars).
It is not just done and dusted and a new one out of the box next year with no connections to this years car, but there may be 'Option A' or 'Option B' we are unsure for next year, which will be worth them trying out, even if it is not raced this year. This of course depends on how much they are under the cost cap.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

RZS10

Did anyone who claims the RB wing is "inactive" or that one or the other FW on a competitor's car flexes more ever actually have a deeper look at them, ever did an analysis of them or compared them?

I did a comparison of the top3 during testing, there was no outlier: viewtopic.php?p=1044613&hilit=link#p1044613
Sieper wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 13:46
Yep, that MB front wing simply has an inside part, and an outside part, that butt up to eachother via two steel plates that slide very easily against eachother.

I thought the elements were a mandated one piece this year, apparently not, so let’s copy that.
The cars have those connections in order to make the wings adjustable, all cars have them.
At the beginning of the season the RB was (and still is) one of those who have it further inwards, Merc is somewhere in the middle, Ferrari have them further outwards, some chose to have the adjustor on the inside and those connections on the outside - i don't know if any team really changed that but that's beside the point.
viewtopic.php?p=1036133#p1036133

Since the beginning of the season there have been some changes, the top3 seemingly increased the level of flex relative to their earlier FW versions (edit: for the RB18 see second gif), the RB arguably having the most flexible one of the three, I might go back and do a comprehensive comparison of all the wings i managed to record footage of so far but that wouldn't go in this thread [edit: here it is], and i think that's enough of a detour to car comparison territory.

Coming back to the car in question ... this is from Canada, recorded in FP1

"two steel plates that slide very easily against eachother" at low and high speed:

Red is low speed (last frame of the gif below):

Green is roughly an average deflection:

Yellow is the extreme the wing is capable of bending to (frame 43):

In movement:

Comparison of the average deflection in Canada to what the wing was doing in testing, keeping in mind that it's a different design, different position of the elements etc etc - it's roughly x2:

From the newer gif, 1:05.2, showing it's at the green line, not the extreme yellow.

So in conclusion: Red Bull is not the disadvantaged party here, they do not have to copy any flexing or solutions from others since they're rather at the forefront of pushing what is possible and obviously still considered legal (not that anyone thinks i believe it's not) by the FIA.
aral wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 13:27
Yes hello :)

p.s.:
This is the movement of their nose tip or probably rather the vanity cover on the nose tip
Last edited by RZS10 on 19 Aug 2022, 20:34, edited 3 times in total.

Just_a_fan

RZS10 wrote:
17 Aug 2022, 12:56
Did anyone who claims the RB wing is "inactive" or that one or the other FW on a competitor's car flexes more ever actually have a deeper look at them, ever did an analysis of them or compared them?
[...]
An excellent piece of work. Ought to put the whole subject to bed.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

RZS10 wrote:

p.s.:
This is the movement of their nose tip or probably rather the vanity cover on the nose tip
https://i.imgur.com/zADl4Ie.gif
The really interesting bit here is the nose is moving underneath, so the entire assembly is flexing rather than just the vanity part on top.
Felipe Baby!

RZS10

Potentially a tiny bit, yes - but their flaps don't seem to be connected to the core, so the outer shell might move without the crash structure doing so (?)

Sieper

SiLo wrote:
17 Aug 2022, 16:24
RZS10 wrote:

p.s.:
https://i.imgur.com/zADl4Ie.gif
The really interesting bit here is the nose is moving underneath, so the entire assembly is flexing rather than just the vanity part on top.
The whole nose seems to flex down a bit under aero load, but that seems not intended as that would actually increase the angle of attack of the FW elements the faster you go. Which only results in drag, you don’t need extra DF when going very quick on the straights.

AR3-GP

I'm surprised by how poorly fitting that panel appears to be.