Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
User avatar
Sieper
68
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Re: Red Bull RB18

Post

RZS10 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:26 pm
Sieper wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:35 pm
Would it be possible to produce a similar comparison for the other (top teams) cars in their respective threads?
I put it in the comparison thread as an update to my older post.
Outstanding work! =D> I will spent some time studying the analysis you did, thank you, I think I see that redbull opted to decouple right next to the nose, while Merc does the biggest decoupling somewhat inboard, where the wing is higher.
Controversy does not have a short memory.

clownfish
clownfish
0
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Re: Red Bull RB18

Post

I was looking at this pic from another thread, it's the internal floor stay from the RB18.

Image

Obviously the tube above has some length adjustment but does anyone know what the purpose of the machined billet piece underneath is? Just looks quite complex is all...

User avatar
vorticism
103
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:20 pm

Re: Red Bull RB18

Post

clownfish wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:38 pm
I was looking at this pic from another thread, it's the internal floor stay from the RB18.

https://i.postimg.cc/J7JdXgC7/XnnLnGwo.jpg

Obviously the tube above has some length adjustment but does anyone know what the purpose of the machined billet piece underneath is? Just looks quite complex is all...
That's a structural spar that supports the floor. IMO that's why they went with the wide sloped sidepod design--to have smooth bodywork over these robust floor supports. Which no other teams except maybe AT started the season with.

User avatar
Big Tea
92
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: Red Bull RB18

Post

clownfish wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:38 pm
I was looking at this pic from another thread, it's the internal floor stay from the RB18.

https://i.postimg.cc/J7JdXgC7/XnnLnGwo.jpg

Obviously the tube above has some length adjustment but does anyone know what the purpose of the machined billet piece underneath is? Just looks quite complex is all...
Does that loo like it is intended to move? (more than just under adjustment)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

User avatar
Sieper
68
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Re: Red Bull RB18

Post

It does look a bit like a miniature shock absorber.
Controversy does not have a short memory.

TimW
TimW
29
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: Red Bull RB18

Post

Sieper wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:16 pm
It does look a bit like a miniature shock absorber.
Looks like a turnbuckle, and that is also what you would expect to be there.

User avatar
chrisc90
8
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:22 pm

Re: Red Bull RB18

Post

Could be a turnbuckle to alter height of the floor for fine tuning any downforce at the rear.
No Mikey Noo! No! Nooo Mikey! That was sooo not riiight!!

User avatar
Big Tea
92
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: Red Bull RB18

Post

Sieper wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:16 pm
It does look a bit like a miniature shock absorber.
I mean more the way the metal carrier is mounted. It looks like it pivots, and what is the slot* in the 'arm'?
I know it would have to move when the rod is adjusted, but it seems elaborate to just be for an occasional adjustment when you consider cost and weight.
Difficult to see how the inner point is mounted though

Edit * Actually now I see it on a larger screen it may be a label rather than a slot. must get my eyes tested. :cry:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
506
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Red Bull RB18

Post

Henk_v wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:22 pm
RB has been very inactive on the front wing. I expect (and hope) now they have optimised a lot on the back and middle of the car to see a major front wing update. The time is about right to react on the MB front wing.
Where you make downforce on the front wing affect the front wheel wake and will dictate the bargeboard shape and so on.

RedBull bargboard and side pod philosophy likely do not need that wide outwash from the front wing. And they don't need the Mercedes solution.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌

====Zen level====
|||||||<@>||^||<@>|||||||

User avatar
vorticism
103
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:20 pm

Re: Red Bull RB18

Post

Unless this is pitch under braking numerous fotos show slight rake angle.

Image

Image

AR3-GP
AR3-GP
71
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:22 am

Re: Red Bull RB18

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:01 am
Henk_v wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:22 pm
RB has been very inactive on the front wing. I expect (and hope) now they have optimised a lot on the back and middle of the car to see a major front wing update. The time is about right to react on the MB front wing.
Where you make downforce on the front wing affect the front wheel wake and will dictate the bargeboard shape and so on.

RedBull bargboard and side pod philosophy likely do not need that wide outwash from the front wing. And they don't need the Mercedes solution.
How do you know all this?

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
506
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Red Bull RB18

Post

AR3-GP wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:27 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:01 am
Henk_v wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:22 pm
RB has been very inactive on the front wing. I expect (and hope) now they have optimised a lot on the back and middle of the car to see a major front wing update. The time is about right to react on the MB front wing.
Where you make downforce on the front wing affect the front wheel wake and will dictate the bargeboard shape and so on.

RedBull bargboard and side pod philosophy likely do not need that wide outwash from the front wing. And they don't need the Mercedes solution.
How do you know all this?
Observation of F1 over the years.

You can load towards the inside of the frront wing (Ferrari RedBull) or load more outward (Mercedes).

If You load inside more there will be more upwash to the centre of the car.

If you load the outside more.. Not as much to the centre. This also means there is a stronger tip vortex.

The flow is straighter if you more evenly load the centre of the wing like ferrari /redbull. They don't need the agressive turning vanes on the side of the chassis like mercedes and thet barge board vanes don't need to poke foward to straighten that curvature. They also don't have a strong vortex at the wing tip. They don't have to worry about bleeding off the drag here.


The Mercedes wing has a tighter more outward loading. So wingtip vortext is stronger. Flow near the chassis don't move upward as high but it gets pulled outward more. This is why you see the barge bord vanes poking out the front.

It's just two different philosophies.

User avatar
Zynerji
107
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: Red Bull RB18

Post

TimW wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:33 pm
Sieper wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:16 pm
It does look a bit like a miniature shock absorber.
Looks like a turnbuckle, and that is also what you would expect to be there.
The fact that the length on the female connector is longer than the exposed threads on the rose joint gives credence to a hydraulic compnent...🤔

User avatar
Stu
Moderator
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:05 am
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Red Bull RB18

Post

….or an encapsulated spring?
The more that I learn, the more I appreciate how much more there is to know….

TimW
TimW
29
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: Red Bull RB18

Post

Zynerji wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:34 am
TimW wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:33 pm
Sieper wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:16 pm
It does look a bit like a miniature shock absorber.
Looks like a turnbuckle, and that is also what you would expect to be there.
The fact that the length on the female connector is longer than the exposed threads on the rose joint gives credence to a hydraulic compnent...🤔
When you tighten a turnbuckle the thread disappears. A fully tightened turnbuckle will have no threads exposed.

But given that the turnbuckle has threads on both sides(right handed one side, left handed on the other) and you also need a length of thread engaged in the nut on both sides, this is probably near its maximum extension.