Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Red Bull RB18

GrizzleBoy wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 11:11
PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 06:09
organic wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 10:11

Single element beamwing surprises me but they have quite a big wing, same floor configuration as Singapore with the shortened/modified floor edge blade. Still haven't got a good look at the floor fences which have been revised. Wing level same as Zandvoort.
The side pod undercut is looking more like a double floor style sidepod now... but can't really say 100%
First thing I thought when I saw the side-on pic above is that it was somehow reminding me of Aston Martins original 2022 design.

I think it's just the sheer volume of exposed floor at the front giving that impression.
Their radiators underside is almost empty because they are using the blue area between the driver's ass & the boat tip to package as much systems (electronics etc) as possible (while other teams rely more on the sidepods). And their blue area is certainly bigger than other cars since RB has pushed the cockpit far rearwards, hence the big sidepod undercuts on the RB...
Their blue area looks busier than others, inside, and they even put some (big) electronic devices inside the floor's leading edges.
And they narrowed down the boat's front, to have bigger tunnel entries etc, thanks to that cockpit position IMO.

Stu

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 09:23
Stu wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 07:31
AR3-GP wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 06:50

F1 being F1, teams will lobby to outlaw it if one team is seen to be getting a big benefit from it.
The really interesting thing to consider is how you achieve this with torsion bars?
A coil spring is actually a torsion bar when you break it down from first principles.
You can use a double torsion bar in series to get similar effect.
I get that, but cannot quite get my head around how you could build the pre-load into it (which is the sole purpose of the dual inline springs in the video).
A progressive rising rate, I can picture; dual rate also.
Rocker ratios can be progressive or regressive (some are considered linear, but that is incorrect unless a sliding mechanism is used - half of the movement will be progressive, the other regressive).
The only way that I can envision this is if the link/slider viewed in the early part of the season between the lower ends of the torsion bars is a preloaded spring.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

AR3-GP

Stu wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 14:48
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Stu wrote:

The really interesting thing to consider is how you achieve this with torsion bars?
A coil spring is actually a torsion bar when you break it down from first principles.
I get that, but cannot quite get my head around how you could build the pre-load into it (which is the sole purpose of the dual inline springs in the video).
Rocker ratios can be progressive or regressive (some are considered linear, but that is incorrect unless a sliding mechanism is used - half of the movement will be progressive, the other regressive).
The only way that I can envision this is if the link/slider viewed in the early part of the season between the lower ends of the torsion bars is a preloaded spring.
Great question and interesting theory on the solution.

PlatinumZealot

Stu wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 14:48
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Stu wrote:

Two torsion desvices
Anti-roll bar
Torsion spring

Which one are you refering to?

If it is the torsion spring it is easier to do. You use two tubes and preload the base one by twisting it and locking it so it can only twist ahead of a certain point.

The anti-roll bar is trickier if you want to keep it a purely torsional device while having two rates becauase it ties both wheels together... But you can do a sleeved designed. Two sleeves that are torsion bars themselves that are pre-loaded and only rotate from a certain point.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 12:39
Red Bull are probably dropping the rear on the straights, but not to stall the diffuser as people are saying. Just to negate extra drag of running a bit of rake. It shouldn't be a cause of their high top speed if other teams are just running their cars at that low point anyway.
This is a vague counter argument.
Explain what do you mean by negating drag from rake.

Mercedes had virtually no rake on their previous cars and were dropping the rear of the car to the floor to reduce drag.

I imagine what is being done is the stall the diffuser, not in a strict sense off stalling that its not functioning, but cut some of the air flow to the point the efficiency and upwash is reduced considerably.
When this happens upwash to beam wing amd rear wing are also affected and wake of the car is also smaller hence less drag.
Another interaction at play is connecting flows between the brake winglets and diffuser edges.
That has not been investigated but its likely something is going on there as well when the rear is slammed.
For Sure!!

johndoucakis

did my post got deleted, and if so, may I ask why?

Mod edit, that post has now been reposted to the car comparison thread:
viewtopic.php?p=1094955#p1094955

chrisc90

johndoucakis wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 21:12
I seen that quickly whilst browsing on my mobile earlier. It did look a pretty good comparison of all the cars on the grid. I was especially intrigued by the driver placement in them, but without having a larger display at hand it was hard to draw any conclusions, but there was some cars that were noticeably more forward and some more rearwards driving position.

Sieper

I plussed you for it. Don’t know why it is gone.

Stu

johndoucakis wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 21:12
Yes, it did (twice).
It belongs in the 2022 car comparison thread.
Feel free to re-post it in the correct thread, where it will not be deleted.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

michl420

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 12:39
Red Bull are probably dropping the rear on the straights, but not to stall the diffuser as people are saying. Just to negate extra drag of running a bit of rake. It shouldn't be a cause of their high top speed if other teams are just running their cars at that low point anyway.
That would indicate that red bull intentionally doesn't drive the rear end as low as possible, do I understand that correctly?

organic

AR3-GP

organic wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 17:21
AT don't have nearly as much top speed despite having the same suspension. So the RB18's top speedmost likely has very complex origins (as in it is a multi-faceted engineering feat). Being able to lower the car at high speed doesn't just grant top speed otherwise we'd see it on the Alpha Tauri. AT even have the same gear ratios and PU.

organic

Will try to see the difference this weekend and find a good photo

organic

Cooling has returned to more typical cooling openings. The area behind the sharkfin (previously open) is now closed:

Mexico:

US GP:

gandharva