Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Formula Wrong

Re: Red Bull RB18

scheffers wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 10:21
AriaanGert wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 10:19
Doesn't the car look unfinished?
interesting 'kevlar' looking undercut sidpod there , you'd think it would be carbon like the rest of the bodywork? no expert here..
I'm not entirely sure what you mean to be honest; it all looks like CFK to me. (Kevlar/Aramid fibers shouldn't be a disadvantage if I'm not mistaken, but I'm not sure it's allowed for bodywork?)
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

One and Only

ojir19 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 11:18
One and Only wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 11:10
DAMNINice wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 11:09

Another point looking at your picture...
Do you guys think it is possible that the heat reflective material on the underside of the sidepod is actually touchiung / part of the radiator and cooling by external flow as well? Did anyone ever do this, using the bodywork as a cooler?
It would probably be very inefficient. Unless they have some really special material, but I can't think of any.
Perhaps this one, Pyrosic ...... imo, this used on the inside of the sidepod

https://www.epner.com/markets-we-serve/ ... mposite-2/
It's good for insulation, but you'd need something to disipate the heat. Heat disipation surface on radiatiors is insane. Just because it's compact doesn't seem so. It is possible to do it for sure, just IMO it's very ineffective.
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk." Tom Waits

Formula Wrong

Maye I've missed an explanation somewhere, but what's that "bump" on the sidepod for?
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

timbo

DAMNINice

Formula Wrong wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 11:22
Maye I've missed an explanation somewhere, but what's that "bump" on the sidepod for?
I guess it is a measureing device... maybe infrared for the rear tires.
Or an antenna for higher bandwidth data transfer of all the measure equipment.
REal men play with twins!

ojir19

Formula Wrong wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 11:22
tire sensor (maybe)

okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

AeroDynamic

FWandE

west52keep64 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 11:12
The car looks a little rough around the edges, it looks like they only just got it finished for the test. Several parts are rough 3D printed versions, and the livery isn't completely finished.
I was thinking just the same thing. There are some interesting ideas on the car, as with all the other cars, but so many people on this thread are already declaring it "the most radical", "most developed", "most exciting", "best engineered" car on the grid.

Will it be fast? Yes, almost certainly. RedBull have been a top team for a long time. How fast? Let us wait & see.
However, it is clear, to me at least, that the delay in releasing it was because they simply weren't quite ready. There is still plenty of time before the first race so I fully expect a tidy & competitive car by then.

Dee
Dee

FWandE wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 11:31
west52keep64 wrote:
The car looks a little rough around the edges, it looks like they only just got it finished for the test. Several parts are rough 3D printed versions, and the livery isn't completely finished.
I was thinking just the same thing. There are some interesting ideas on the car, as with all the other cars, but so many people on this thread are already declaring it "the most radical", "most developed", "most exciting", "best engineered" car on the grid.

Will it be fast? Yes, almost certainly. RedBull have been a top team for a long time. How fast? Let us wait & see.
However, it is clear, to me at least, that the delay in releasing it was because they simply weren't quite ready. There is still plenty of time before the first race so I fully expect a tidy & competitive car by then.
Marko said the car will be ready for testing and the launch was just for the livery

OO7
OO7

Mercedes are already using similar 'mirror stays'.

FWandE

Dee wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 11:36
FWandE wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 11:31
west52keep64 wrote:

Marko said the car will be ready for testing and the launch was just for the livery
Yes, and it is ready for testing.....just. If the car had been ready earlier they would have had the same big launch as everyone else. Those launches are important for the corporate side of the race teams business.

ojir19

okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

_cerber1

Dee
Dee

Does it look like a removable panel has been added and the testing sensor mounted on it?

Are they hiding something there?

DChemTech

Interesting 'wavy' part at the end of the Halo